Kasbah Club artwork origin?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
tbelcher
Corner Soul

Kasbah Club artwork origin?

Post by tbelcher »

Does anyone know where the artwork for the Kasbah Club tour posters comes from? Trying to find the image without the test and a Google image search isn't turning anything up.
The Clash - Poole Arts Centre, UK, 27th July.jpg
The Clash - Poole Arts Centre, UK, 27th July.jpg (200.44 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Thanks!

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Re: Kasbah Club artwork origin?

Post by IkarisOne »

A novelization of Casablanca perhaps?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 9:01pm
Worldcat doesn't indicate that it was novelized, which is kind of surprising, especially in the golden age of paperbacks. The story and medium were so well suited for each other.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 10:34pm
IkarisOne wrote:
Worldcat doesn't indicate that it was novelized, which is kind of surprising, especially in the golden age of paperbacks. The story and medium were so well suited for each other.
There is a shit looking paperback sequel, though.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 10:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
There is a shit looking paperback sequel, though.
Casablanca II: Sam Plays It Again.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Right? It's hard to imagine any of those old classics not being books originally.

Forensically, I'd guess this was from a "men's adventure" magazine. The way it's cropped may have been to remove trade dress. But it could also have been an interior illustration, judging by the grayscale. It was most likely taken from a British magazine and the stylization reminds me of Frank Bellamy or one of his followers.

https://www.frankbellamy.co.uk/

I'd try cross-referencing "Frank Bellamy" "men's adventure" "pulp" "Morocco" "Casbah" "Hookah" "magazine illustration"

Timeframe would most likely be late 1950s to 1960s. It's the kind of stuff Joe probably ate with a spoon back in the public school days. Probably all of them did.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 3:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Right? It's hard to imagine any of those old classics not being books originally.

Forensically, I'd guess this was from a "men's adventure" magazine. The way it's cropped may have been to remove trade dress. But it could also have been an interior illustration, judging by the grayscale. It was most likely taken from a British magazine and the stylization reminds me of Frank Bellamy or one of his followers.

https://www.frankbellamy.co.uk/

I'd try cross-referencing "Frank Bellamy" "men's adventure" "pulp" "Morocco" "Casbah" "Hookah" "magazine illustration"

Timeframe would most likely be late 1950s to 1960s. It's the kind of stuff Joe probably ate with a spoon back in the public school days. Probably all of them did.
Pulp adventure magazine seems like a really good bet. Outside the early 20th c, the 1950s really amped up the civilization/savagery stories in movies, comics, and men's mags.

melodyfaker
Corner Soul

Post by melodyfaker »

yeah agree with all that's been said here, pretty tough query, could be anywhere - pulp art being a thankless and abundant media etc etc
Collage also possible hah...
I did snag a pretty large scan of the poster from a Bonhams auction page, though
(source: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26708/lot/214 )
KasbahClub_Poole_27-July-1982.jpg

and the version used on that one bootleg, with a strummer scribble in it, for fun.
(source: https://www.icollector.com/The-Clash-Jo ... _i22738186 )
22738186_1.jpg
don't forget you're alive.