Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
19 May 2021, 12:02pm
I know I go on about TOTP but I always think of this alternate timeline where they went on the show and Young Heston got to see them at the Newcastle City Hall in July 82.
Don't feel too bad, you wouldn't have seen Topper!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 May 2021, 12:34pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 May 2021, 12:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 May 2021, 12:21pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 May 2021, 12:10pm
I guess Bankrobber doesn't really count on account of the band not actually "performing" it. I know i must have seen it at the time as i never missed an episode of totp but can't remember what my reaction was or what i even thought of the band at that moment.
Legs and Co. Were the real punks. ;)
Were they more post punk? Pans People were the real punk trail blazers, though before my time admittedly!
Well the Go-Jos were the first dance troupe on Heston's favourite show. So they were the mersey beat dance troupe and maybe Pans People were the psychedelic dance troupe and Ruby Flipper the glam dance troupe. Legs and Co. the punk dance troupe
and finally Zoo the post punk/new romantic dance troupe.

But hey who knows. ;)
And i thought i knew waaay too much about top of the pops ;) :mrgreen:

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Roger Daltry bigged up the Clash on one 1980 episode of TOTP when Bankrobber was climbing the charts, he said he was expecting to see them on the show, protesting too much to be credible. I remember thinking the Clash would actually appear the week after that despite their stance, then came Legs & Co :naughty:

The only other exposure they got was when IFTL and LC singles had got a spin as the opening / closing tracks on TOTP, presumably A&R pushed for that.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
19 May 2021, 1:00pm
Roger Daltry bigged up the Clash on one 1980 episode of TOTP when Bankrobber was climbing the charts, he said he was expecting to see them on the show, protesting too much to be credible. I remember thinking the Clash would actually appear the week after that despite their stance, then came Legs & Co :naughty:

The only other exposure they got was when IFTL and LC singles had got a spin as the opening / closing tracks on TOTP, presumably A&R pushed for that.
I recall he made a comment something along the lines of "we dont have the clash tonight but we have lots of pretty girls". Or something like that. Not sure was that the same show he made the Village People comment or was that before?

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Inder wrote:
19 May 2021, 10:40am
matedog wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:56pm
This is pretty much it:
Switching hands in the chorus is what they call mach schau.

This is my main beef with late-period Topper-- nimble but static and unloose drumming on most of the songs. That's an absolutely undanceable beat, severely lacking in swing. It's all very competent and efficient, just extremely dull and uninspiring for the most part. I guess Mick wanted Topper to approximate all those early drum computers on the stuff he was listening to and Topper was too far out of his skull to argue about it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
19 May 2021, 12:42pm
Heston wrote:
I know I go on about TOTP but I always think of this alternate timeline where they went on the show and Young Heston got to see them at the Newcastle City Hall in July 82.
In this alternate timeline, Peter Criss replaced Topper. Believe me, that universe's CTC was so much worse.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2021, 1:34pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
In this alternate timeline, Peter Criss replaced Topper. Believe me, that universe's CTC was so much worse.
Hahaha

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Yeah but Joe's singing was much better and Mick's excesses had been reined in. The 14/7/82 boot is great, I've heard it many times.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:
19 May 2021, 1:38pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Yeah but Joe's singing was much better and Mick's excesses had been reined in. The 14/7/82 boot is great, I've heard it many times.
Joe's singing was better because Mick's excesses had been reined in. Meaning he forced Mick to turn down so he could hear himself sing.

Heston

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
19 May 2021, 1:47pm
Heston wrote:
19 May 2021, 1:38pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Joe's singing was better because Mick's excesses had been reined in. Meaning he forced Mick to turn down so he could hear himself sing.
Indeed, and it worked a treat. I think Joe had taken singing lessons as well? Also the fixed teeth would have helped.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

I know this has probably been addressed already but this thread is so long and winding.

The four other tracks NOT on this acetate that would complete the double LP are :
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn
Cool Confusion
Idle In Kangaroo Court

Questions:
1. Are the Sound System versions for Cool Confusion and Idle In Kangaroo Mick's mixes?
2. Are the Sound System versions of Ghetto Defendant (extended 6:13) and Sean Flynn (extended 7:20) Mick's mixes BUT the edited Combat Rock versions are strictly Glyn Johns remixes? In other words, did Glyn remix the extended versions then decide to edit them down to 4:43 and 4:31 respectively?
3. If I take these four Sound System songs and add them to the cleaned up acetate songs, I will have as close to Mick's Rat Patrol 2LP as possible?
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

YoungParisians wrote:
19 May 2021, 1:54pm
I know this has probably been addressed already but this thread is so long and winding.

The four other tracks NOT on this acetate that would complete the double LP are :
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn
Cool Confusion
Idle In Kangaroo Court

Questions:
1. Are the Sound System versions for Cool Confusion and Idle In Kangaroo Mick's mixes?
2. Are the Sound System versions of Ghetto Defendant (extended 6:13) and Sean Flynn (extended 7:20) Mick's mixes BUT the edited Combat Rock versions are strictly Glyn Johns remixes? In other words, did Glyn remix the extended versions then decide to edit them down to 4:43 and 4:31 respectively?
3. If I take these four Sound System songs and add them to the cleaned up acetate songs, I will have as close to Mick's Rat Patrol 2LP as possible?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 May 2021, 1:55pm
YoungParisians wrote:

Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn
Cool Confusion
Idle In Kangaroo Court

Questions:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
Correct. Teddy B did confirm as much in this thread earlier.

I didn't realize how much of a nod to Rat Patrol the end of the Sound System extras disc 2 is:
Beautiful People
Idle
Ghetto Defendant
Cool Confusion
Sean Flynn
Straight to Hell

All the Rat Patrol versions.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

matedog wrote:
19 May 2021, 1:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 May 2021, 1:55pm
YoungParisians wrote:

Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn
Cool Confusion
Idle In Kangaroo Court

Questions:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
Correct. Teddy B did confirm as much in this thread earlier.

I didn't realize how much of a nod to Rat Patrol the end of the Sound System extras disc 2 is:
Beautiful People
Idle
Ghetto Defendant
Cool Confusion
Sean Flynn
Straight to Hell

All the Rat Patrol versions.
Wish they put the rock version of CC on and not the B-side pisstake... :meh:

Heston

Post by Heston »

YoungParisians wrote:

Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn
Cool Confusion
Idle In Kangaroo Court

Questions:
Yes to all. I've made myself a YouTube playlist with the six RP tracks from Sound System then filled in the gaps from the acetate. It sounds bloody great.