When did tensions begin to flare up between Mick and Joe?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: When did tensions begin to flare up between Mick and Joe?

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 11:26am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 10:10am
Heston wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 7:50am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 7:28am
Heston wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 1:41pm
I keep saying it but weren't they basically on a break from Autumn 82 until Mick's sacking nearly a year later? Aside from Hell W10 and the short tour before the US Festival there wasn't much going on. Was it not the inertia that caused the split with Mick?
They were busy in the US Autumn 82, touring Combat Rock, the Who stadium shows & SNL appearance finishing up with the Jamaican festival in November. Maybe other promotion duties too, resulting in Combat Rock going top ten January 83 stateside.
Yeah so basically less than ten gigs between October 82 and late August 83.
They played at least 15 gigs Oct - Nov 82, their biggest shows too so lot's of pressure. Recorded 'House of the Ju-Ju Queen' single in Dec to finish out the year. So, autumn 82 looks busy to me but fair point with Jan-April 83 when CR was riding high in the US charts - were they just movie making and in the studio experimenting back in London?
Yeah, I meant from the end of October, which I count as autumn. So basically between their gig at LA Coliseum on 29th October and Mick's sacking at the end of August 83 they played 8 confirmed gigs in ten months, 7 of them in May. That's hardly a back breaking schedule and may as well represent a break to me. Yeah they were messing about with home movies and fun side projects but I still say it basically constituted nearly a year off. This is why I never buy the notion that they needed a break.
A break from each other.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Re: When did tensions begin to flare up between Mick and Joe?

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Heston wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 11:26am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 10:10am
Heston wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 7:50am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 7:28am
Heston wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 1:41pm
I keep saying it but weren't they basically on a break from Autumn 82 until Mick's sacking nearly a year later? Aside from Hell W10 and the short tour before the US Festival there wasn't much going on. Was it not the inertia that caused the split with Mick?
They were busy in the US Autumn 82, touring Combat Rock, the Who stadium shows & SNL appearance finishing up with the Jamaican festival in November. Maybe other promotion duties too, resulting in Combat Rock going top ten January 83 stateside.
Yeah so basically less than ten gigs between October 82 and late August 83.
They played at least 15 gigs Oct - Nov 82, their biggest shows too so lot's of pressure. Recorded 'House of the Ju-Ju Queen' single in Dec to finish out the year. So, autumn 82 looks busy to me but fair point with Jan-April 83 when CR was riding high in the US charts - were they just movie making and in the studio experimenting back in London?
Yeah, I meant from the end of October, which I count as autumn. So basically between their gig at LA Coliseum on 29th October and Mick's sacking at the end of August 83 they played 8 confirmed gigs in ten months, 7 of them in May. That's hardly a back breaking schedule and may as well represent a break to me. Yeah they were messing about with home movies and fun side projects but I still say it basically constituted nearly a year off. This is why I never buy the notion that they needed a break.
They certainly had plenty of downtime during this period interspersed by some huge gigs. Massive highs and lows. The devil makes work for idle hands to do rings true for the Clash in 83. Bad vibes increased as egos grew and gang mentality evaporated, reaching a dire point around and after the US festival. All stirred up and egged on by members of the inner sanctum. Happy days!