Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Just another appreciation post for what we do have with Rat Patrol, thank fuck for that. Thanks Marky.

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

YoungParisians wrote:
25 May 2022, 11:01am
Equaliser wrote:
24 May 2022, 12:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 7:21am
Red Angel wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 7:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 4:17am

The two Ranking Roger tracks perhaps?
What if it was the full version of "Once You Know"? According to Tymon Dogg it lasted 8 minutes.
Only considered for a Tymon release I think. Hence it was an outtake. Could've been included on this new release.
I can't find it right now but isn't there a preliminary track listing for Combat Rock from a Strummer notebook that lists a Tymon track?
There's this screen cap for a BBC doc.
combatrock.jpg

Then this from a draft of early artwork
11232121_10153412233424761_382251121101306186_n.jpg
yes! Those are the pics. In the first one Timon is listed with Ginsburg and Futura and those tracks made the album. What does Burrows refer to?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Equaliser wrote:
27 May 2022, 10:32am
YoungParisians wrote:
25 May 2022, 11:01am
Equaliser wrote:
24 May 2022, 12:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 7:21am
Red Angel wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 7:02am

What if it was the full version of "Once You Know"? According to Tymon Dogg it lasted 8 minutes.
Only considered for a Tymon release I think. Hence it was an outtake. Could've been included on this new release.
I can't find it right now but isn't there a preliminary track listing for Combat Rock from a Strummer notebook that lists a Tymon track?
There's this screen cap for a BBC doc.
combatrock.jpg

Then this from a draft of early artwork
11232121_10153412233424761_382251121101306186_n.jpg
yes! Those are the pics. In the first one Timon is listed with Ginsburg and Futura and those tracks made the album. What does Burrows refer to?
Maybe it should say Burroughs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

That pic is in a couple other threads that mention song titles not pictured like Wild Seed and Man In A Box.

Some speculation from the other threads:
DMZ Dancing = Mustapha Dance?
Burning Bush = Sean Flynn?
Soul Mercenary = Red Angel Dragnet?
Guitars & Men = ?

Wonder if one of these was a working title for He Who Dares or Is Tired since this People's Hall release is the first time this song title appears.

In any case, the photo is from BBC4's "The People's History of Pop" from 2016. It's episode 3, "1976-1985 Tribal Gatherings", hosted by Pauline Black of The Selecter. It's not avail online as of the time of this post but you can read a transcript. The Clash bit appears at the 50 minute mark:
https://subsaga.com/bbc/documentaries/m ... rings.html

If anyone has a copy they can upload somewhere, I'd love to check out the clip.
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

YoungParisians wrote:
27 May 2022, 12:35pm
That pic is in a couple other threads that mention song titles not pictured like Wild Seed and Man In A Box.

Guitars & Men = ?

Wonder if one of these was a working title for He Who Dares or Is Tired since this People's Hall release is the first time this song title appears.

In any case, the photo is from BBC4's "The People's History of Pop" from 2016. It's episode 3, "1976-1985 Tribal Gatherings", hosted by Pauline Black of The Selecter. It's not avail online as of the time of this post but you can read a transcript. The Clash bit appears at the 50 minute mark:

Man in a Box = Another working title for Fulham Connection II.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 May 2022, 12:49pm
YoungParisians wrote:

Guitars & Men = ?

Is that 100% mate? I always thought it could be an alternate title for Inoculated City.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
27 May 2022, 1:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 May 2022, 12:49pm
YoungParisians wrote:

Guitars & Men = ?

Is that 100% mate? I always thought it could be an alternate title for Inoculated City.
Is anything 100%. Until Mick confirms of course.
But it's listed as such from the Rat Patrol CD bootleg.
Attachments
RPFFB.jpg
RPFFB.jpg (279.31 KiB) Viewed 2028 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Cool confusion being subbed out last minute is interesting

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Yes, Mark, it is interesting. Overpowered by Funk wasn’t on the proposed track list for Rat Patrol. It was meant for that bonus 12”. It’s placed at the very end of the Rat Patrol master tape after the final song.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
27 May 2022, 9:18pm
Yes, Mark, it is interesting. Overpowered by Funk wasn’t on the proposed track list for Rat Patrol. It was meant for that bonus 12”. It’s placed at the very end of the Rat Patrol master tape after the final song.

It should be noted that the version on the master tape is neither the Ext. New York mix or the CR album version.

RP master tape 6 mins 5 secs
Ext. NY mix 6 mins 59 secs
CR album 4 mind 52 secs

Not just edits either. All are different versions/mixes.

So maybe the version on the RP master was to be on the extra 12" initially then Mick did the other Ext. NY mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

YoungParisians wrote:

Guitars & Men = ?

I've been looking for a copy online too, but came up with nothing. I saw the program when first transmitted, it was brilliant and in fact I took that screen shot and posted it here years ago for its obvious interest to IMCT. Robert Gordon McHarg was currator of Joe's archive when this program aired and for the recent Joe Strummer box sets, he must have seen some fascinating stuff.

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2022, 5:00am

It should be noted that the version on the master tape is neither the Ext. New York mix or the CR album version.

CR album 4 mind 52 secs

So maybe the version on the RP master was to be on the extra 12" initially then Mick did the other Ext. NY mix.
Has that RP version ever been released?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
28 May 2022, 8:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2022, 5:00am

CR album 4 mind 52 secs

Has that RP version ever been released?
No.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BadReplicant
Corner Soul

Post by BadReplicant »

I know I'm the absolute last person to the party... but would anybody be kind enough to provide a link to the versions of the tracks Heston put on youtube? So happy all of this is available in this kind of quality now.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

YoungParisians wrote:

Guitars & Men = ?

Just catching up on this, thanks for the link - amazing that people create such detailed transcripts of entire hour-long documentaries like that! I see subsaga.com has hundreds of shows done.
I think I watched some of that series (People's History of Pop) - the first one hosted by Twiggy rings a bell, she sits in on a playback of a rare tape of John Lennon playing with his pre-Beatles group The Quarrymen - and I'm sure I saw the Pauline Black episode in question, but can't recall the Clash / Combat Rock notebooks bit at all. Hopefully it'll resurface online, or gets rebroadcast - BBC4 often screens old music docs from a few years ago
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres