Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:25pm
Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:09pm
matedog wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 3:05pm

Here's a cleaned up alt. take of KYR.
https://mega.nz/file/Y0oXUSyT#R1m5_XxHT ... dLPxPmicoI
Yeesh, that's even more belligerent than the CR version.
Yep Joe is proper shouting out those vocals. I think this is the take where they were arguing over bass levels.
It's the bass I love about that version, it sounds great.
Really? This is the version I cleaned up. Before it was distorted to hell with the vass too loud.
Ah, I never checked the link, I assumed it was that footage from the studio in NY when Simonon is plunking away and the bass sounds really good.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

dave202 wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:14pm
IkarisOne wrote:
18 May 2021, 2:00pm
This might sound like an off the wall choice but Todd Rundgren would have been a good pick too. I think he and Mick would have hit it off and he was/is a big a pothead as they were. He helped The Psychedelic Furs and Cheap Trick make the transition from riff-rock to more mainstream New Wave club-ready stuff and could have done the same with The Clash.
Don't forget his work with Patti Smith on her fourth album, 'Wave', still my second favourite to 'Horses'. Why hasn't John Cale been mentioned as a probable producer. Well, hmm...
Yes, "Frederick" still sounds amazing today. But Cale and the Clash would definitely not gel IMO

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:25pm
Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:09pm
matedog wrote:

Yep Joe is proper shouting out those vocals. I think this is the take where they were arguing over bass levels.
It's the bass I love about that version, it sounds great.
Really? This is the version I cleaned up. Before it was distorted to hell with the vass too loud.
Ah, I never checked the link, I assumed it was that footage from the studio in NY when Simonon is plunking away and the bass sounds really good.
Ahh yes I like that mix also. Wish we had the whole thing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

IkarisOne wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:38pm
dave202 wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
This might sound like an off the wall choice but Todd Rundgren would have been a good pick too. I think he and Mick would have hit it off and he was/is a big a pothead as they were. He helped The Psychedelic Furs and Cheap Trick make the transition from riff-rock to more mainstream New Wave club-ready stuff and could have done the same with The Clash.
Don't forget his work with Patti Smith on her fourth album, 'Wave', still my second favourite to 'Horses'. Why hasn't John Cale been mentioned as a probable producer. Well, hmm...
Yes, "Frederick" still sounds amazing today. But Cale and the Clash would definitely not gel IMO
Hence the, "hmm...", he had worked well with early American punk bands like Jonathan Richman and Patti Smith, and although he would also later work with Brian Eno, who has also been mentioned previously, I couldn't see it happening or working. Mick Jones as producer is still the one for me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
18 May 2021, 4:38pm
dave202 wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Cale worked with Sham 69 and Squeeze early on. But I'm with CK I can't imagine him being a fit for The Clash.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
18 May 2021, 2:51pm
Interesting that the mixing session footage lyrics are closer to Combat Rock than to Rat Patrol eventhough I believe this was made in November or December 81 (ie prior to Rat Patrol being completed):
Too bad Joe didn't add a Mark E. Smith "-uh" at the end of every line. That would've been pretty sweet.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I love those Mellotrons(?) at the end of Death Is a Star. I was always disappointed with this song being the original line-up's last word, but this puts a new emotional slant on it. I really dig this song now, it just needed the right mix.

Been listening to nothing else but this album all weekend, this is Clash heaven.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
18 May 2021, 2:51pm
Interesting that the mixing session footage lyrics are closer to Combat Rock than to Rat Patrol eventhough I believe this was made in November or December 81 (ie prior to Rat Patrol being completed):
Thanks Matedog & Marky, something good to watch & another good listen as well.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 5:22pm
I love those Mellotrons(?) at the end of Death Is a Star. I was always disappointed with this song being the original line-up's last word, but this puts a new emotional slant on it. I really dig this song now, it just needed the right mix.

Been listening to nothing else but this album all weekend, this is Clash heaven.
Totally agree! Hated this song on Combat Rock. Still hated it on the previous “releases” of Rat Patrol. Suddenly it all makes sense. The mix totally changes the vibe.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

The fade in on Straight to Hell is an unexpectedly brilliant way to open the album. I assumed it was a natural closer, but it was really powerful as an opener in the context of the rest of the album.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

matedog wrote:
18 May 2021, 5:36pm
The fade in on Straight to Hell is an unexpectedly brilliant way to open the album. I assumed it was a natural closer, but it was really powerful as an opener in the context of the rest of the album.
And so different to all the previous album openers.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Did this experience sour Mick Jones the frontier experimentier? I don't see this guy reappear in his released career; once bitten, twice shy? I can see why BAD started with a primary colour pop sensibility and the maestro only enjoyed himself with the grooving in the extended track lengths - he wanted to tell his former band to get fucked by being more successful commercially. But why didn't we see him give us another song like the seven minute Sean Flynn on later albums? BAD seemed to lose a sense of potential and settled into only the barest changes in style.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

There's a great funk guitar line in Atom Tan that is buried in the CR version. Then there's that little snare roll after "machine gun", echoes of I Fought the Law. Mick's "calamine" is great at the end too. Much much better than the released version.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 6:16pm
There's a great funk guitar line in Atom Tan that is buried in the CR version. Then there's that little snare roll after "machine gun", echoes of I Fought the Law. Mick's "calamine" is great at the end too. Much much better than the released version.
There's an understated melancholic beauty around the approach to Car Jamming here that's totally unexpected. It's gone from a minor tier song to a top ten. Glyn Johns is a fucking butcher, man. This is pure sensation.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

"Better make Inoculated City shorter and worse! There needs to be room for Red Angel Dragnet! I'm very successful!"

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/