Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
13 May 2021, 4:56pm
Holy shit, the end of Inoculated City.

"Yeah, there is a barber with a tommy gun?"
No it's a Beatles "Penny Lane" reference.

Joe...
"Yeah, there is a barber with a photograph"

The Beatles...
"In Penny Lane, there is a barber showing photographs"

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 May 2021, 6:56am
Heston wrote:
13 May 2021, 4:56pm
Holy shit, the end of Inoculated City.

"Yeah, there is a barber with a tommy gun?"
No it's a Beatles "Penny Lane" reference.

Joe...
"Yeah, there is a barber with a photograph"

The Beatles...
"In Penny Lane, there is a barber showing photographs"
Cheers!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

KCportland wrote:
14 May 2021, 1:10am
I was listening to my Rat Patrol mix in the car on Tuesday, opining that I'd probably never get to hear these mixes in better quality. Two days later, well, I've about died and gone to heaven. Inoculated City in all it's glory, the holy grail. So nice hearing all the samples clearly, and the space-echo'd guitars finally have some definition!!

But Car Jamming??? This is unbelievable. What an incredible version! The sliced and diced guitar cutting across the mix, criss-crossing drones and samples. This is just eons ahead of it's time. Mick, you genius.

If this makes the rounds among fans, maybe it puts a little pressure on The Clash camp to get an official version out there. If not, I'm okay with that. This is fantastic.
I second all of this.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

OMG. So many great things about these recordings.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wow. I caught this thread on my way out of work yesterday, but did not look or listen until today. This is quite the find. Rat Patrol has long been my Holy Grail of lost recordings.

There is something amazing about Rat Patrol. It has this hazy, druggy, heat shimmering vibe to it. The music is hip. They were light years already from Janie Jones. Totally fearless and unhinged (in a good way). Combat Rock was like the Beach Boys' Smiley Smile. It retained some of the feel of the lost Smile LP, but it was an incomplete picture. It was playing it safe instead of taking the big risk.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 May 2021, 11:14am
Wow. I caught this thread on my way out of work yesterday, but did not look or listen until today. This is quite the find. Rat Patrol has long been my Holy Grail of lost recordings.

There is something amazing about Rat Patrol. It has this hazy, druggy, heat shimmering vibe to it. The music is hip. They were light years already from Janie Jones. Totally fearless and unhinged (in a good way). Combat Rock was like the Beach Boys' Smiley Smile. It retained some of the feel of the lost Smile LP, but it was an incomplete picture. It was playing it safe instead of taking the big risk.
"Sean Flynn" which isn't on the acetate is the track that really captures a feel for me. You can literally feel the heat dripping from the trees in that track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

stuartreed
Corner Soul

Post by stuartreed »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2021, 4:29pm
Here ya go, boogers: https://mega.nz/folder/kAsWlBjQ#Mg3W0MLwOOoQzIlOYQxy4Q
Damn that sounds good
Cheers :)

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I am really digging this!

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 May 2021, 12:15pm
WestwayKid wrote:

"Sean Flynn" which isn't on the acetate is the track that really captures a feel for me. You can literally feel the heat dripping from the trees in that track.
I’ve never heard a song that puts me into the Vietnam War more than that one. I feel like I can see the jungle when I close my eyes listening to it. And on Straight to Hell, I can visualize Joe recording that right before New Years. His story about recording that makes the song even better to me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

River wrote:
14 May 2021, 12:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I’ve never heard a song that puts me into the Vietnam War more than that one. I feel like I can see the jungle when I close my eyes listening to it. And on Straight to Hell, I can visualize Joe recording that right before New Years. His story about recording that makes the song even better to me.
Brilliant tracks both. Nothing on Cut the Crap comes close.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Wow these sound amazing!

Rat Patrol 2022 please.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Same here. The one-two of it and STH being on the same LP make me want to eat a bunch of quaaludes and sit back for the ride.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

KCportland wrote:
14 May 2021, 1:10am
I was listening to my Rat Patrol mix in the car on Tuesday, opining that I'd probably never get to hear these mixes in better quality. Two days later, well, I've about died and gone to heaven. Inoculated City in all it's glory, the holy grail. So nice hearing all the samples clearly, and the space-echo'd guitars finally have some definition!!

But Car Jamming??? This is unbelievable. What an incredible version! The sliced and diced guitar cutting across the mix, criss-crossing drones and samples. This is just eons ahead of it's time. Mick, you genius.

If this makes the rounds among fans, maybe it puts a little pressure on The Clash camp to get an official version out there. If not, I'm okay with that. This is fantastic.
I was going to mention Car Jamming earlier too. It's not crazy different, but the lower guitar boosts the moodiness and all the dropouts point back to reggae without being a reggae song. True fusion achieved here.

Edit: funnily enough, today is the 39th anniversary of Combat Rock.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

I think Sean Flynn extended is one of the hottest things they ever did. They should put that on a meditation app, take you to that place

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by yetaca »

FYI Combat Rock was released today in 1982