Back to The Clash - Who has seen them and when?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Back to The Clash - Who has seen them and when?

Post by coffeepotman »

Heston wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 10:10am
Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 9:48am
Saw The Clash 25 times, my only regret was not seeing them earlier.
My school mates 1n 1977 went to see them and I was still listening to Prog Rock Bands.
I wasn't hit by the Punk thing until a couple of years later.
Missed The Boat!!!!

Hammersmith Odeon 27 Dec 79
Leicester 16 Jan 80
Manchester 3 Feb 80
Birmingham 6 Feb 80
Manchester 6 Oct 81
Lyceum 20 Oct 81
Lyceum 21 Oct 81
Lyceum 22 Oct 81 (Favourite Clash Show I Went To)
Brixton 10 July 82
Brixton 11 July 82
Hanley 13 July 82
Bradford 17 July 82
Derby 19 July 82
Leicester 20 July 82
Brixton 30 July 82
Brixton 31 July 82
Manchester 11 Feb 84
Leicester 12 Feb 84
Brixton 8 March 84
Brixton 9 March 84
Brixton 10 March 84
Brixton 16 March 84
Brixton 17 March 84
Brixton 6 Dec 84
Brixton 7 Dec 84

CDS
Amazing! Envy is not the word.

What was so great about the 22nd Oct Lyceum show if you don't mind me asking?
Amazing! and how you can remember all those shows!

Charlie Dont Surf
Long Time Jerk

Post by Charlie Dont Surf »

The Lyceum Show was my Favourite for a variety of reasons,
The Setlist was brilliant, the band really seemed up for it, although to be fair, they never were a band, live, to "go through the motions"
The crowd were noisy and up for it as well. Everything just seemed to click, which made for a great night.

They were the days... :mrgreen:

CDS
Someday you'll meet your rockin chair, Cause that's where we're spinnin
There's no point to want to comb your hair, When its grey and thinin

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 12:35pm
The Setlist was brilliant, the band really seemed up for it, although to be fair, they never were a band, live, to "go through the motions"
The crowd were noisy and up for it as well. Everything just seemed to click, which made for a great night.

CDS
Wow, I'm insanely jealous.

Any thoughts on any other shows? Highlights/lowlights/difference with Terry/differences with Clash 2 lineup? Any thoughts on the early 84 vs. Dec. 84 shows?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Charlie Dont Surf
Long Time Jerk

Post by Charlie Dont Surf »

matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 1:57pm
Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 12:35pm

CDS
Wow, I'm insanely jealous.

Any thoughts on any other shows? Highlights/lowlights/difference with Terry/differences with Clash 2 lineup? Any thoughts on the early 84 vs. Dec. 84 shows?
I can honestly say, I never saw The Clash going through the motions.
Every live show was a highlight,
I remember thinking my world had ended when the 1982 UK tour was cancelled.
I thought at the time, that was it, Joe had gone missing and I'd never get to see the band again.
I not a big fan of the Clash 2, but they still put on a live show and left you wanting more.
Joe was still Joe and the band, even missing Mick had an engergy that made you feel part of everything.
By the time they played Brixton in Dec 84, the Arthur Scargill Benefit shows, they had come on leaps and bounds since the early shows,
but to me, without Mick, it was never going to be the same.
Highlights definitely the 1981 shows,
Lows - None - It was The Clash

CDS
Someday you'll meet your rockin chair, Cause that's where we're spinnin
There's no point to want to comb your hair, When its grey and thinin

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 9:48am
Saw The Clash 25 times, my only regret was not seeing them earlier.
My school mates 1n 1977 went to see them and I was still listening to Prog Rock Bands.
I wasn't hit by the Punk thing until a couple of years later.
Missed The Boat!!!!

Hammersmith Odeon 27 Dec 79
Leicester 16 Jan 80
Manchester 3 Feb 80
Birmingham 6 Feb 80
Manchester 6 Oct 81
Lyceum 20 Oct 81
Lyceum 21 Oct 81
Lyceum 22 Oct 81 (Favourite Clash Show I Went To)
Brixton 10 July 82
Brixton 11 July 82
Hanley 13 July 82
Bradford 17 July 82
Derby 19 July 82
Leicester 20 July 82
Brixton 30 July 82
Brixton 31 July 82
Manchester 11 Feb 84
Leicester 12 Feb 84
Brixton 8 March 84
Brixton 9 March 84
Brixton 10 March 84
Brixton 16 March 84
Brixton 17 March 84
Brixton 6 Dec 84
Brixton 7 Dec 84

CDS
As others have said, I too am envious. Only had a couple of opportunities to see them, wish I'd seen their first US tour, but I didn't know anybody who was going and it was a long drive for a 16 year old.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Absolutely and without hesitation or even thinking about it the first thing I would do with a time machine.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 4:40pm
Absolutely and without hesitation or even thinking about it the first thing I would do with a time machine.
Yup, totally. Be sure to collect some tickets/stubs on ebay before you head back in time, so you’re assured of getting into the shows. Let Joe and Mick know that it's ok to take a break to work on side projects. And plan on having a long talk with Topper. :shifty:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

coffeepotman wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 7:02am
Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 11:33pm
weller259 wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 10:51pm
First time was at the run at Bonds, second week, cannot for the life of me remember exactly which show though. Was a great show, they sounded really great and the atmosphere was colossal.
Second and third times I saw them were the 2 shows at Shea Stadium with the Who. Was on the field at the front the first night, amongst the throng, the second night I sat in my seat. Both of those shows were real good but for me those sets weren't long enough, being a supporting act you don't play as long as when you're the headliner. The Shea shows were fun though.
Saw BAD in NYC in 1989, the Megatop tour and they totally kicked ass. I saw them again at Roseland Ballroom in 2011 and they were great.
Never saw the Clash or Joe but I saw BAD II in 1992 at the University at Buffalo (Jimmy Cliff and the Goo Goo Dolls – who were just a local Buffalo band at the time – opened). Also caught BAD 4 times on the reunion tour, including that Roseland show. I agree, Roseland was awesome.
I missed BAD in 2011 at Roseland but did catch them at Brooklyn Bowl, thought it was ok but wasn't knocked out by it.
Ha, I was at Brooklyn Bowl too - drove there alone after Boston/House of Blues the night before, and freaking loved it. Drove to Philly the next morning, to catch them at Electric Factory. At Brooklyn Bowl, I was leaned up against the stage right in front of Don. Possibly the best time I’ve had at a show. Loved that it was such a tiny venue. I remember I had to take a leak but didn’t want to give up my spot by the stage so I just re-absorbed it. :lol:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
I like it! Got room to take a friend along?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Kimmelweck wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 5:30pm
coffeepotman wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
weller259 wrote:
First time was at the run at Bonds, second week, cannot for the life of me remember exactly which show though. Was a great show, they sounded really great and the atmosphere was colossal.
Second and third times I saw them were the 2 shows at Shea Stadium with the Who. Was on the field at the front the first night, amongst the throng, the second night I sat in my seat. Both of those shows were real good but for me those sets weren't long enough, being a supporting act you don't play as long as when you're the headliner. The Shea shows were fun though.
Saw BAD in NYC in 1989, the Megatop tour and they totally kicked ass. I saw them again at Roseland Ballroom in 2011 and they were great.
Never saw the Clash or Joe but I saw BAD II in 1992 at the University at Buffalo (Jimmy Cliff and the Goo Goo Dolls – who were just a local Buffalo band at the time – opened). Also caught BAD 4 times on the reunion tour, including that Roseland show. I agree, Roseland was awesome.
I missed BAD in 2011 at Roseland but did catch them at Brooklyn Bowl, thought it was ok but wasn't knocked out by it.
Ha, I was at Brooklyn Bowl too - drove there alone after Boston/House of Blues the night before, and freaking loved it. Drove to Philly the next morning, to catch them at Electric Factory. At Brooklyn Bowl, I was leaned up against the stage right in front of Don. Possibly the best time I’ve had at a show. Loved that it was such a tiny venue. I remember I had to take a leak but didn’t want to give up my spot by the stage so I just re-absorbed it. :lol:
I'm glad you had such a great time, I liked it, it was really good but I wasn't knocked out by it....too many internal comparisons to the old days.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 5:40pm
Kory wrote:
I'm afraid the spot would have to go to another fan who was born too late to see them!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 6:18pm
Sparky wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'm afraid the spot would have to go to another fan who was born too late to see them!
Perhaps one who shares a taste for progressive pizza toppings?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 6:38pm
Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 6:18pm
Sparky wrote:
Kory wrote:
Perhaps one who shares a taste for progressive pizza toppings?
Probably better if the spot goes to a fellow insomniac (*Kimmelweck raises hand*). We'll party all night!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

coffeepotman wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 6:00pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
weller259 wrote:
I'm glad you had such a great time, I liked it, it was really good but I wasn't knocked out by it....too many internal comparisons to the old days.
That makes sense. I had only seen BAD II before that, a couple decades earlier when I was about 20, so I was stoked to see the mostly-original lineup again (with Davo of course) after Roseland. The whole reunion tour was completely unexpected when it was announced, and it was great to see Mick and the gang enjoying themselves. Like I said, I went there alone and didn’t know anyone, but it was a weird feeling of being surrounded by friends at all the BAD shows I’ve seen. Also, I talked with Gerry Harrington for about 20 minutes at Brooklyn Bowl, and also met Mick, Don and Leo, so I was in heaven. Felt like I was with my people.

So, I’ve unknowingly had close encounters of the IMCT kind with Weller (Roseland) and Coffeepotman (Brooklyn Bowl) at least. Anyone else here that saw BAD at Roseland, Boston, Brooklyn or Philly in 2011?

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

Kimmelweck wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 7:04pm
coffeepotman wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 6:00pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

That makes sense. I had only seen BAD II before that, a couple decades earlier when I was about 20, so I was stoked to see the mostly-original lineup again (with Davo of course) after Roseland. The whole reunion tour was completely unexpected when it was announced, and it was great to see Mick and the gang enjoying themselves. Like I said, I went there alone and didn’t know anyone, but it was a weird feeling of being surrounded by friends at all the BAD shows I’ve seen. Also, I talked with Gerry Harrington for about 20 minutes at Brooklyn Bowl, and also met Mick, Don and Leo, so I was in heaven. Felt like I was with my people.

So, I’ve unknowingly had close encounters of the IMCT kind with Weller (Roseland) and Coffeepotman (Brooklyn Bowl) at least. Anyone else here that saw BAD at Roseland, Boston, Brooklyn or Philly in 2011?
Yep, I saw BAD reunion shows at Roseland & Brooklyn Bowl & loved them both. Those were really special for me because it was the first time seeing the original lineup although I had seen BAD II numerous times including highlights Sound Factory ‘91, Roseland on NYE with Moby ‘92, The Stone Pony ‘94 and w/ Ranking Roger at the Academy in ‘95.

Too young to have seen The Clash but I saw the Mesky’s a bunch of times, highlight was definitely St. Ann’s (one of the best shows I’ve ever seen) but Irving Plaza ‘01 shortly after 9/11 was really special… a healing moment.

Also saw a couple of C/S gigs and they were fun too.