Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by Kory »

white man wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 7:19am
weller259 wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 3:30am

I really have to say that this version of Inoculated City is so great, its always been one of my favorite songs anyway but this version totally kicks ass. I
I always thought the outro was the best part of the song and wished it could go on longer. Imagine my surprise :mrgreen:
I've now become so used to Joe saying "a-ten-HUT" at the beginning, I'll never hear it another way now.

A couple other observations after some time:

—This album is transcendantly suited for this heat wave, especially played at night.
—Kangaroo Court feels really good as a closer for some reason. After DIAS and CC, it kind of picks my spirits up a bit (not that I don't like either of those two songs in the slightest, DIAS especially benefiting from the Mick Mix).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Kory wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 2:29pm
white man wrote:
weller259 wrote:

I really have to say that this version of Inoculated City is so great, its always been one of my favorite songs anyway but this version totally kicks ass. I
I always thought the outro was the best part of the song and wished it could go on longer. Imagine my surprise :mrgreen:
I've now become so used to Joe saying "a-ten-HUT" at the beginning, I'll never hear it another way now.

This album is transcendantly suited for this heat wave, especially played at night.
—Kangaroo Court feels really good as a closer for some reason. After DIAS and CC, it kind of picks my spirits up a bit (not that I don't like either of those two songs in the slightest, DIAS especially benefiting from the Mick Mix).
I agree. I’ve always felt that way about Sean Flynn in particular. It just feels like a jungle-heat-induced hallucination. It's at times like this that Combat Rock has occasionally briefly become my favorite (or at least most-played) Clash album.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kimmelweck wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 4:47pm
Kory wrote:
white man wrote:
weller259 wrote:

This album is transcendantly suited for this heat wave, especially played at night.
I agree. I’ve always felt that way about Sean Flynn in particular. It just feels like a jungle-heat-induced hallucination. It's at times like this that Combat Rock has occasionally briefly become my favorite (or at least most-played) Clash album.
I'm trying to remember who recently had the idea of sequencing the album so that it starts with all the uptempo/pop songs, and slowly descends into madness, ending with Sean Flynn. It would be fun to start the album so that the first half plays with the sun out and then goes into the sweatier songs as the sun goes down. Here's an attempt at sequencing as a starting point. I think we can come to a group consensus on the most fluid order:

1. Know Your Rights
2. Should I Stay
3. Rock the Casbah
4. Fulham Connection
5. Kangaroo Court
6. Atom Tan
7. Car Jamming
8. Inoculated City
9. Red Angel Dragnet
10. Ghetto Defendent
11. First Night Back in London
12. Cool Confusion
13. Death is a Star
14. Straight to Hell
15. Sean Flynn

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 5:39pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Kory wrote:
white man wrote:
weller259 wrote:

I'm trying to remember who recently had the idea of sequencing the album so that it starts with all the uptempo/pop songs, and slowly descends into madness, ending with Sean Flynn. It would be fun to start the album so that the first half plays with the sun out and then goes into the sweatier songs as the sun goes down. Here's an attempt at sequencing as a starting point. I think we can come to a group consensus on the most fluid order:

1. Know Your Rights
2. Should I Stay
3. Rock the Casbah
4. Fulham Connection
5. Kangaroo Court
6. Atom Tan
7. Car Jamming
8. Inoculated City
9. Red Angel Dragnet
10. Ghetto Defendent
12. Cool Confusion
13. Death is a Star
14. Straight to Hell
15. Sean Flynn
The only real weak link is Cool Confusion, if only they'd recorded vocals for the far superior uptempo version.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Kory wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Kory wrote:
white man wrote:
weller259 wrote:

1. Know Your Rights
2. Should I Stay
3. Rock the Casbah
4. Fulham Connection
5. Kangaroo Court
6. Atom Tan
7. Car Jamming
8. Inoculated City
9. Red Angel Dragnet
10. Ghetto Defendent
12. Cool Confusion
13. Death is a Star
14. Straight to Hell
15. Sean Flynn
Great concept. And “sweaty” is the perfect adjective. Death is a Star is another one that feels pretty drenched.

From upbeat-boombox-on-hot-pavement descending into sweaty-poet-warlord-jungle-madness, I’m seeing something like this on a first run-through, with maybe a few songs moved up or down a spot:

1. Fulham Connection
2. Kangaroo Court
3. Rock the Casbah
4. Should I Stay
5. Know Your Rights
6. Car Jamming
7. Red Angel Dragnet
8. Atom Tan
9. Cool Confusion
10. Inoculated City
12. Ghetto Defendant
13. Straight to Hell
14. Sean Flynn
15. Death is a Star

I think that's close to yours, with mostly the same songs for 1-5, 6-10, and 11-15, but with a few changes within each group of 5. Actually I guess I've moved Cool Confusion up to 6-10, and bumped Ghetto Defendant to the 11-15 group. I could be persuaded on a few songs, but I think we mostly agree on the basic grouping into thirds.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Man, where was Overpowered by Funk? So much better than Cool Confusion and First Night Back In London. And I wouldn't have been adverse to Long Time Jerk making the cut. I think I'll just have to make my own vision of it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 6:53pm
Man, where was Overpowered by Funk? So much better than Cool Confusion and First Night Back In London. And I wouldn't have been adverse to Long Time Jerk making the cut. I think I'll just have to make my own vision of it.
If it wasn't for Fulham Connection, I'd have said the OBF didn't fit the rest of the album. I disagree on First Night though. That song rules.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kimmelweck wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 6:47pm
Kory wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Kory wrote:
white man wrote:

1. Know Your Rights
2. Should I Stay
3. Rock the Casbah
4. Fulham Connection
5. Kangaroo Court
6. Atom Tan
7. Car Jamming
8. Inoculated City
9. Red Angel Dragnet
10. Ghetto Defendent
12. Cool Confusion
13. Death is a Star
14. Straight to Hell
15. Sean Flynn
Great concept. And “sweaty” is the perfect adjective. Death is a Star is another one that feels pretty drenched.

From upbeat-boombox-on-hot-pavement descending into sweaty-poet-warlord-jungle-madness, I’m seeing something like this on a first run-through, with maybe a few songs moved up or down a spot:

1. Fulham Connection
2. Kangaroo Court
3. Rock the Casbah
4. Should I Stay
5. Know Your Rights
6. Car Jamming
7. Red Angel Dragnet
8. Atom Tan
9. Cool Confusion
10. Inoculated City
12. Ghetto Defendant
13. Straight to Hell
14. Sean Flynn
15. Death is a Star

I think that's close to yours, with mostly the same songs for 1-5, 6-10, and 11-15, but with a few changes within each group of 5. Actually I guess I've moved Cool Confusion up to 6-10, and bumped Ghetto Defendant to the 11-15 group. I could be persuaded on a few songs, but I think we mostly agree on the basic grouping into thirds.
This definitely works too—I'll have to try both of these out. I had KYR as track one just because nothing else is as aggressive, so I thought it would start hard and then get slowly lazier as it went along.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Kory wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 7:01pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 6:47pm
Kory wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Kory wrote:

1. Know Your Rights
2. Should I Stay
3. Rock the Casbah
4. Fulham Connection
5. Kangaroo Court
6. Atom Tan
7. Car Jamming
8. Inoculated City
9. Red Angel Dragnet
10. Ghetto Defendent
12. Cool Confusion
13. Death is a Star
14. Straight to Hell
15. Sean Flynn

1. Fulham Connection
2. Kangaroo Court
3. Rock the Casbah
4. Should I Stay
5. Know Your Rights
6. Car Jamming
7. Red Angel Dragnet
8. Atom Tan
9. Cool Confusion
10. Inoculated City
12. Ghetto Defendant
13. Straight to Hell
14. Sean Flynn
15. Death is a Star

This definitely works too—I'll have to try both of these out. I had KYR as track one just because nothing else is as aggressive, so I thought it would start hard and then get slowly lazier as it went along.
I can see it that way too. I think I moved KYR back a bit because the instrumentation seems a bit on the spare side compared to some of the others, aggressive but with a bit less overall poppy energy.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

OBF is included at the end of the master tape of Rat Patrol. I expect they/Mick had earmarked it for a twelve inch single.

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 6:19am
I'm still seriously holding out for a deluxe reissue for next years anniversary.
Yeah, same here, and I think the timing is good too. Premium priced Deluxe and even Super Deluxe editions are a thing right now and many fans are now in their 50s and 60s and have money to burn.

CD1 CR
CD2 RP
CD3 Live show/material

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

omfg this is amazing.

I dropped in to comment on Don's new book and here is one of my holy grails after all these years.

Big thanks to Doc M, Bazarboy and Westwaykid and anyone I may have missed for the cleaned up tracks!

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:08pm
Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2021, 8:05pm
Heston wrote:
18 May 2021, 7:55pm

The whole pattern is just damn weird. I've air-drummed along with it a few times trying to catch all the accents and it is mighty tricky.
I'm sure Tops was more than clever enough to play those accentuated hi-hats but it may just be different track. Mick may have got Tops to play them separately.
Quite possible but Topper was very skilled as we know. We need the stems. ;)
I'll upload them in 2082. ;)
Centenary Rock
Cemetery Rock

x3em
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by x3em »

sonnyburnit wrote:
17 May 2021, 10:26pm
matedog wrote:
17 May 2021, 6:51pm
I've been listening to a makeshift Rat Patrol now and it is NOT an easy listen. As a mega fan, it's fascinating for me and I'm very much enjoying it, but I can't imagine what the feedback would have been if released as such. Just look at these track lengths:

Side One:
1. Straight to Hell - 6:52
2. Know Your Rights - 5:00
3. Rock the Casbah - 3:49
4. Red Angel Dragnet - 5:11

Side Two:
1. Should I Stay or Should I Go? - 3:06
2. Ghetto Defendant - 6:13
3. Sean Flynn - 7:22

Side Three:
1. Car Jamming - 3:53
2. The Fulham Connection II - 3:50
3. Atom Tan - 2:43
4. First Night Back in London - 5:11

Side Four:
1. Inoculated City - 4:43
2. Death Is a Star - 3:15
3. Cool Confusion - 3:12
4. Idle in Kangaroo Court W1 - 5:04

It is remarkably non-commercial save for Casbah and Should I Stay. I mean Jesus, who needs a 5 minute Know Your Rights or First Night? Beyond us of course. In the context of the tighter Combat Rock, their alleged sellout album (I guess GEER and LC were also supposed sellout albums depending on who you ask), the two big singles make some sense, but they are definite outliers on Rat Patrol. The other three minute songs are Cool Confusion, Death is a Star, and Atom Tan. Just weird shit. The Rat Patrol mixes are so dense too. Eventhough it's only a double, this one is so much more expansive or bloated (depending on which connotation you want to go with) than Sandinista yet still remarkably different.

Rat Patrol would have completely redone the album narratives. Instead of a tight single album with some experimentation and a couple big singles as a pull back from the over the top Sandinista, you'd have this long, vampy, very experimental album with all sorts of cool percussion/drumming, synthesizer experiments, continued genre experimentation. It makes for a fascinating alternate universe.

For me personally, after immersing myself in so much reggae, dub and, discomixes over the years, I’m totally cool with the longer tracks, I actually prefer it if the song has the right vibe. Why does everything have to be a raga? Because why not, I’m not in any rush.
When I dj or record mixes there isn’t much juggling going on, I like to play out the dubs, versions, and dj cuts to create an experience. I think that’s one of the main reasons why I have such an affinity for RP, I love its sprawling (sometimes messy) ambitiousness and experimentation. I’m not excusing any of Mick’s diva-like tendencies at that time but I would have fought like hell to release my original vision of the record too and would have been none too happy to be expected to show up & help someone else “fix” it with a smile. And although CR turned out to be their biggest commercial success, the shortsightedness looking back is glaring. But listen, record companies aren’t in business to lose money & with the immense pressure to deliver a hit they didn’t have much of a choice but to cave. Joe’s desire to reconnect with their punk roots & bring it all back home/to basics vs. Mick hanging 10 on a new wave with Bernie as special guest referee… a true clash.
Not sure what discussions, if any, there have been had behind the scenes over the years regarding an official band approved release but I know this, bring someone in to do a lush & thoughtful remaster and put that bad boy out on some nice heavyweight double/triple vinyl and I’m all in. In fact, it very well could end up bumping Sandinista as my all time favorite.
100% agree with this, I am generally pro raga! :) 5-7 min is a good track length for a good groovy tune.

In general, long versions of good tracks are heaven I think. For both studio mixes or live recordings. Allowing time for grooves and interesting textures to stretch out. My favorite version of Bob Marley's song Exodus is the 12 minute long live version available on the deluxe version of the album. Or the mind melting 37 minute Sister Ray on Velvet Undergrounds Matrix Room recordings :)

I am all in for a Deluxe or Super Deluxe release too.

Marzapano
Corner Soul

Post by Marzapano »

CD version covers. Inners still to come.
Attachments
The Rat Patrol From Fort Brag CD back.jpg
The Rat Patrol From Fort Brag CD cover.jpg