Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by Heston »

oliver wrote:
21 May 2021, 3:08pm
"You have the right to fish money"

It's such an odd phrase especially since Joe was vegetarian. Am I missing something with the meaning?
He wasn't a vegetarian, as he ate fish. I think that makes him a pesticarian or something.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Heston wrote:
21 May 2021, 3:20pm
oliver wrote:

It's such an odd phrase especially since Joe was vegetarian. Am I missing something with the meaning?
He wasn't a vegetarian, as he ate fish. I think that makes him a pesticarian or something.
OK - I don't remember reading he ate fish but it still seems like an odd phrase when so many other words could fit there.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

oliver wrote:
21 May 2021, 3:37pm
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:

OK - I don't remember reading he ate fish but it still seems like an odd phrase when so many other words could fit there.
Yeah, I mentioned that line earlier in the thread. Really weird.

I know Joe ate fish as I can remember him in the free Metro newspaper extolling the virtues of sardines.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
21 May 2021, 3:41pm
oliver wrote:
21 May 2021, 3:37pm
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:

Yeah, I mentioned that line earlier in the thread. Really weird.

I know Joe ate fish as I can remember him in the free Metro newspaper extolling the virtues of sardines.
Don't ask me how I know this, but I believe "fish" is slang for a US Dollar. Don't know if that is what Joe meant, just thinking of a connection between the 2 words.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I'm pretty sure it's an old biblical reference.

In the Gospel account, in Capernaum the collectors of the two-drachma temple tax ask Peter whether Jesus pays the tax, and he replies "Yes". When Peter returns to where they are staying, Jesus speaks of the matter, asking his opinion: "From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes—from their own children or from others?" Peter answers, "from others," and Jesus replies: "Then the children are exempt. But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake (the Sea of Galilee) and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours."

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Could it mean you have the right to 'fish FOR' money, ie fish being a verb - you have a right to acquire money from whatever resources are available.
I doubt it very much, it sounds too clumsy a phrase to pass the band's Quality Control. But it's a thought. More likely it is some sort of obscure slang, or band in-joke. Quite wisely rejected.
And talking of rejections, I must say one of Glyn Johns' calls I DO agree with was in Know Your Rights- dropping the looped/repeated bit of Joe chanting the title during the intro. Nifty tape editing (and a trick that later, every 12" megamix in the 1980s used to death), but it always bugged me compared to the official version where the song just plays straight.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 May 2021, 4:03pm

In the Gospel account, in Capernaum the collectors of the two-drachma temple tax ask Peter whether Jesus pays the tax, and he replies "Yes". When Peter returns to where they are staying, Jesus speaks of the matter, asking his opinion: "From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes—from their own children or from others?" Peter answers, "from others," and Jesus replies: "Then the children are exempt. But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake (the Sea of Galilee) and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours."
This makes sense to me.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
21 May 2021, 4:21pm
Could it mean you have the right to 'fish FOR' money, ie fish being a verb - you have a right to acquire money from whatever resources are available.
I doubt it very much, it sounds too clumsy a phrase to pass the band's Quality Control. But it's a thought. More likely it is some sort of obscure slang, or band in-joke. Quite wisely rejected.
And talking of rejections, I must say one of Glyn Johns' calls I DO agree with was in Know Your Rights- dropping the looped/repeated bit of Joe chanting the title during the intro. Nifty tape editing (and a trick that later, every 12" megamix in the 1980s used to death), but it always bugged me compared to the official version where the song just plays straight.
Rat Patrol version for the backing track. Vocal from Combat Rock would be my perfect take. Still we got two different versions so win/win.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I always read it simply as joe using it in place of food money which would just mean benefits to buy food. And then reverts to food money for the later take. Joe definitely did have a thing for fish as one bit of trivia i recall was joe being an avid collector of fish recipes, among other bric a brac.
Very intrigued by the biblical suggestion though, definitely could be something in that.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 May 2021, 4:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:

This makes sense to me.
So it's not a response to Kid Creole?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 May 2021, 4:49pm
Joe definitely did have a thing for fish as one bit of trivia i recall was joe being an avid collector of fish recipes, among other bric a brac.
That is the SNEWSiest bit of info I've heard here in years!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2021, 4:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Joe definitely did have a thing for fish as one bit of trivia i recall was joe being an avid collector of fish recipes, among other bric a brac.
Well, i do try to keep a lid on my distant snews past but inevitably the mask slips every now and then.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
21 May 2021, 4:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
21 May 2021, 4:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:

This makes sense to me.
So it's not a response to Kid Creole?

Sounds a little fishy to me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

JohnS wrote:
21 May 2021, 4:21pm
TBF, that makes a lot of sense if 'whatever resources are available' is a euphemism for 'not legal'.. especially considering the next three lines about investigation, humiliation and rehabilitation.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 May 2021, 5:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2021, 4:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Well, i do try to keep a lid on my distant snews past but inevitably the mask slips every now and then.
:lol: Were you a SNEWSer who somehow snuck by the sleeping night watchman here?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft