Out of Control 1984 London Tour Poster

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
illold3chordme
Corner Soul

Out of Control 1984 London Tour Poster

Post by illold3chordme »

Hi everyone, I just took a chance and ordered one of these posters from a little store in California. I know it's not the most revered era of the Clash, but I've always liked the art from this period. The store claims that it's an original, which I find hard to believe since they were selling it for so cheap, but I figured I'd give it a shot given the price. Also, it seems like way too niche of an item to try and scam someone on, and they don't even have an online store (I found it via their Instagram account when searching the Clash hashtag).

Anyway, does anyone else have one of these or know any details about them, like how many were made, their dimensions, or where they were originally sold (I assume at the concerts advertised on the poster)? I've tried searching online but I (perhaps unsurprisingly) can't find much info about them.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide! I'll post some pics when it arrives (unless it's clearly a fake). Here's the pic they had on their Instagram:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Out of Control 1984 London Tour Poster

Post by Marky Dread »

The ones I've seen are about 3ft x 2ft and fetch around £400.00 plus.

No idea how many originals there were. There are a ton of repros out there. There are a couple of different designs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, that artwork is cool, good find (even if it's not an original)!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

illold3chordme wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 11:53am
Hi everyone, I just took a chance and ordered one of these posters from a little store in California. I know it's not the most revered era of the Clash, but I've always liked the art from this period. The store claims that it's an original, which I find hard to believe since they were selling it for so cheap, but I figured I'd give it a shot given the price. Also, it seems like way too niche of an item to try and scam someone on, and they don't even have an online store (I found it via their Instagram account when searching the Clash hashtag).

Anyway, does anyone else have one of these or know any details about them, like how many were made, their dimensions, or where they were originally sold (I assume at the concerts advertised on the poster)? I've tried searching online but I (perhaps unsurprisingly) can't find much info about them.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide! I'll post some pics when it arrives (unless it's clearly a fake). Here's the pic they had on their Instagram:
If you’re on Facebook, you could ask in the Clash City Collectors group.

illold3chordme
Corner Soul

Post by illold3chordme »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 12:39am
illold3chordme wrote:

Thanks, good idea! Do you know if that group is still active? I've requested to join before, but my requests have always been ignored. I'm not sure why.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

illold3chordme wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 1:33pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
illold3chordme wrote:

Thanks, good idea! Do you know if that group is still active? I've requested to join before, but my requests have always been ignored. I'm not sure why.
Yes, still active.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

illold3chordme wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 1:33pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
illold3chordme wrote:

Please try again to join. If that fails, I could ask on there about its authenticity for you.

illold3chordme
Corner Soul

Post by illold3chordme »

Thanks for pointing me to the Clash City Collectors group, everyone! Turns out the poster is the real deal. Here's a better pic of it if anyone's interested.

Thanks again!

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Young ladies?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 11:26pm
Young ladies?
Hello,

I noticed this as well. Additionally, is it common practice to include the year?

It's a nice poster.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

gkbill wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 11:29pm
Young ladies?
Hello,

I noticed this as well. Additionally, is it common practice to include the year?

It's a nice poster.
I think there was at least one reason to write 1984 in large print on the poster
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Young ladies?
Yep Kosmo says this on a fair few on those stupid intros.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 4:52am
Young ladies?
I knew he did. I still find it bizarre.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

05 Aug 2021, 1:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 4:52am
Young ladies?
I knew he did. I still find it bizarre.
Well yeah the whole intro is just silly. I mean just how many hip hoppers were there to see The Clash.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Well yeah the whole intro is just silly. I mean just how many hip hoppers were there to see The Clash.
I don't think that intro was ever meant to be taken that literally -- to me, it's one of the rare moments of levity that "Strummer and company" allowed themselves. I suspect that Kosmo dreamed it up, so he could have his day in the sun onstage, if only for that 30-second-ish or so interval!

I personally enjoy hearing it, as OTT as it is -- ended up incorporating it into a spoken piece that I wrote seeing them then, and it always goes down well (or has, it's been awhile since I've actually performed it during the whole lockdown era). So it works for me on that level, too.