Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Hypothetical 6th Clash record if Mick never left

Post by Heston »

oliver wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 10:57am
Anyone know if Sudden Impact and Medicine Show are Don lyrics, Mick lyrics or a collaboration?
Don said he wrote a lot of lyrics for the first album. Judging by the credits he had at least a lyrical hand in everything apart from The Bottom Line. He wrote all of the words for E=mc2 apparently, that genuinely surprised me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Heston wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 12:40pm
oliver wrote:
Anyone know if Sudden Impact and Medicine Show are Don lyrics, Mick lyrics or a collaboration?
Don said he wrote a lot of lyrics for the first album. Judging by the credits he had at least a lyrical hand in everything apart from The Bottom Line. He wrote all of the words for E=mc2 apparently, that genuinely surprised me.
Still not sure how the lyrics went from such a plus on the debut to more often than not a negative and borderline cringeworthy on albums 3 and 4, particularly as Don I believe had said at one point that he was Mick's "lyrical apprentice" on the debut and, Upping St. aside, presumably played a larger role thereafter (which you would think would involve getting better and not worse). Indeed, I occasionally find it hard to believe that the same people were writing the lyrics across all 4 albums (although this can be said for a few artists).

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

drowninghere wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 1:23pm
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:
Still not sure how the lyrics went from such a plus on the debut to more often than not a negative and borderline cringeworthy on albums 3 and 4, particularly as Don I believe had said at one point that he was Mick's "lyrical apprentice" on the debut and, Upping St. aside, presumably played a larger role thereafter (which you would think would involve getting better and not worse). Indeed, I occasionally find it hard to believe that the same people were writing the lyrics across all 4 albums (although this can be said for a few artists).
I agree. They lost a lot of wit and subtlety on 3 and 4.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

drowninghere wrote:
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:
I wouldn't say they were that bad on Tighten Up and Megatop but they had a lot to live up to after the debut. The writing credits got a lot more varied from Tighten Up onwards, I think Megatop was mostly written while Mick was recovering from pneumonia.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Heston wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 1:28pm
drowninghere wrote:
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:
I wouldn't say they were that bad on Tighten Up and Megatop but they had a lot to live up to after the debut. The writing credits got a lot more varied from Tighten Up onwards, I think Megatop was mostly written while Mick was recovering from pneumonia.
Idk I still consider Megatop Pheonix to be an absolute sprawling masterpiece, shoddy lyrics or not. So ahead of it's time in many ways. Like Screamadellica before Primal Scream. I feel like it's an album that deserves critical re evaluation.

Heston

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 1:48pm
Heston wrote:
drowninghere wrote:
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:
Idk I still consider Megatop Pheonix to be an absolute sprawling masterpiece, shoddy lyrics or not. So ahead of it's time in many ways. Like Screamadellica before Primal Scream. I feel like it's an album that deserves critical re evaluation.
I wouldn't say any of the first four albums were lyrically shoddy myself, generally speaking, but that debut album was a lot to live up to. Tighten Up in particular got a bit of slating for the lyrics but I thought it was a fun diversion into pop for them. I love the lyrics in Applecart, All Saints Rd, Esquerita, and the title track.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Heston wrote:
He wrote all of the words for E=mc2 apparently, that genuinely surprised me.
I heard him on podcast say it was the first set of lyrics he gave to Mick too.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 2:00pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Heston wrote:
drowninghere wrote:
Heston wrote:

I wouldn't say any of the first four albums were lyrically shoddy myself, generally speaking, but that debut album was a lot to live up to. Tighten Up in particular got a bit of slating for the lyrics but I thought it was a fun diversion into pop for them. I love the lyrics in Applecart, All Saints Rd, Esquerita, and the title track.
Bad lyrics can be mitigated with good music, but not vice-versa. I find it very valuable to not care much about lyrics unless they're REALLY bad. However, it does make it harder to write my own.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 3:51pm
Bad lyrics can be mitigated with good music, but not vice-versa. I find it very valuable to not care much about lyrics unless they're REALLY bad.
Totally. There's thousands of songs I love with lyrics that could have been written on the back of a cigarette packet in 2 minutes. But all the better if you get both sides right.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Heston wrote:
drowninghere wrote:

Bad lyrics can be mitigated with good music, but not vice-versa. I find it very valuable to not care much about lyrics unless they're REALLY bad. However, it does make it harder to write my own.
Same reason I can’t get into Dylan. Some great songs interspersed throughout his discography. Some even greater lyrics but too often, the tune simply isn’t there.
Monotonous folk strumming simply isn’t my thing.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 7:09pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Heston wrote:

Same reason I can’t get into Dylan. Some great songs interspersed throughout his discography. Some even greater lyrics but too often, the tune simply isn’t there.
There’s also like a ton of shitty hair metal bands I absolutely adore despite the cornball lyrics. I must admit.

Heston

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yep.

Heston

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 7:22pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

There’s also like a ton of shitty hair metal bands I absolutely adore despite the cornball lyrics. I must admit.
Nope.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Heston wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 7:24pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

Nope.
Did I ruffle some feathers?

Heston

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 7:26pm
Heston wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 7:24pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Kory wrote:

Nope.
Did I ruffle some feathers.
Not really.
criss4.jpg