What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Guest1

Re: What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Post by Guest1 »

matedog wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 2:35pm
I'm trying to think what would make up a Special Edition for S/T. I suspect no outtakes are available given the tight nature of the recordings, but there is some Julian Temple footage that could be paired with the Beaconsfield April 77 footage including some alt takes we know exist. Maybe the rest of the Brighton footage could pad the DVD. I don't think all of the 76 demos have been released either - a couple were missing on Sound System, but that's all I can think of for studio audio.

The only hope is any live tapes if Mickey Foote has any 76-77. The full Leicester show would be great if it exists too.
Include the early shit they did with Levine in the band: I can’t believe the flies, sitting at my party, mark me absent, etc...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 6:43pm
matedog wrote:
I'm trying to think what would make up a Special Edition for S/T. I suspect no outtakes are available given the tight nature of the recordings, but there is some Julian Temple footage that could be paired with the Beaconsfield April 77 footage including some alt takes we know exist. Maybe the rest of the Brighton footage could pad the DVD. I don't think all of the 76 demos have been released either - a couple were missing on Sound System, but that's all I can think of for studio audio.

The only hope is any live tapes if Mickey Foote has any 76-77. The full Leicester show would be great if it exists too.
Include the early shit they did with Levine in the band: I can’t believe the flies, sitting at my party, mark me absent, etc...
"How Can I Understand the Flies" there are only live versions of these tracks. I've remastered all the early stuff. I would be stunned if we ever get to hear better.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 7:10pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
matedog wrote:

"How Can I Understand the Flies" there are only live versions of these tracks. I've remastered all the early stuff. I would be stunned if we ever get to hear better.
I reckon there must be some dodgy cassette demos somewhere? Maybe maybe not. Still would be nice to have in CD form for completists. The band was so prolific in those 5 short years between 1977-1982 that I wouldn’t be shocked if we’ve already heard all there is to hear. Forget individual album re releases, even just an updated super black market clash with all the aforementioned plus whatever they could dig up would be welcome. Make it a 3 disc box set and throw in some limited edition art prints or some shit.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 7:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 7:10pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
matedog wrote:

I reckon there must be some dodgy cassette demos somewhere? Maybe maybe not. Still would be nice to have in CD form for completists. The band was so prolific in those 5 short years between 1977-1982 that I wouldn’t be shocked if we’ve already heard all there is to hear. Forget individual album re releases, even just an updated super black market clash with all the aforementioned plus whatever they could dig up would be welcome. Make it a 3 disc box set and throw in some limited edition art prints or some shit.
I doubt there's that much we've not heard over the years.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

A hugely upgraded Black Market Clash would be a great way to get the rest of the Rat Patrol stuff out there in pristine quality without releasing it as Rat Patrol.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 8:06pm
A hugely upgraded Black Market Clash would be a great way to get the rest of the Rat Patrol stuff out there in pristine quality without releasing it as Rat Patrol.
I would prefer a new compilation of rarities. Instead of yet another retread.

Black Market Clash
Super Black Market Clash
Ultra Black Market Clash?

Isn't the whole of SBMC included on the SS box?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 8:10pm
Totally
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Black Market Clash
Super Black Market Clash

Except for Justice Tonight/Kick it Over and Robber Dub.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 2:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Black Market Clash
Super Black Market Clash

Both superb of course. But my point is really we don't need them again on yet another comp.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 3:53pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Black Market Clash
Super Black Market Clash

Both superb of course. But my point is really we don't need them again on yet another comp.
Given that they're not on the supposed "last word" from the band, I think we would need them on whatever b-sides/rarities compilation came out next. SS makes SMBC obsolete except for those two, so they would need to be included on something that was a new collection. Salvaged from the wreckage and carried forward, if you will.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 4:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Black Market Clash
Super Black Market Clash

Given that they're not on the supposed "last word" from the band, I think we would need them on whatever b-sides/rarities compilation came out next. SS makes SMBC obsolete except for those two, so they would need to be included on something that was a new collection. Salvaged from the wreckage and carried forward, if you will.
Serving what purpose exactly? They don't need remastering and they are available on SBMC which any Clash fan worth their salt already owns. Seems a redundant idea to me.

SBMC came out in 1993 and again in1999 as part of those remasters.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 5:50pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Black Market Clash
Super Black Market Clash

Serving what purpose exactly? They don't need remastering and they are available on SBMC which any Clash fan worth their salt already owns. Seems a redundant idea to me.

I'm saying that a fair amount of Clash fans probably would get rid of a CD that only has two songs that they actually need after having purchased Sound System. If they were carried forward to a new collection that has the COB castoffs, and a bunch of other "new" stuff that's not repeated anywhere else (the rest of the RP mixes, the most decent live recordings of the Flies, etc. songs), then it would be more "complete," perhaps even being marketed as a Sound System companion disc. "Everything else."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 6:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 5:50pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm saying that a fair amount of Clash fans probably would get rid of a CD that only has two songs that they actually need after having purchased Sound System. If they were carried forward to a new collection that has the COB castoffs, and a bunch of other "new" stuff that's not repeated anywhere else (the rest of the RP mixes, the most decent live recordings of the Flies, etc. songs), then it would be more "complete," perhaps even being marketed as a Sound System companion disc. "Everything else."
Probably possibly. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

lanini66
Dirty Punk

Post by lanini66 »

As far as I remember, in Italy Sandinista was considered by the press as well as by the fans as a masterpiece. In 1981 they were huge in Italy: several covers in the music press, mag 7 often on the radio. They should have played in the most popular music program on TV, Discoring (a sort of Italian Top of the Pops), they were announced but at the end they didn't bother to show up...

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

lanini66 wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 11:08am
As far as I remember, in Italy Sandinista was considered by the press as well as by the fans as a masterpiece. In 1981 they were huge in Italy: several covers in the music press, mag 7 often on the radio. They should have played in the most popular music program on TV, Discoring (a sort of Italian Top of the Pops), they were announced but at the end they didn't bother to show up...
I understand Italy was also more fond of Van der Graaf Generator than the rest of the world. Good taste, there.