The Clash Jan 24 1984 Long Beach Arena uploaded on Dime on November 8, 2021

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash Jan 24 1984 Long Beach Arena uploaded on Dime on November 8, 2021

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 7:02pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:18pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 10:59pm
So what did McLaren have to do with this? Did he perform?
I read a review for the show (think it was on setlist.fm), and someone mentioned that he played "that stupid Buffalo Gals song", so apparently yes, he performed.
So that's the set where we wander off …
Hello,

I'd stay and watch. Who doesn't stare at a car wreck as they pass by (round the outside, round the outside)?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 9:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 7:02pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:18pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 10:59pm
So what did McLaren have to do with this? Did he perform?
I read a review for the show (think it was on setlist.fm), and someone mentioned that he played "that stupid Buffalo Gals song", so apparently yes, he performed.
So that's the set where we wander off …
Hello,

I'd stay and watch. Who doesn't stare at a car wreck as they pass by (round the outside, round the outside)?
Ha—well done. Out of perverse Pistols obsession, I think I owned at one time or another all of McLaren's records. They're honestly quite shitty.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I was there. The place was half full, curtained off. The crowd that was there basically didn’t know anything about the lineup change until Nick Sheppard sang Should I Stay or Should I Go and was introduced by Joe, at which point they became very agitated. The lighting and sound and performance seemed like a metal band. I went in optimistically, hoping both Joe and Mick could both continue well separately. I left thinking it pretty much blew.

I saw Malcolm’s “set” as well. He sounded as “good” vocally as he did on record!

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Kimmelweck wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 10:29pm
Thanks appleseed. I just downloaded the show from Dime. Here’s a mega link if anyone’s interested.
A few missing tracks apparently, but sound quality is very good to my ears.

https://mega.nz/file/p8lC0CiK#rdVDWoLJI ... UMpYy_olsg

Here’s the tracklist:
01. Sex Mad Roar
02. Police And Thieves
03. Should I Stay Or Should I Go
04. I'm So Bored With The USA
05. This Is Radio Clash
06. Janie Jones
07. Police On My Back
08. Clampdown
09. I Fought The Law
10. White Riot
11. Tommy Gun
Thanks so much, Kimmelweck! That's very kind of you!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 8:16pm
Wolter wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 4:29pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 11:02pm
A photo of Joe from the show:

https://newyork90.photoshelter.com/imag ... j44MYR4zVA
If you crop that above the guitar he looks like an evangelist.

He was
Ok. You got me there.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 1:05am
I was there. The place was half full, curtained off. The crowd that was there basically didn’t know anything about the lineup change until Nick Sheppard sang Should I Stay or Should I Go and was introduced by Joe, at which point they became very agitated. The lighting and sound and performance seemed like a metal band. I went in optimistically, hoping both Joe and Mick could both continue well separately. I left thinking it pretty much blew.

I saw Malcolm’s “set” as well. He sounded as “good” vocally as he did on record!
I love hearing first hand accounts.

Per BMC, "Apparently a large venue, Nick Sheppard suggested there were as many as 15,000 there this night." Sounds like a misremembrance on his part.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Long Beach Arena can hold almost 15,000 for a concert, which I suppose is where Nick got that number from. I’d guess the attendance was about eight thousand. Areas were curtained off, including the back of the arena from floor to top level. They did also play Santa Monica Civic on that tour, which holds about 3000, so that may have had an effect on Long Beach.

The almost 15,000 number would include seats behind the stage, which is where I sat seeing Bowie and the Spiders in 1973. Now that one was full.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 5:19pm
Long Beach Arena can hold almost 15,000 for a concert, which I suppose is where Nick got that number from. I’d guess the attendance was about eight thousand. Areas were curtained off, including the back of the arena from floor to top level. They did also play Santa Monica Civic on that tour, which holds about 3000, so that may have had an effect on Long Beach.

The almost 15,000 number would include seats behind the stage, which is where I sat seeing Bowie and the Spiders in 1973. Now that one was full.
:shock: I'm Jealous

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

You should be! It was fantastic.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

appleseed1 wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 2:14am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Thanks appleseed. I just downloaded the show from Dime. Here’s a mega link if anyone’s interested.

Here’s the tracklist:
01. Sex Mad Roar
02. Police And Thieves
05. This Is Radio Clash
06. Janie Jones
07. Police On My Back
08. Clampdown
09. I Fought The Law
10. White Riot
11. Tommy Gun
No problem. My strategy on Dime the last couple years, to keep my ratio up, has been to download a crap ton of stuff I couldn’t care less about but that other Dime users seem to like (for me, that means stuff like Aerosmith, Phil Collins, Grateful Dead, etc.). I would jump on those downloads as soon as they were posted, when they were first or second from the top, knowing that there would be loads of downloaders after me. Then I would let them seed for a week or two before deleting them. At first, downloading the Grateful Dead made me want to take a hot shower, but I got used to it, and it allowed me to build my ratio up to about 3.15, with about 143 gigabytes downloaded and 450 gigabytes uploaded. Now, I can potentially download thousands of older and relatively inactive Dime postings of material that I actually like (like the Clash), with no worries about my share ratio dropping into the danger zone. It's a bonus when I can get in early on a Clash download on Dime. :mrgreen:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 1:41am
appleseed1 wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 2:14am
Kimmelweck wrote:

Here’s the tracklist:
01. Sex Mad Roar
02. Police And Thieves
05. This Is Radio Clash
06. Janie Jones
07. Police On My Back
08. Clampdown
09. I Fought The Law
10. White Riot
11. Tommy Gun
No problem. My strategy on Dime the last couple years, to keep my ratio up, has been to download a crap ton of stuff I couldn’t care less about but that other Dime users seem to like (for me, that means stuff like Aerosmith, Phil Collins, Grateful Dead, etc.). I would jump on those downloads as soon as they were posted, when they were first or second from the top, knowing that there would be loads of downloaders after me. Then I would let them seed for a week or two before deleting them. At first, downloading the Grateful Dead made me want to take a hot shower, but I got used to it, and it allowed me to build my ratio up to about 3.15, with about 143 gigabytes downloaded and 450 gigabytes uploaded. Now, I can potentially download thousands of older and relatively inactive Dime postings of material that I actually like (like the Clash), with no worries about my share ratio dropping into the danger zone. It's a bonus when I can get in early on a Clash download on Dime. :mrgreen:
Keep your eyes on DIME during Christmas week, they usually have free leach through New Years, I grab the older, less popular stuff I want and don't ding my ratio.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

He was
Indeed he was.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Spiff wrote:
13 Nov 2021, 4:18pm
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

He was
Indeed he was.
So that is why they got rid of Mick (“We ain’t gonna preach and preach and preach ‘til it sounds like nonsense. You sound like some kind of evangelist.”)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I like "Buffalo Gals" and "Double Dutch". They work as fun pop songs. They didn't need any involvement from Talcy Malcy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 7:00pm
I like "Buffalo Gals" and "Double Dutch". They work as fun pop songs. They didn't need any involvement from Talcy Malcy.
I suppose they're fine. Stuff like that Fans or vogue-ing record he did were just dismal. As a conceptual guy, I can't help but he was correct about a lot of things—the premise of the Swindle has gained credibility as the years have passed—but he was not a performer in any way. Such a nasty human being, yet I have to give him his due as an intellectual and provocateur.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft