Synths/Drum Machines used by the Clash

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Guest1

Synths/Drum Machines used by the Clash

Post by Guest1 »

I could care less about whatever abortion produced the sounds on Cut the Crap, but Combat Rock and to a lesser extent Sandanista has some really tasty synth stuff going on in the background. I’m thinking it must either be a Prophet 5 or a Jupiter 8 based on the time period, possibly a minimoog as well. The Call up is definitely a CR-78 for the drum intro. Was any of this ever documented?

River
Long Time Jerk

Re: Synths/Drum Machines used by the Clash

Post by River »

The main one used (especially live) was the Pearl Syncussion. That's what you hear on stuff like Radio Clash. As for other synths, your guess is as good as mine. The only other thing I know of is the guitar synth Mick was using for Combat Rock and live in 82, the Roland SPV-355. It's majorly used in Combat Rock and was used quite a bit during the shows, especially in Japan. That low drone during like Charlie Don't Surf in the Tokyo show is that.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

River wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 6:12pm
The main one used (especially live) was the Pearl Syncussion. That's what you hear on stuff like Radio Clash. As for other synths, your guess is as good as mine. The only other thing I know of is the guitar synth Mick was using for Combat Rock and live in 82, the Roland SPV-355. It's majorly used in Combat Rock and was used quite a bit during the shows, especially in Japan. That low drone during like Charlie Don't Surf in the Tokyo show is that.
I'm wondering if that's the same one Stephen Morris from Joy Division used. They sound similar at least?

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 1:27pm
I could care less about whatever abortion produced the sounds on Cut the Crap, but Combat Rock and to a lesser extent Sandanista has some really tasty synth stuff going on in the background. I’m thinking it must either be a Prophet 5 or a Jupiter 8 based on the time period, possibly a minimoog as well. The Call up is definitely a CR-78 for the drum intro. Was any of this ever documented?
And here's me going around telling people "Topper was that good he could play anything"

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

white man wrote:
01 May 2021, 3:51am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
And here's me going around telling people "Topper was that good he could play anything"
Honestly he was more grounded in the fundamentals than a lot of drummers. A lot of the early rock and roll guys were similarly versed in Latin, Jazz, Big Band, etc but that art of subtlety was definitely lost as time went on. I still would love for topper to do a record. Doesn’t need to tour; I understand that can lead to certain temptations. But still, him doing an album of old Jazz, Soul, and Funk standards would be awesome. Can’t ever get enough of his drumming.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
01 May 2021, 6:14am
white man wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Honestly he was more grounded in the fundamentals than a lot of drummers. A lot of the early rock and roll guys were similarly versed in Latin, Jazz, Big Band, etc but that art of subtlety was definitely lost as time went on. I still would love for topper to do a record. Doesn’t need to tour; I understand that can lead to certain temptations. But still, him doing an album of old Jazz, Soul, and Funk standards would be awesome. Can’t ever get enough of his drumming.
Did you heard is solo album back in 1986 ?
I m agree with you he can produce something with a little hello from some friends and don t have to tour anymore. Just for fun

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

bazarboy75 wrote:
01 May 2021, 6:55am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
01 May 2021, 6:14am
white man wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Did you heard is solo album back in 1986 ?
I m agree with you he can produce something with a little hello from some friends and don t have to tour anymore. Just for fun
Yes I have it on cassette remarkably enough. I remember wanting to hear it so bad back in the day but it wasn't on YouTube or anywhere and so I ended up copping it on eBay along with a shitty Marantz portable tape deck for like 10 bucks.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

He also has that really nice electronic Roland drum set I saw him banging on recently. He could always even record remotely if someone sent him the tracks. Maybe even start a YouTube drum covers channel?

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
01 May 2021, 7:34am
He also has that really nice electronic Roland drum set I saw him banging on recently. He could always even record remotely if someone sent him the tracks. Maybe even start a YouTube drum covers channel?
Oh that s a great idea mate
Yeah i saw hum on the Roland too
Someone got his contact ?

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

bazarboy75 wrote:
01 May 2021, 7:41am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
01 May 2021, 7:34am
Oh that s a great idea mate
Yeah i saw hum on the Roland too
Someone got his contact ?
Lol no I wish.

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

When i had a small Chat with Mick after a Gorillaz Show, He told me that Topper is really well and very comfortable with staying away from any form of publicity. So i would not count in any output from him

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

chocolatejesus wrote:
02 May 2021, 2:37am
When i had a small Chat with Mick after a Gorillaz Show, He told me that Topper is really well and very comfortable with staying away from any form of publicity. So i would not count in any output from him
That’s understandable. You should never jeopardize mental well being to satiate some random fans.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

I still hope we can get some sort of collective oral history of the band. Just one final document.

RockaPhillyClash
Corner Soul

Post by RockaPhillyClash »

Personally, I think I an interesting documentary still to be made would be interviews with just the drummers, Terry, Rob, Topper & Pete - Not talking too much about their contribution or how they ended up in the drum chair, but rather offering up their their perspectives as to what was going on during their time with the band. Dudanski from the 101ers. Geir Waade from the SS. A clearer perspective might come from the periphery just beyond the spark

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
The Call up is definitely a CR-78 for the drum intro. Was any of this ever documented?
I came across that sample (are they called samples?) in this

last year and couldn't believe I hadn't realized that was a synth thing. I then started hearing it in like a million songs afterwards (well, like four more).

There was a funny moment in a White Album deluxe thing promo session where a musician is told the flamenco intro to Bungalow Bill is a preloaded Mellotron sample. Imagine how many people have tried to work that out for themselves on guitar while it was literally someone in the studio pressing a key!