Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
InthePouringRain
Corner Soul

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by InthePouringRain »

The way I currently have it, I just throw "Overpowered by Funk" and "Long Time Jerk" in as bonus tracks on disc two so that both records are roughly the same length (37 and 38 minutes respectively), but I'd really like to sequence them into the tracklist somehow.

Speaking of which, was "Midnight to Stevens" considered for inclusion on the album at any point? I know very little about the song, but it's a great one and would surely make a great addition to the record.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

InthePouringRain wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 2:14pm
Thanks to all of you, I've put together my own version of the original mix of Rat Patrol from Fort Brag. What a great record! The extended "Inoculated City" is probably the highlight of the record for me. But I'd like to point out something that no one seems to have noticed so far in the thread: some of the sides of the album are criminally short.

Side one: 20:55
Side two: 16:44
Side three: 13:17 (!!)
Side four: 15:55

Side one is the normal length of an album side in 1981/82, side two and four are pretty short but acceptable nonetheless, but side three is way too short at only thirteen minutes. That way, disc two clocks in at 29 minutes, which would be acceptable for an album in 1962 but probably not 1982 :mrgreen: especially considering they were earmarking "Overpowered by Funk" and "Long Time Jerk" for a bonus "12 single and a B-side.

Wasn't "Train in Vain" also meant for a bonus single before being added to London Calling at the eleventh hour? I'd hope they did the same thing and just thrown "Overpowered by Funk" into the end of side three in order for it to have a more respectable length. I mean, why bother with a bonus disc when there's plenty of space for the song in the record as it is?
Train in Vain was originally intended for a Flexi disc giveaway in the NME. But it didn't happen due to financial restraints so ended up on the album.

There's a different version of "Overpowered By Funk" that has never seen the light of day.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

InthePouringRain wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 2:20pm
The way I currently have it, I just throw "Overpowered by Funk" and "Long Time Jerk" in as bonus tracks on disc two so that both records are roughly the same length (37 and 38 minutes respectively), but I'd really like to sequence them into the tracklist somehow.

Speaking of which, was "Midnight to Stevens" considered for inclusion on the album at any point? I know very little about the song, but it's a great one and would surely make a great addition to the record.
Midnight to Stevens is an excellent outtake so must've been considered somewhere along the line. Oddly enough it would've fitted on Sandinista! better in my opinion. Doesn't really fit with RP or CR.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

InthePouringRain
Corner Soul

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 2:56pm
InthePouringRain wrote:

Midnight to Stevens is an excellent outtake so must've been considered somewhere along the line. Oddly enough it would've fitted on Sandinista! better in my opinion. Doesn't really fit with RP or CR.
So why not an extended Rat Patrol as follows:

Straight to Hell - 6:53
Know Your Rights - 5:03
Rock the Casbah - 3:49
Red Angel Dragnet - 5:08

Should I Stay or Should I Go? - 3:08
Midnight to Stevens - 4:41
Ghetto Defendant - 6:14
Sean Flynn - 7:22

Car Jamming - 3:52
The Fulham Connection II - 3:47
Atom Tan - 2:47
First Night Back in London - 2:58
Long Time Jerk - 5:04

Overpowered by Funk - 4:53
Inoculated City - 4:28
Death is a Star - 3:11
Cool Confusion - 3:12
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1 - 5:14

All sides are around 20 minutes in length and all is well :mrgreen:

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 2:56pm
InthePouringRain wrote:

As you did for Sandinista!, i hope in a new celebration box for Combat Rock… ;)

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 6:41pm
Fuck it. I'm not gonna be cautious. I'm placing all my chips on a deluxe rat patrol coming out in the next year or so. We're gonna party like it's 1982 in the parallel rat patrol dimension.
Poor Flex is now a hobo hanging out with his buddy Medulla. Damn The Clash. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 10:17pm
Yeah, the Steely Dan dimension I seem to be in really sucks :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 10:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 10:17pm
Yeah, the Steely Dan dimension I seem to be in really sucks :shifty:
Rail against your life!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

As in fairy tales with a happy ending, the right conclusion of this very long thread would be the inclusion of the definitive and original Rat Patrol in the Combat Rock Deluxe Box set (if Marky wants of course).
Music is the only thing that matters

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 May 2021, 8:40pm
I don't have Marky's audio skills, but I took the files originally ripped by Doc M and then cleaned up by Bazarboy and then did a little more work on them. I split them into individual tracks and got rid of the compression/brickwalling. I then tried to match levels with Marky's "Rat Patrol From Hell W10" tracks. So, take these tracks, drop in Ghetto Defendent, Sean Flynn, Cool Confusion, and Idle from Marky's collection and give it a listen. I'm hoping someone with better audio skills will have a go, but in the meantime I think they sound okay.

https://mega.nz/file/LP5nHQKY#dfPEo_Uhn ... Q_y86PoE9U
Do you still have this to upload mate? My laptop died and would love it again.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 10:06am
WestwayKid wrote:
I don't have Marky's audio skills, but I took the files originally ripped by Doc M and then cleaned up by Bazarboy and then did a little more work on them. I split them into individual tracks and got rid of the compression/brickwalling. I then tried to match levels with Marky's "Rat Patrol From Hell W10" tracks. So, take these tracks, drop in Ghetto Defendent, Sean Flynn, Cool Confusion, and Idle from Marky's collection and give it a listen. I'm hoping someone with better audio skills will have a go, but in the meantime I think they sound okay.

I do. Stay tuned and I will find a way to get it to you.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 10:33am
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I do. Stay tuned and I will find a way to get it to you.
Many thanks mate
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I'd love to hear what you've done too. If you could upload it here that would be fantastic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

InthePouringRain
Corner Soul

I've recently put together a slightly different take on RPFFB by taking this acetate, the Sound System tracks and some other things. I decided to include the "Overpowered by Funk" b/w "Long Time Jerk" bonus 7" into the album's tracklist itself, as disc 2 was way too short and the band did the exact same thing with "Train in Vain" three years previously. And I have to say, I was quite pleased with the results. Here's what it looks like, as I posted on my blog The Reconstructor:

THE CLASH - RAT PATROL FROM FORT BRAGG (1981)

Straight to Hell (Sound System)
Know Your Rights (Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg)
Rock the Casbah (Sound System)
Red Angel Dragnet (Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg)
-
Should I Stay or Should I Go? (Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg)
Ghetto Defendant (Sound System)
Sean Flynn (Sound System)
-
Car Jamming (Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg)
The Fulham Connection II (Sound System)
Atom Tan (Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg)
First Night Back in London (Sound System)
Long Time Jerk (Sound System)
-
Overpowered by Funk (Combat Rock)
Inoculated City (Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg)
Death is a Star (Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg)
Cool Confusion (Sound System)
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1 (Sound System)

https://the-reconstructor.blogspot.com/ ... bragg.html