Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 May 2021, 7:27pm
Heston wrote:
19 May 2021, 7:19pm
Silent Majority wrote:
19 May 2021, 7:15pm
Kory wrote:
19 May 2021, 6:28pm
Silent Majority wrote:
19 May 2021, 6:06pm

Walk Evil Talk has finally, Moses on the mountain style, revealed itself to me as genius.
What finally did it for you?
Right place, right time, becoming a stoner?
I suspected as much. This music is quite suited to narcotics.
Personally, I had no sense of rhythm til edibles came into my life. Which sounds like a small thing, but imagine having literally no sense of it and then, after 29 years, finally understanding what people who dance were actually up to. Wonder drug, man.
When I'm under the influence I think I'm the greatest dancer in the world. Then I see the video evidence next day.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
19 May 2021, 6:06pm

Walk Evil Talk has finally, Moses on the mountain style, revealed itself to me as genius.
Personally, I had no sense of rhythm til edibles came into my life. Which sounds like a small thing, but imagine having literally no sense of it and then, after 29 years, finally understanding what people who dance were actually up to. Wonder drug, man.
Wish you'd been born in those punk years. I used to carry enough Wiz for both of us to speed through the weekend. All niters dancing like lunatics.

The downside the come down could be a bastard.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
19 May 2021, 7:34pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:

When I'm under the influence I think I'm the greatest dancer in the world. Then I see the video evidence next day.
Go Hes go!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marzapano
Corner Soul

Post by Marzapano »

Hi, thanks to all the work you guys have done in providing this great find, sorry can't remember names, but very much appreciated. When you were discussing the Cool Confusion track, it occurred to me I had a disk of mp3 rips, one being the version backed on the US SISOSIG 7" single from 1982. Listening to it again, it was as I thought the guitar and drums version which fades out at the end (2.49). I had followed the advice of one of the members here and dropped the Sound System tracks in with the acetate ones, so I dropped this vinyl version in too. To my surprise it's looser, rhythmic feel fits in so much better than the SS version. The fade out works with "Idle" next. I checked the compilation albums, Clash on Broadway, Super Black Market Clash, The Singles box set (which incidentally has the wrong version) and Sound System and none of them have it. I cannot find it on any CD's in The Clash's discography, it seems to just be on this 7". Has anyone else tried doing the same? I saw Marky Dread said it starts with Joe saying "Cool" maybe I'm missing something, but I don't here that, sounds almost like the CD version at the start. It is a different mix altogether. It says on the 7" rear sleeve, mixed by Mick Jones. As this was released in 1982 and the next time any version came out was on Clash on Broadway, some 8/9 years later, could this have been Mick Jones' Rat Patrol mix? Anyone any thoughts?

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marzapano wrote:
19 May 2021, 8:57pm
Hi, thanks to all the work you guys have done in providing this great find, sorry can't remember names, but very much appreciated. When you were discussing the Cool Confusion track, it occurred to me I had a disk of mp3 rips, one being the version backed on the US SISOSIG 7" single from 1982. Listening to it again, it was as I thought the guitar and drums version which fades out at the end (2.49). I had followed the advice of one of the members here and dropped the Sound System tracks in with the acetate ones, so I dropped this vinyl version in too. To my surprise it's looser, rhythmic feel fits in so much better than the SS version. The fade out works with "Idle" next. I checked the compilation albums, Clash on Broadway, Super Black Market Clash, The Singles box set (which incidentally has the wrong version) and Sound System and none of them have it. I cannot find it on any CD's in The Clash's discography, it seems to just be on this 7". Has anyone else tried doing the same? I saw Marky Dread said it starts with Joe saying "Cool" maybe I'm missing something, but I don't here that, sounds almost like the CD version at the start. It is a different mix altogether. It says on the 7" rear sleeve, mixed by Mick Jones. As this was released in 1982 and the next time any version came out was on Clash on Broadway, some 8/9 years later, could this have been Mick Jones' Rat Patrol mix? Anyone any thoughts?
There's definitely two mixes of Cool Confusion (and, aptly enough, I'm confused about where they were released)
The easiest to find one is on compilations like 'Clash on Broadway' and has no drums; the rarer one, with drums, seems to only show up on bootleg compilations like 'D.O.A' and 'Street Rats' - starts at 18'31" here:

Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marzapano
Corner Soul

Post by Marzapano »

Thanks JohnS, that's the one! As far As I know, it's only been released on this 7" single, listening to your video sounds like it was ripped from vinyl. I'm trying to attach pic sleeves. Hope this works!
Should I Stay Or Should I Go (7'' US) back.jpg
Attachments
Should I Stay Or Should I Go (7'' US) front.jpg

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

I like the end of Car Jamming better on Combat Rock. That little breakdown after "positively absolutely" is my favorite part of the song and I miss it on Rat Patrol.

I find myself preferring the few re-recorded vocals on Combat Rock as well as Glyn Johns' shorter edits of most of the songs -- I'd say only Inoculated City, Sean Flynn and Atom Tan are better longer. But in every single case I am preferring Mick's mixing -- Death Is A Star benefitting the most from it.

Thanks to everyone involved in getting this out there.

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Only two questions: according to the latest posts Mick Jones did two different mixes of "Cool Confusion", were they designed immediately one for RP and another for the b-side? Why was "Once You Know" never taken into consideration neither for RP, nor for CR nor for any b-sides?
Music is the only thing that matters

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Thank you to everyone involved in sharing this. The extended outro to I.C. has been stuck in my head for days now.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
20 May 2021, 4:15am
Only two questions: according to the latest posts Mick Jones did two different mixes of "Cool Confusion", were they designed immediately one for RP and another for the b-side? Why was "Once You Know" never taken into consideration neither for RP, nor for CR nor for any b-sides?
Yes to your first question.

I think "Once You Know" may have been a proposed single for Tymon that didn't happen. I think it's a really cool track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:

I will also admit that the sudden availability of legal edibles has given me both an appreciation of good, spacey production AND a desire to dance in my kitchen a lot.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
20 May 2021, 8:57am
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I will also admit that the sudden availability of legal edibles has given me both an appreciation of good, spacey production AND a desire to dance in my kitchen a lot.
Hey man it's your kitchen and you'll dance if you want to. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
20 May 2021, 2:01am
I like the end of Car Jamming better on Combat Rock. That little breakdown after "positively absolutely" is my favorite part of the song and I miss it on Rat Patrol.

I find myself preferring the few re-recorded vocals on Combat Rock as well as Glyn Johns' shorter edits of most of the songs -- I'd say only Inoculated City, Sean Flynn and Atom Tan are better longer. But in every single case I am preferring Mick's mixing -- Death Is A Star benefitting the most from it.

Thanks to everyone involved in getting this out there.
Jizzle or whatever our portmanteau is. Though there is a lot about Rat Patrol Car Jamming I prefer, specifically the rhythm guitars coming and going adds a lot more spice to the song. The languid guitar/synth on Combat Rock makes the rhythm drag more and it's mixed a lot lower on Rat Patrol to its improvement.

Also I noticed a little rockabilly guitar part on the SISOSIG chorus that I had never noticed before. Very cool.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2021, 5:32am
Red Angel wrote:

I think "Once You Know" may have been a proposed single for Tymon that didn't happen. I think it's a really cool track.
Thanks for the reply. Considering that Combat Rock is readily available on the market, I would like to see the release of a double CD with: CD1 - Rat Patrol ... CD2 - all other tracks recorded in the period including alternate mixes, edits, etc. I also think that Once You Know was a fantastic song.

Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
20 May 2021, 10:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2021, 5:32am
Red Angel wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Considering that Combat Rock is readily available on the market, I would like to see the release of a double CD with: CD1 - Rat Patrol ... CD2 - all other tracks recorded in the period including alternate mixes, edits, etc. I also think that Once You Know was a fantastic song.

Would be very cool.👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia