Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by Inder »

Olaf wrote:
15 May 2021, 11:30am
Mick said "Release Complete Patrol," but...
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

topperville wrote:
15 May 2021, 10:03am
matedog wrote:
15 May 2021, 9:30am
Conrad wrote:
15 May 2021, 9:13am
This is just amazing, thank you so much. I am a little confused as to what these tracks represent in the context of the CR background, though. I assume these tracks are the relevant songs' versions that Mick wanted to release. That said, I always thought that Mick "presented" the band with a double LP with a definite tracking list, and that both the mixes and the proposed album lenght were rejected. What about the songs that are missing here ? Thank you su much again, I am sooo grateful for being able to listen to this music after so many years, and I agree that these versions take RPFFB to another level.
That’s what has been bugging me.

The previously understood Rat Patrol appears to be this version but with added songs like Sean Flynn, Ghetto Defendant, etc.

TeddyB has spoken openly about his copy of the album and I hope he can confirm that. I believe Overpowered and Walk Evil Talk and maybe a few others were NOT on this double album but ended up on the bootlegs that came out later but I’m not sure. Basically, I believe there are four versions:
1. Double album Rat Patrol dated January 82.
2. Single album Rat Patrol dates January 82.
3. Combat Rock from May 82.
4. Bootleg Rat Patrol containing songs from #1 and additional songs and using Combat Rock versions where the Rat Patrol versions had not leaked or been released (Sean Flynn for example until the Sound System version).

I could be way off on a lot of this but it should be pretty easy to confirm based on what’s on the real double album Rat Patrol.
I believe the double album tracklist is as follows:

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan
First Night Back in London

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1

It can't be coincidence that the new acetate follows the same order but misses of the last two tracks of side 2 and the last two tracks of side 4. Are acetates generally one sided and that's all they could fit on one side perhaps?

If so - perhaps the acetate plus the missing four tracks (which are all on Sound Sytem) makes the complete Rat Patrol From Fort Brag...
Think that's identical to what I posted.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

One thing I'm really liking about these mixes is how much space there is on them -- Combat Rock just feels so dry and kind of inert. This sounds like more of a straight line from Sandinista.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Olaf wrote:
15 May 2021, 11:30am
Mick said "Release Complete Patrol," but...
LOL.

That tracklisting looks great. Awesome Side 2.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Do we have a running tally of differences in some thread?

I just noticed that the Combat Rock's Car Jamming changes a single word after "The violence in the..." line, around 45s in. Sounds like they dropped in a different take, which you can ID because Joe's voice goes hoarse/cracks/soulful on "of". Weird.

This is maybe the most consequential thing I will ever observe about The Clash.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Inder wrote:
15 May 2021, 11:50am

I just noticed that the Combat Rock's Car Jamming changes a single word after "The violence in the..." line, around 45s in. Sounds like they dropped in a different take, which you can ID because Joe's voice goes hoarse/cracks/soulful on "of". Weird.

Isn't it great/sad that we care about such things?

The crib sheet with the acetate has the CR version as 5 seconds longer.
7506-5.jpg

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

laxman wrote:
15 May 2021, 11:57am
Inder wrote:

Haha, I think it's because we've all heard the released tracks so many times that the slightest change really sticks out!

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Inder wrote:
15 May 2021, 12:00pm
laxman wrote:
Inder wrote:

Haha, I think it's because we've all heard the released tracks so many times that the slightest change really sticks out!
Agreed. I'm still proud of my daughter hearing the Rat Patrol version of SISOSIG and pointing out it wasn't the normal version. My work there is done!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
15 May 2021, 12:06pm
Inder wrote:
laxman wrote:
Inder wrote:

Agreed. I'm still proud of my daughter hearing the Rat Patrol version of SISOSIG and pointing out it wasn't the normal version. My work there is done!
The risque lyric?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 May 2021, 11:37am
topperville wrote:
matedog wrote:
Conrad wrote:
This is just amazing, thank you so much. I am a little confused as to what these tracks represent in the context of the CR background, though. I assume these tracks are the relevant songs' versions that Mick wanted to release. That said, I always thought that Mick "presented" the band with a double LP with a definite tracking list, and that both the mixes and the proposed album lenght were rejected. What about the songs that are missing here ? Thank you su much again, I am sooo grateful for being able to listen to this music after so many years, and I agree that these versions take RPFFB to another level.

The previously understood Rat Patrol appears to be this version but with added songs like Sean Flynn, Ghetto Defendant, etc.

TeddyB has spoken openly about his copy of the album and I hope he can confirm that. I believe Overpowered and Walk Evil Talk and maybe a few others were NOT on this double album but ended up on the bootlegs that came out later but I’m not sure. Basically, I believe there are four versions:
4. Bootleg Rat Patrol containing songs from #1 and additional songs and using Combat Rock versions where the Rat Patrol versions had not leaked or been released (Sean Flynn for example until the Sound System version).

I could be way off on a lot of this but it should be pretty easy to confirm based on what’s on the real double album Rat Patrol.

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion

It can't be coincidence that the new acetate follows the same order but misses of the last two tracks of side 2 and the last two tracks of side 4. Are acetates generally one sided and that's all they could fit on one side perhaps?

If so - perhaps the acetate plus the missing four tracks (which are all on Sound Sytem) makes the complete Rat Patrol From Fort Brag...
Yep! You must have posted while I was composing…

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

topperville wrote:
15 May 2021, 1:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 May 2021, 11:37am
topperville wrote:
matedog wrote:
Conrad wrote:

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion

Yep! You must have posted while I was composing…
😎👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This track listing would have made an exceptional double LP. A missed opportunity.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 May 2021, 1:48pm
This track listing would have made an exceptional double LP. A missed opportunity.
Agree.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 May 2021, 1:00pm
laxman wrote:
Inder wrote:
laxman wrote:
Inder wrote:

The risque lyric?
No, but that would have been an interesting father/daughter discussion :scared:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
15 May 2021, 3:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 May 2021, 1:00pm
laxman wrote:
Inder wrote:
laxman wrote:

The risque lyric?
No, but that would have been an interesting father/daughter discussion :scared:
;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia