Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49631
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Marky Dread »

Lots of confusion when the two takes of "Heartbreak Hotel" were recorded. I have a 101'ers album that state they were recorded at Orsett Terrace basement in 1975.

However I think the reason they ended up lumped in with the 101'ers stuff is probably they were recorded to tape by Mickey Foote.

The film by Diego Cortez (Manager of the Mudd Club) "Grutzi Elvis" was made in Germany in 1978. On the second take of "Heartbreak Hotel" known as the terrorist version Joe sings about being in Schalke, Germany. Mystery solved.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5893
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Olaf »

Yeah, but why Schalke of all places? New mystery created.
Jetzt das Kinderlied...

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49631
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 5:35am
Yeah, but why Schalke of all places? New mystery created.
Because that's where the film was recorded.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5893
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 6:40am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 5:35am
Yeah, but why Schalke of all places? New mystery created.
Because that's where the film was recorded.
Really? How weird.
Jetzt das Kinderlied...

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49631
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 6:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 6:40am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 5:35am
Yeah, but why Schalke of all places? New mystery created.
Because that's where the film was recorded.
Really? How weird.
Well it was filmed in Germany and as the two versions of "Heartbreak Hotel" were recorded for the soundtrack and Joe sings about being in Schalke, Germany that must've been where they were.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5893
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:21am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 6:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 6:40am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 5:35am
Yeah, but why Schalke of all places? New mystery created.
Because that's where the film was recorded.
Really? How weird.
Well it was filmed in Germany and as the two versions of "Heartbreak Hotel" were recorded for the soundtrack and Joe sings about being in Schalke, Germany that must've been where they were.
Just seems a weird place to shoot a movie. There's nothing there.

Can't seem to find much info on that movie anywhere.
Jetzt das Kinderlied...

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49631
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:38am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:21am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 6:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 6:40am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 5:35am
Yeah, but why Schalke of all places? New mystery created.
Because that's where the film was recorded.
Really? How weird.
Well it was filmed in Germany and as the two versions of "Heartbreak Hotel" were recorded for the soundtrack and Joe sings about being in Schalke, Germany that must've been where they were.
Just seems a weird place to shoot a movie. There's nothing there.

Can't seem to find much info on that movie anywhere.
There's not a lot of info out there. James Chance recorded a track called "Grutzi Elvis".

Here's a link to a collection of Diego Cortez material that mentions where the film was made.

https://rmc.library.cornell.edu/EAD/htm ... 08117.html
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5893
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:58am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:38am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:21am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 6:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 6:40am


Because that's where the film was recorded.
Really? How weird.
Well it was filmed in Germany and as the two versions of "Heartbreak Hotel" were recorded for the soundtrack and Joe sings about being in Schalke, Germany that must've been where they were.
Just seems a weird place to shoot a movie. There's nothing there.

Can't seem to find much info on that movie anywhere.
There's not a lot of info out there. James Chance recorded a track called "Grutzi Elvis".
That's a pretty horrible version of That's When Your Heartaches Begin. Track Three seems to point to Munich, but who knows.

Jetzt das Kinderlied...

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1740
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by dave202 »

Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 5:35am
Yeah, but why Schalke of all places? New mystery created.
I remember hearing an example of simple logic when a passenger had flown in to Belfast Airport and got a taxi into the city. "Why did they build the airport so far from the city?" he asked the driver, who replied, "Because that's where the planes land."

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49631
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 8:34am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:58am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:38am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:21am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 6:59am


Really? How weird.
Well it was filmed in Germany and as the two versions of "Heartbreak Hotel" were recorded for the soundtrack and Joe sings about being in Schalke, Germany that must've been where they were.
Just seems a weird place to shoot a movie. There's nothing there.

Can't seem to find much info on that movie anywhere.
There's not a lot of info out there. James Chance recorded a track called "Grutzi Elvis".
That's a pretty horrible version of That's When Your Heartaches Begin. Track Three seems to point to Munich, but who knows.

Every chance (no pun) that it was filmed in more than one location. Joe mentions Shalcke in the lyrics and mentions making a bomb. This version known as the "terrorist version" has been mentioned in various Clash books. Where in Germany isn't the point. The point is these are clearly the film tracks and not basement demos recorded in 1975 London while a member of the 101'ers.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 22890
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by matedog »

Not sure I've even heard of this? Did this get lumped in with the Louie Louie covers as "London Calling outtakes" by any chance? I can't keep this straight.

So the working theory is that Joe recorded this in 78 for a soundtrack?

These sounds pretty sped up.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49631
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 9:46am
Not sure I've even heard of this? Did this get lumped in with the Louie Louie covers as "London Calling outtakes" by any chance? I can't keep this straight.

So the working theory is that Joe recorded this in 78 for a soundtrack?

These sounds pretty sped up.
No not lumped in with LC outtakes. First appeared on cassette tapes back in the early 80s with the GEER demos. Then on a 101'ers bootleg vinyl and CD album called "Beat Music Dynamite!" the name taken from an original 101'ers poster. Name sound familiar?

I don't why you haven't heard them Andrew unless you never bother downloading anything I remaster. I've remastered them twice now on the compilation called "All the Peacemakers".

Yes the versions on YouTube are way too fast and sound crap. But the remasters sound great.

They have been mentioned in Clash books but no one seemed to know if they were 101'ers basement rehearsals as on The 101'ers bootleg named above or they were from The Clash era 1978. Well they are definitely from 1978 in my opinion. They are solo Joe tracks and I think it's Mickey Foote who is with Joe recording the two versions.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5893
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 9:17am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 8:34am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:58am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:38am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:21am


Well it was filmed in Germany and as the two versions of "Heartbreak Hotel" were recorded for the soundtrack and Joe sings about being in Schalke, Germany that must've been where they were.
Just seems a weird place to shoot a movie. There's nothing there.

Can't seem to find much info on that movie anywhere.
There's not a lot of info out there. James Chance recorded a track called "Grutzi Elvis".
That's a pretty horrible version of That's When Your Heartaches Begin. Track Three seems to point to Munich, but who knows.

Every chance (no pun) that it was filmed in more than one location. Joe mentions Shalcke in the lyrics and mentions making a bomb. This version known as the "terrorist version" has been mentioned in various Clash books. Where in Germany isn't the point.
It's not the point, but a point of interest for me. ;)
Jetzt das Kinderlied...

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 49631
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 10:35am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 9:17am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 8:34am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:58am
Olaf wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 7:38am


Just seems a weird place to shoot a movie. There's nothing there.

Can't seem to find much info on that movie anywhere.
There's not a lot of info out there. James Chance recorded a track called "Grutzi Elvis".
That's a pretty horrible version of That's When Your Heartaches Begin. Track Three seems to point to Munich, but who knows.

Every chance (no pun) that it was filmed in more than one location. Joe mentions Shalcke in the lyrics and mentions making a bomb. This version known as the "terrorist version" has been mentioned in various Clash books. Where in Germany isn't the point.
It's not the point, but a point of interest for me. ;)
Oh I know that mate. Just trying to clear things up for future reference.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 22890
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Joe Strummer "Heartbreak Hotel".

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 10:18am
matedog wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 9:46am
Not sure I've even heard of this? Did this get lumped in with the Louie Louie covers as "London Calling outtakes" by any chance? I can't keep this straight.

So the working theory is that Joe recorded this in 78 for a soundtrack?

These sounds pretty sped up.
No not lumped in with LC outtakes. First appeared on cassette tapes back in the early 80s with the GEER demos. Then on a 101'ers bootleg vinyl and CD album called "Beat Music Dynamite!" the name taken from an original 101'ers poster. Name sound familiar?

I don't why you haven't heard them Andrew unless you never bother downloading anything I remaster. I've remastered them twice now on the compilation called "All the Peacemakers".

Yes the versions on YouTube are way too fast and sound crap. But the remasters sound great.

They have been mentioned in Clash books but no one seemed to know if they were 101'ers basement rehearsals as on The 101'ers bootleg named above or they were from The Clash era 1978. Well they are definitely from 1978 in my opinion. They are solo Joe tracks and I think it's Mickey Foote who is with Joe recording the two versions.
Yeah, I definitely have not been keeping up with all your work. You are too prolific!

But on that note, I don't see it listed on your upload: https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 79#p561979
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Post Reply