What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 12:35pm
All this is fair, but tbh I suspect a lot of this style of animus is rooted in other stuff -- maybe as simple as not really liking their music!
The Clash enjoyed the Weezer reputation of constantly disappointing the media and real fanz—their best stuff was always in the past—decades before Weezer. Dumb narratives get repeated because it's easy, just like everything about Springsteen proves he's the real voice of real America.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: What was the consensus surrounding Sandanista after its release in 81' amongst the Clash fanbase?

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 12:55pm
The Clash enjoyed the Weezer reputation of constantly disappointing the media and real fanz—their best stuff was always in the past—decades before Weezer. Dumb narratives get repeated because it's easy, just like everything about Springsteen proves he's the real voice of real America.
Weezer analogy is a good for another reason: both band's best album is their sophomore LP. :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
All this is fair, but tbh I suspect a lot of this style of animus is rooted in other stuff -- maybe as simple as not really liking their music!
I don't trust Weezer. I'm sure their dad is a diplomat. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 12:19pm
Inder wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 12:08pm
I really resent how The Clash are everyone's favourite targets for "working class betrayal" types and people outraged that they didn't live in penury as some kind of cosmic penance for being somewhat successful, especially after all the details on financials have come out in various books etc.

People like Lydon and his real estate stuff don't get picked apart nearly as much as Joe Strummer's father not being a bank robber.
Perhaps because Lydon didn't promote himself as a working-class advocate (beyond using his background as a shield from criticism). His line of politics was a lot more generalized—yay, freedom!—that could be applied to all classes and spectrum politics. I'm not saying it's right, but Lydon's never argued for anything but a noble selfishness, whereas the fact that the Clash claimed to advocate for others set themselves up as targets.
Not sure if recent Lydon counts, but there's this quote: "Where do I stand on Brexit? Well, here it goes, the working class have spoke and I’m one of them and I’m with them.”
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
Man, throwing in all the Hoy bait into one post.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
:lol: something something numbered Asian girl regularity

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 12:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
I really resent how The Clash are everyone's favourite targets for "working class betrayal" types and people outraged that they didn't live in penury as some kind of cosmic penance for being somewhat successful, especially after all the details on financials have come out in various books etc.

People like Lydon and his real estate stuff don't get picked apart nearly as much as Joe Strummer's father not being a bank robber.
Perhaps because Lydon didn't promote himself as a working-class advocate (beyond using his background as a shield from criticism). His line of politics was a lot more generalized—yay, freedom!—that could be applied to all classes and spectrum politics. I'm not saying it's right, but Lydon's never argued for anything but a noble selfishness, whereas the fact that the Clash claimed to advocate for others set themselves up as targets.
Not sure if recent Lydon counts, but there's this quote: "Where do I stand on Brexit? Well, here it goes, the working class have spoke and I’m one of them and I’m with them.”
Lazy faux populism, which is pretty much why he's a Trumpist now. The mystery is whether he believes his own bullshit or he's happily spinning to annoy.

matedog

Post by matedog »

London Calling seems to be the first time they embraced classic rock and roll. Obviously in 77 they had "No Elvis, Beatles..." (ignoring the Kinks riffs of course). It doesn't completely eschew modernity, particularly in the lyrics department as they are as Clashy as ever - Clampdown, drug references on Hateful and Koka Kola. Stuff you wouldn't hear on the source inspiration material.

It's interesting to assess it at the time vs. in retrospect. I'm not sure if either view is more valid, probably not, but it does really shape how you view it. I came at it from a classic rock perspective and loved it. It's the first album I got after Story Of and was completely hooked. It sounds timeless whereas Metal Box does sound more dated. The drums and bass tone really plant it in late 70s. Metal Box is obviously a much more challenging listen, albeit with some big payoffs. I don't know, I'm kind of thinking aloud here.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 1:03pm
matedog wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
:lol: something something numbered Asian girl regularity
:shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 1:12pm
London Calling seems to be the first time they embraced classic rock and roll. Obviously in 77 they had "No Elvis, Beatles..." (ignoring the Kinks riffs of course). It doesn't completely eschew modernity, particularly in the lyrics department as they are as Clashy as ever - Clampdown, drug references on Hateful and Koka Kola. Stuff you wouldn't hear on the source inspiration material.

It's interesting to assess it at the time vs. in retrospect. I'm not sure if either view is more valid, probably not, but it does really shape how you view it. I came at it from a classic rock perspective and loved it. It's the first album I got after Story Of and was completely hooked. It sounds timeless whereas Metal Box does sound more dated. The drums and bass tone really plant it in late 70s. Metal Box is obviously a much more challenging listen, albeit with some big payoffs. I don't know, I'm kind of thinking aloud here.
I've been remastering all the 101ers material I have. And it dawned on me that with songs like "Keep Taking the Tablets" and "Rabies (From the Dogs of Love)" they are closer to London Calling than The Clash and GEER.

An interesting piece of trivia also. When Chiswick Records released "Keys of Your Heart" in 1976 there was a mispress that featured "Brand New Cadillac" by Vince Taylor as the A-side. Ironic maybe.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 1:30pm
matedog wrote:

I've been remastering all the 101ers material I have. And it dawned on me that with songs like "Keep Taking the Tablets" and "Rabies (From the Dogs of Love)" they are closer to London Calling than The Clash and GEER.

An interesting piece of trivia also. When Chiswick Records released "Keys of Your Heart" in 1976 there was a mispress that featured "Brand New Cadillac" by Vince Taylor as the A-side. Ironic maybe.
Joe seemed to have developed an appreciation for the 101ers around 79/80. Or at least was more open about it. They did Keys to Your Heart live and Elgin Ave came out around then right? Did they play some gigs or am I imagining that?

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 11:40am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 11:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 9:18am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 3:29am
It’s when the PUNK influenced punk bands came along that I believe things really began to be dug into a rut. As much as I love early hardcore and OI this certainly fits that description. The would be Clashes, the eccentric, creative types moved onto post punk, jangle pop, industrial, and New Romantics, etc... That’s the way I see it anyhow.
Hardcore emerged from seeing how easy it was for initial punk bands to be co-opted or assimilated into the commercial structures that punk (supposedly) rejected. Early punk was a beta effort that, however cool the music and shock, didn't succeed because the record industry still believed it could play ball with them … and so did most of those bands. So hardcore worked even harder to not appeal and it worked for a long time, until Husker Du and then Nirvana showed that, crap, even this kind of music can be prey. However unintentionally, they fucked up by building larger audiences receptive to their approach, which is all the incentive corporate music types need. With punk, nothing fails like success.
I’m much more a fan of the Clash/Manics style of mass communication. If you got something to say might as well get it out to as many people as possible. It’s funny how I’m the age of social media you have people posting all their political hot takes online, But no one really has the balls to form a band in that vein anymore.
I'm torn because I can see the virtues and dangers in playing ball with the majors to gain a wider audience, but I lean against it because I'm skeptical that the you can succeed at larger goals working from within. Personal success, sure, but greater social success suggests arms length and a middle finger.
Meh but there have been few bands that have been truly effective as activists on the indie level scale. Fugazi (no booze, 5 dollar all ages shows) is probably the best concrete example. I feel like the Clash and Manics as mainstream bands probably did more for switching people onto working class/leftist politics than any small time punk band on some obscure Lithuanian cassette imprint. You need the masses. This is music for the masses. The working classes. Manics had a funny dichotomy of being both working class underdogs but also kind of despising their coal miner roots. They seem to embraced welsh nationalism much more post Richey’s death.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Inder wrote:
Flex wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 12:28pm
There's probably some happy medium where no one expects you to destroy your own life and ability to be happy and stable because we're all subject to living within the bounds of capitalism, but also that some level of critique, and consideration of how a person can try to ethically navigate a limited set of choices, is worth considering. That's not really about The Clash, per se, more of a general thought.
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 12:29pm
Inder wrote:

I agree it's all a cheap shot really. I think it's just The Clash tried to champion the poor and working class at times. Whereas Rotten/Lydon never tried to deny success and wealth. He was always happy to better himself.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:

Anyways, I find people like this the most boring people on the planet and have managed to do a good job avoiding them over the years. 🤝
John is a bit far up his own ass. The whole “The Sex Pistols killed rock n roll in 1977” thing is so cringy now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 2:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 11:40am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 11:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 9:18am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 3:29am
It’s when the PUNK influenced punk bands came along that I believe things really began to be dug into a rut. As much as I love early hardcore and OI this certainly fits that description. The would be Clashes, the eccentric, creative types moved onto post punk, jangle pop, industrial, and New Romantics, etc... That’s the way I see it anyhow.
Hardcore emerged from seeing how easy it was for initial punk bands to be co-opted or assimilated into the commercial structures that punk (supposedly) rejected. Early punk was a beta effort that, however cool the music and shock, didn't succeed because the record industry still believed it could play ball with them … and so did most of those bands. So hardcore worked even harder to not appeal and it worked for a long time, until Husker Du and then Nirvana showed that, crap, even this kind of music can be prey. However unintentionally, they fucked up by building larger audiences receptive to their approach, which is all the incentive corporate music types need. With punk, nothing fails like success.
I’m much more a fan of the Clash/Manics style of mass communication. If you got something to say might as well get it out to as many people as possible. It’s funny how I’m the age of social media you have people posting all their political hot takes online, But no one really has the balls to form a band in that vein anymore.
I'm torn because I can see the virtues and dangers in playing ball with the majors to gain a wider audience, but I lean against it because I'm skeptical that the you can succeed at larger goals working from within. Personal success, sure, but greater social success suggests arms length and a middle finger.
Meh but there have been few bands that have been truly effective as activists on the indie level scale. Fugazi (no booze, 5 dollar all ages shows) is probably the best concrete example. I feel like the Clash and Manics as mainstream bands probably did more for switching people onto working class/leftist politics than any small time punk band on some obscure Lithuanian cassette imprint. You need the masses. This is music for the masses. The working classes. Manics had a funny dichotomy of being both working class underdogs but also kind of despising their coal miner roots. They seem to embraced welsh nationalism much more post Richey’s death.
For the sake of argument, let's grant all that (and I'm less confident than you on all that). But: (A) How many bands got swallowed up, watered down, ground up and shat out by signing with a major? And (B) Does the mass even exist now (if it ever did)? We live in any number of shards, so there is no mass to appeal to. There ain't gonna be another Beatles or even Clash not because of a lack of a talent but because the media and social landscape denies that kind of widespread audience now. Signing away your life ain't worth it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 1:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 1:30pm
matedog wrote:

Joe seemed to have developed an appreciation for the 101ers around 79/80. Or at least was more open about it. They did Keys to Your Heart live and Elgin Ave came out around then right? Did they play some gigs or am I imagining that?
They played the Tabernacle in 1981 I seem to remember.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia