The Clash Video Footage | Kinolibrary x Don Letts

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

The Clash Video Footage | Kinolibrary x Don Letts

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Just published. Not 1980s, obviously.

And Simmo:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Clash Video Footage | Kinolibrary x Don Letts

Post by Heston »

Holy shit, this is great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Silent Clash on Broadway-era footage:

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
06 May 2021, 12:09pm

And Simmo:

Great stuff. Can anyone ID the two gigs?
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

Cool stuff. It's only taken like 22 years since most of these clips were used in westway to the world lol. I remember there's drug stabbing time from the same 1978 gig above. That'll hopefully show up soon too.

https://vimeo.com/173266237

There's still Janie Jones gig audio & White Man audio needed for the super 8 medley that was in sound system

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
06 May 2021, 12:09pm

And Simmo:

F'ing awesome videos, thank you for finding and sharing!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Great stuff

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Looks like Pressure Drop only got play before 81 on the White Riot tour (that way know of). There's not a lot of photo documentation of most shows, so I couldn't figure it out based on their clothes from a 5 minute or so search of BMC.

Other clips have to be late 78. I assumed Lyceum, but the clothes and flags don't exactly match up.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

The audio from City of the Dead sounds identical to the FHTE version which I think was from the Lyceum. Could be a good one for someone to audio match.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

yetaca wrote:
06 May 2021, 1:46pm
Cool stuff. It's only taken like 22 years since most of these clips were used in westway to the world lol. I remember there's drug stabbing time from the same 1978 gig above. That'll hopefully show up soon too.

https://vimeo.com/173266237

There's still Janie Jones gig audio & White Man audio needed for the super 8 medley that was in sound system
Watching this now, thank you.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

Heston wrote:
06 May 2021, 3:03pm
The audio from City of the Dead sounds identical to the FHTE version which I think was from the Lyceum. Could be a good one for someone to audio match.
No it's not that gig.

Also, did nobody realize that the ending of city of the dead is actually the ending of stay free in the video?

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

And pressure drop is from somewhere on white riot tour. Not civic hall Guildford, all I can surmise though

matedog

Post by matedog »

Just realized this is the first footage of City and Pressure that I think we’ve ever seen.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Fuck! Those were fantastic. Found myself head banging along to Janie Jones, haha. As for ID on the videos, I just went through the shows for 78 that include City of the Dead and nothing matches to it, even the Lyceum ones. So it has to be some random show we don't have a tape of. Either way, the footage is amazing. There's also some wonderful footage of all the punks hanging out, with the one major similarity for each video being the blaring reggae. Shows perfectly how obsessed they all were with it.

matedog

Post by matedog »

yetaca wrote:
06 May 2021, 9:42pm
Heston wrote:
06 May 2021, 3:03pm
No it's not that gig.

Also, did nobody realize that the ending of city of the dead is actually the ending of stay free in the video?
Good catch on Stay Free. Combine them and it's pretty much the full song.

I just confirmed the FHTE version is different. First obvious thing is Joe shouting "BUT!" or something similar right before the "City of the dead/fall in bed" verse is on FHTE, but not this version.