From Here to Eternity on vinyl?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

From Here to Eternity on vinyl?

Post by CorwoodRep »

Anybody know if there's a reissue plan there? I'm looking at spending like $170 for it, and I'll do it because I'm a weak man and a completist (I know it's not gonna sound better than my lossless files, it's a ritual thing for me), but I don't wanna do it and feel stupid later.

P.S. Got a mint copy of Sandinista, and I gotta say, having not heard it in a million years: side six is really good in context. Reminds me of a David Lynch score. Mysterious clangs and ethereal whooshing for days. It's real easy to imagine Silicone on Sapphire and Shepards Delight in episode eight of Twin Peaks The Return.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: From Here to Eternity on vinyl?

Post by Flex »

CorwoodRep wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 3:56pm
Anybody know if there's a reissue plan there? I'm looking at spending like $170 for it, and I'll do it because I'm a weak man and a completist (I know it's not gonna sound better than my lossless files, it's a ritual thing for me), but I don't wanna do it and feel stupid later.

P.S. Got a mint copy of Sandinista, and I gotta say, having not heard it in a million years: side six is really good in context. Reminds me of a David Lynch score. Mysterious clangs and ethereal whooshing for days. It's real easy to imagine Silicone on Sapphire and Shepards Delight in episode eight of Twin Peaks The Return.
25th anniversary of the album is in like 3 years (holy shit), I bet they reissue it for that at least.

Addendum: I've been looking for it on fuckin' MiniDisc but don't wanna spend 90 bucks for one of my more eccentric flights of fancy...
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 3:59pm
Addendum: I've been looking for it on fuckin' MiniDisc but don't wanna spend 90 bucks for one of my more eccentric flights of fancy...
I have no idea if you are serious or not...
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 4:23pm
Flex wrote:
Dead serious. I got an MD player a year or two ago and I keep an eye out for retail MDs (to go along with the MD mixtapes I out together)

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 4:37pm
matedog wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 4:23pm
Flex wrote:
Dead serious. I got an MD player a year or two ago and I keep an eye out for retail MDs (to go along with the MD mixtapes I out together)
I’m not a collector type in that way, but I’m always fascinated by those Next Big Things that weren’t.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 5:00pm
I’m not a collector type in that way, but I’m always fascinated by those Next Big Things that weren’t.
Yeah, it's just weird technology so it's a little fun to goof with. It's sort of right on the divide between analog and digital. An interesting moment in time, right before mp3 players came along and wiped out portable physical media players.

But I've spent under $20 bucks on this detour so far and want to keep it that way (so if anyone has minidiscs they want to send me for free, let me know!)

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 5:05pm
Yeah, it's just weird technology so it's a little fun to goof with. It's sort of right on the divide between analog and digital. An interesting moment in time, right before mp3 players came along and wiped out portable physical media players.

But I've spent under $20 bucks on this detour so far and want to keep it that way (so if anyone has minidiscs they want to send me for free, let me know!)
Way back in my early days here, I had an argument—not heated or anything—with Snoh about iPods vs. MD players. He was dead set against any kind of mp3 player because you couldn't share what you had with someone else. He was talking about mailing MD discs to people. It was a weird argument because file sharing was already well established and was only getting easier.

I know B bought an MD device back in the day to record interviews while researching her diss. Can't imagine we'd ever chuck it out, so it's probably in a box somewhere.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 5:17pm
Way back in my early days here, I had an argument—not heated or anything—with Snoh about iPods vs. MD players. He was dead set against any kind of mp3 player because you couldn't share what you had with someone else. He was talking about mailing MD discs to people. It was a weird argument because file sharing was already well established and was only getting easier.
With snoh's background I can see it. MDs were biggest with tapers back in the day since they had a line out and the quality of the material being recorded to is quite good. You can still sometimes find lineages of new live recordings that source to some taper's MD recorder. And I can sort of see it - before broadband was widely available, mailing discs/tapes was still probably more realistic for a lot of people.

I actually used to own an MD player/recorder in high school that we used to make crude recordings of my punk band. It was stolen and I found the exact same model in my hometown's thrift store a few years ago? Coincidence? Probably, although I think there's a non-zero chance I was reunited with my old MD player.
I know B bought an MD device back in the day to record interviews while researching her diss. Can't imagine we'd ever chuck it out, so it's probably in a box somewhere.
Hey, uh, if you ever stumble across it you know there's one wacky music goofball in Colorado that could give it a good home...

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 5:17pm
With snoh's background I can see it. MDs were biggest with tapers back in the day since they had a line out and the quality of the material being recorded to is quite good. You can still sometimes find lineages of new live recordings that source to some taper's MD recorder. And I can sort of see it - before broadband was widely available, mailing discs/tapes was still probably more realistic for a lot of people.
I recall that I did concede the recording aspect (duh!), but torrenting, even with dial-up, was quicker than the post office.
Hey, uh, if you ever stumble across it you know there's one wacky music goofball in Colorado that could give it a good home...
Ha! If either of us think of looking for it in her office on campus—I actually did a quick check of some likely spots in the basement after this thread mutated—and locate it, I'll let you know. Better to play some Dave Exploited Band than nothing at all.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft