Mojo magazine Punk Icons

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
amj241
Dirty Punk

Re: Mojo magazine Punk Icons

Post by amj241 »

JohnS wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 6:46am
amj241 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 7:51pm
Thanks for the review! Looks like it’s about $22 to ship to the US- do you think it’s worth it at that price tag? I already own a few books but I’d assume this would have better pictures/graphics/etc.
$22 shipping seems a lot, although it is a fairly chunky magazine (132 pages) plus outer card jacket/wallet thing.
Do I think it's worth it? Well, how long's a piece of string - it depends on your finances, your fan-dom, what you're familiar with, all sorts. But if it helps, some more thoughts...

The vast majority of the photos will be familiar, but one thing I didn't mention before is that many of the captions are much more detailed than usual, ie dates and locations are given. It's interesting to learn where lots of classic live shots are from. I liked that - good effort, Mojo team.
The front cover photo is, I think, a colourised version of a B/W image - I can see why this was done for a cover, but B/W photos have their own quality and they're left as such elsewhere in the mag. There's tons of genuine colour photos anyway.

General layout and design are great - sympathetic to the various eras - and there's lots of montages of contemporary imagery like posters, badges, flyers etc. Again, you've probably seen it before, so it's up to you if you want to buy it again! And some of the pages are. well, not 'blank'. but just large type headings or oversized headlines so perhaps the total page count could have been reduced, but there you go.

Some of the chapters are reprinted articles from the music press at the time - a Pete Silverton one from 1978 all about recording GEER, a Sylvie Simmons 'on the road' piece about the Pearl Harbour 79 US tour, and a Chris Salewicz feature from 79/80- but done as all-new layouts (ie not reprroductions of the 70s pages) You may find these articles familiar but they were new to me, so a welcome read.

Maybe it's worth contacting Mojo to ask if they do a digital / Kindle version?
Thanks again for all these details! I’ve only been a fan for about a year now and I’m sure most of the articles/photos would be new to me so I’ll go ahead and order. The site is saying minimum 8 weeks for shipping so I’ll probably forget I ordered it and then get a nice surprise this spring :mrgreen:

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

amj241 wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 12:46am
Thanks again for all these details! I’ve only been a fan for about a year now and I’m sure most of the articles/photos would be new to me so I’ll go ahead and order. The site is saying minimum 8 weeks for shipping so I’ll probably forget I ordered it and then get a nice surprise this spring :mrgreen:
I think it's a great read for new fans so you're in for a treat. And I checked, $22 is the total cost for mag and US postage, not just the postage, so I think it's not too bad at all.
The only downside is that 8 weeks - minimum - delay! I know transatlantic mail is delayed a lot these days, but that seems OTT.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I spotted the Sex Pistols magazine is on sale now.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

laxman wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 7:40am
Spotted it too in Sainsburys however they didnt have the hard slip cover the clash one had...is that how the pistols one is or are they missing the covers?

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

motorsmell wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 11:02am
laxman wrote:
Spotted it too in Sainsburys however they didnt have the hard slip cover the clash one had...is that how the pistols one is or are they missing the covers?
I think the Sex Pistols magazine is intended to go in the folder with the Clash magazine.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

laxman wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 12:58pm
motorsmell wrote:
laxman wrote:
I think the Sex Pistols magazine is intended to go in the folder with the Clash magazine.
Really? seems odd...did the copies you saw not have the covers either then? i didnt pick one up because i thought they were missing the cover

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

motorsmell wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 2:10pm
laxman wrote:
motorsmell wrote:
laxman wrote:
Really? seems odd...did the copies you saw not have the covers either then? i didnt pick one up because i thought they were missing the cover
The copies I saw were just the magazine too. There is a space for a magazine on either side of the cover with the Clash magazine, and I just tried and two fit in OK, but I agree it is a bit strange. Apart from a small mention of the Sex Pistols on the back it is very much a Clash cover.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

laxman wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 2:28pm
motorsmell wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 2:10pm
laxman wrote:
motorsmell wrote:
laxman wrote:
The copies I saw were just the magazine too. There is a space for a magazine on either side of the cover with the Clash magazine, and I just tried and two fit in OK, but I agree it is a bit strange. Apart from a small mention of the Sex Pistols on the back it is very much a Clash cover.
Maybe your right, but they should have dropped the price a bit...8.99 is a bit steep for whats essentially a regular mojo mag...ill get a copy tomorrow...the Clash one is great