The Vanilla Sessions

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Vanilla Sessions

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 8:28am
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 4:56am
Wolter wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 8:29pm
QUestion: was this done as a single FLAC file or is my computer just doing weird things?
Your computer.
Well, dang it. Ok. I’ll figure this out I guess.
I'm sure you'll sort it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

Another Complete Package!
Great work Marky. Thank God music is your passion (or one of them).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JChampion wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 11:37am
Another Complete Package!
Great work Marky. Thank God music is your passion (or one of them).
Cheers JC appreciated. I had great fun working on these. Took an age but the results are damn good.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

what was the hardest track for you to work on Marky? Was it just generally cleaning up all the noise without making it sound lifeless? I think you did a great job at that. You should get hired by Yazoo Records or something to work on cleaning up old 78 transfers, lol.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky has released lots and lots of great stuff over the years, but this definitely has to go down as some of his most vital work. It brings these sessions from a peripheral, historical curiosity to a vital album's worth of material in their own right. It's like getting a new Clash record. Highly recommend people spend the weekend with this remaster if they haven't already.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 8:29am
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
QUestion: was this done as a single FLAC file or is my computer just doing weird things?
Your computer.
I'm sure you'll sort it.
I did. For some reason Firefox was just giving me a single Flac file, no rar to decompress, no folder, no artwork. But I tried another browser and it was fine. Thanks again for all the hard work you do!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 12:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 8:29am
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Your computer.
I'm sure you'll sort it.
I did. For some reason Firefox was just giving me a single Flac file, no rar to decompress, no folder, no artwork. But I tried another browser and it was fine. Thanks again for all the hard work you do!
Cheers Wolt. Glad you got it all sorted your end. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Flex wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 12:44pm
Marky has released lots and lots of great stuff over the years, but this definitely has to go down as some of his most vital work. It brings these sessions from a peripheral, historical curiosity to a vital album's worth of material in their own right. It's like getting a new Clash record. Highly recommend people spend the weekend with this remaster if they haven't already.
I definitely agree with the above, it was something I listened to once, found it unlistenable and never touched again. Now it's like have a new Clash record!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 12:43pm
what was the hardest track for you to work on Marky? Was it just generally cleaning up all the noise without making it sound lifeless? I think you did a great job at that. You should get hired by Yazoo Records or something to work on cleaning up old 78 transfers, lol.
I can't say which track was the hardest. This went through loads of different permutations. It's how I work always. It's totally a hit and miss type of thing with me. I've got loads of different techniques I use to get results. Too many to discuss here. Each track would've had around 5 to 10 different mixes until I was satisfied.

You know that new Joe album "Assembly" was done by a Grammy award winner and it's still brickwalled. I can mix better than that with my limited resources any day of the week. These people just don't understand rock 'n' roll at all.

Making something louder doesn't make it better. It just makes it louder.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 2:18pm
Flex wrote:
I can't say which track was the hardest. This went through loads of different permutations. It's how I work always. It's totally a hit and miss type of thing with me. I've got loads of different techniques I use to get results. Too many to discuss here. Each track would've had around 5 to 10 different mixes until I was satisfied.

You know that new Joe album "Assembly" was done by a Grammy award winner and it's still brickwalled. I can mix better than that with my limited resources any day of the week. These people just don't understand rock 'n' roll at all.

Exactly! I know next to nothing about production, but it’s absurd how brickwalled so many supposedly skilled productions have been in the last 25 years.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Anyway I’m only three tracks in and my god this is so much more compelling to hear than the original.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 2:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:

Exactly! I know next to nothing about production, but it’s absurd how brickwalled so many supposedly skilled productions have been in the last 25 years.
I'm fed up of feeling conned with certain reissues.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 2:38pm
Anyway I’m only three tracks in and my god this is so much more compelling to hear than the original.
It's definitely a better listen now in my opinion. I was always fascinated by the tracks turning up after so long. What with Johnny Green believing he had lost the only vital copy on the London Underground back in the day.
Still there's nothing to say that Mick's tape and the one Johnny lost were both recorded at the same time of the recording/rehearsing process. The tape Johnny lost could've been different takes. I guess we'll never know.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:

You know that new Joe album "Assembly" was done by a Grammy award winner and it's still brickwalled.
Joe Strummer 001 was done by a different Grammy award winner, and as you know, that’s brickwalled, perhaps more so than Assembly. We’re supposed to be impressed with “Grammy award winner,” but that’s just marketing hype if the person makes the songs louder without proper (re)mastering.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
01 May 2021, 8:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:

You know that new Joe album "Assembly" was done by a Grammy award winner and it's still brickwalled.
Joe Strummer 001 was done by a different Grammy award winner, and as you know, that’s brickwalled, perhaps more so than Assembly. We’re supposed to be impressed with “Grammy award winner,” but that’s just marketing hype if the person makes the songs louder without proper (re)mastering.
All true and very disappointing. Also disrespectful to the artist whose music deserves better treatment and to us fans who re-buy this stuff time after time. The Sound System box set was a great example of how things should be remastered.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia