What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Re: What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Post by Toppers Boppers »

It still confounds me now, and I bought it on release day back in Dec 1980. It's a magnificent thing, changed my musical outlook in some ways but it took a few plays. 1980 was weird year for Clash fans in the UK, very on/off with gigs and releases then boom, a triple. I'd like to think there was a glimmer of one upmanship with Costello and Springsteen's 1980 double albums?

ClashCityHammer.
Corner Soul

Re: What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Post by ClashCityHammer. »

If memory serves it was widely regarded as particularly difficult to spell.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

ClashCityHammer. wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 1:17pm
🤣👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 3:29am
I'm curious about this. Was there a huge backlash? Seems like most people embraced it. Those who were more close minded probably got off board with them after LC anyhow. Still I could see S! being hugely jarring just the same. I know for me personally it took years of fandom and maturity for me to finally warm up to it.
Yes, there was a serious backlash in UK upon release, from memory it only got a couple of good press reviews and the rest panned it. It must have stung. Not even the change in pace and sound of UK hit single Bankrobber could prepare most fans for 2 hours of S! When they eventually played some of the S! songs on home turf in Oct 1981 I think some of the audience had caught up and got back into the Clash.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

ClashCityHammer. wrote:
One of the record dealers advertising in the NME classified ads listed it as 'Sand & Easter' !
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 3:28pm
ClashCityHammer. wrote:
One of the record dealers advertising in the NME classified ads listed it as 'Sand & Easter' !
Just like this thread title. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 11:29am
I bought it the day it was released. Some tracks took longer to get into. But it's one of my most played records ever. I love every groove of that album. I could go back to it and hear something new. Never boring!

Fuck all the silly little punk rockers that only wanted 1-2-3-4.
Truer words have never been said! Agree 100%. The only Clash record I still listen to on a regular basis and I still get something new from it every listen

DrStrangepork
Corner Soul

Post by DrStrangepork »

Wasn't quite around yet when this came out, but this was the first Clash album I ever listened to. I'd only heard some of the singles/popular songs before then, and decided to dive into Clash fandom upon seeing Sandinista! on a new release display when the '99 remaster came out. It's still, to this day, my favorite record from the Clash. 36 songs and I can only count one that I don't like. I own one of the 1980 UK pressings, and my digital version of the album has a slightly altered tracklist for sides 5 & 6.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JohnS wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 3:28pm
ClashCityHammer. wrote:
I remember that! But I'm pretty sure it was "Sand In Easter."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

It was still maligned heavily as late as '96. There's an issue of Guitar World that somebody posted in here a couple months ago that did a very short review of each album, S! getting 2/5 for its amount of filler and lightweight songs, and citing Kurt Cobain calling it the death of punk or something (as if his opinion meant dick).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 3:49pm
It was still maligned heavily as late as '96. There's an issue of Guitar World that somebody posted in here a couple months ago that did a very short review of each album, S! getting 2/5 for its amount of filler and lightweight songs, and citing Kurt Cobain calling it the death of punk or something (as if his opinion meant dick).

He has Combat Rock on his fav albums list? Got some Swans for Doc too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 3:54pm
Kory wrote:

He has Combat Rock on his fav albums list? Got some Swans for Doc too.
"Raping a Slave" is the most Swans song title, too. :twitch:
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

great list of records, tho
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 4:01pm
great list of records, tho
Yeah, he's not too cool for Aerosmith too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Yeah I guess it depends on what he thought was "punk".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia