Back to The Clash - Who has seen them and when?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Back to The Clash - Who has seen them and when?

Post by coffeepotman »

I never got to see them with Mick Jones but I did see them in Orlando in 1984 on the Mohawk Revenge tour. I've also seen Joe in 89 maybe at the Palladium in NYC and then many times in 99-2002.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Back to The Clash - Who has seen them and when?

Post by Heston »

Missed them by half an hour on the busking tour, I was at Newcastle Monument that day.

Got into the Clash in 1983 so no real chance of seeing them, though I probably would have made it to Brixton Academy in 1984 for one of the Arthur Scargill shows if I knew they were happening.

Saw BAD loads of times and the Meskies twice.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I saw them in 1982 on Pier 84 (amazing show - I've written about this show, the support acts, and Joe's on stage banter elsewhere), at R.P.I. in Troy, NY - also in 1982 - and at Vassar College in 1984 - a good show but a different approach.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

coffeepotman wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 10:24am
I never got to see them with Mick Jones but I did see them in Orlando in 1984 on the Mohawk Revenge tour. I've also seen Joe in 89 maybe at the Palladium in NYC and then many times in 99-2002.
Any thoughts on the shows?

I got into the band casually in 2000, so I never got to see Strummer, but I did see CSI in like 2008 and BAD in 2011 (I think). Both were great times and I got to meet Mick at both. He was a lovely guy in person.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

I saw them a few times over the years in Fife, Edinburgh and Glasgow, but my favourite was when they played my home town, Dundee, in January 1980. It meant I could walk home! (Not straight after the gig, I hasten to add, as I went to a disco afterwards and met Mick and Topper)

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Was attending rock gigs regularly from about late 80/early 81 but clash didn't come my way until 84 so never got to see them with Mick. Consolation prize was pretty good, though!

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 1:55pm
coffeepotman wrote:

I got into the band casually in 2000, so I never got to see Strummer, but I did see CSI in like 2008 and BAD in 2011 (I think). Both were great times and I got to meet Mick at both. He was a lovely guy in person.
The show in 84 was interesting, I remember we got there early to party in the parking lot and Joe and Kosmo (maybe) were on the radio ranting and raving, it was a real party like atmosphere. The show was not what I was expecting and I was a little disappointed. They needed 3 guitars to do what Mick could do with one. I didn't know any of the new songs and the old songs just didn't sound right. I do remember the stage had all these TV sets set up which was cool and a great Motown tape was playing before the band went on.

Seeing Joe on the Earthquake Weather tour was also a bit disappointing, heavy on the Clash tunes which just didn't sound right and the new material just wasn't up to par.

Now jump ahead to St. Anns, I was there for 2 of the shows and they were pure magic, far far better than 99 or 2000.

As for BAD, great every time but Megatop tour was magical, 120 minutes tour not so good (with PIL). The Sound Factory show I don't remember but I KNOW i had a good time! I did see CSI and they were fun, sloppy drunk fun, you could tell they were in it for laughs.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

coffeepotman wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 4:09pm
matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 1:55pm
coffeepotman wrote:

The show in 84 was interesting, I remember we got there early to party in the parking lot and Joe and Kosmo (maybe) were on the radio ranting and raving, it was a real party like atmosphere. The show was not what I was expecting and I was a little disappointed. They needed 3 guitars to do what Mick could do with one. I didn't know any of the new songs and the old songs just didn't sound right. I do remember the stage had all these TV sets set up which was cool and a great Motown tape was playing before the band went on.

Seeing Joe on the Earthquake Weather tour was also a bit disappointing, heavy on the Clash tunes which just didn't sound right and the new material just wasn't up to par.

Now jump ahead to St. Anns, I was there for 2 of the shows and they were pure magic, far far better than 99 or 2000.

As for BAD, great every time but Megatop tour was magical, 120 minutes tour not so good (with PIL). The Sound Factory show I don't remember but I KNOW i had a good time! I did see CSI and they were fun, sloppy drunk fun, you could tell they were in it for laughs.
I remember scanning write ups of the St Anns shows on the old road to rock and roll website. The buzz all that week was incredible, killed me not to be there.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

First time I saw them was at the Hollywood Palladium in October 1979. First punk show I'd ever been to, other than local garage bands playing private parties, it was a life changing event for me. I felt bad for opener Joe Ely, audience was pretty shitty towards him. Roadies came out and tossed a trash can full of ice water on the idiots down in front of the stage who were spitting on him and throwing stuff.

Second time I saw them was at the Santa Monica Civic in March 1980, Lee Dorsey opened and once again the audience was pretty negative and narrow minded towards something new. It took Mick and Joe skanking out on the stage wearing bandanas over their faces to finally help win over the audience to something that wasn't "punk".
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

First time was at the run at Bonds, second week, cannot for the life of me remember exactly which show though. Was a great show, they sounded really great and the atmosphere was colossal.
Second and third times I saw them were the 2 shows at Shea Stadium with the Who. Was on the field at the front the first night, amongst the throng, the second night I sat in my seat. Both of those shows were real good but for me those sets weren't long enough, being a supporting act you don't play as long as when you're the headliner. The Shea shows were fun though.
Saw BAD in NYC in 1989, the Megatop tour and they totally kicked ass. I saw them again at Roseland Ballroom in 2011 and they were great.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

weller259 wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 10:51pm
First time was at the run at Bonds, second week, cannot for the life of me remember exactly which show though. Was a great show, they sounded really great and the atmosphere was colossal.
Second and third times I saw them were the 2 shows at Shea Stadium with the Who. Was on the field at the front the first night, amongst the throng, the second night I sat in my seat. Both of those shows were real good but for me those sets weren't long enough, being a supporting act you don't play as long as when you're the headliner. The Shea shows were fun though.
Saw BAD in NYC in 1989, the Megatop tour and they totally kicked ass. I saw them again at Roseland Ballroom in 2011 and they were great.
Never saw the Clash or Joe but I saw BAD II in 1992 at the University at Buffalo (Jimmy Cliff and the Goo Goo Dolls – who were just a local Buffalo band at the time – opened). Also caught BAD 4 times on the reunion tour, including that Roseland show. I agree, Roseland was awesome.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

coffeepotman wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 4:09pm

I was there for one of those and it was a fantastic show.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 11:33pm
weller259 wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 10:51pm
Never saw the Clash or Joe but I saw BAD II in 1992 at the University at Buffalo (Jimmy Cliff and the Goo Goo Dolls – who were just a local Buffalo band at the time – opened). Also caught BAD 4 times on the reunion tour, including that Roseland show. I agree, Roseland was awesome.
I missed BAD in 2011 at Roseland but did catch them at Brooklyn Bowl, thought it was ok but wasn't knocked out by it.

Charlie Dont Surf
Long Time Jerk

Post by Charlie Dont Surf »

Saw The Clash 25 times, my only regret was not seeing them earlier.
My school mates 1n 1977 went to see them and I was still listening to Prog Rock Bands.
I wasn't hit by the Punk thing until a couple of years later.
Missed The Boat!!!!

Hammersmith Odeon 27 Dec 79
Leicester 16 Jan 80
Manchester 3 Feb 80
Birmingham 6 Feb 80
Manchester 6 Oct 81
Lyceum 20 Oct 81
Lyceum 21 Oct 81
Lyceum 22 Oct 81 (Favourite Clash Show I Went To)
Brixton 10 July 82
Brixton 11 July 82
Hanley 13 July 82
Bradford 17 July 82
Derby 19 July 82
Leicester 20 July 82
Brixton 30 July 82
Brixton 31 July 82
Manchester 11 Feb 84
Leicester 12 Feb 84
Brixton 8 March 84
Brixton 9 March 84
Brixton 10 March 84
Brixton 16 March 84
Brixton 17 March 84
Brixton 6 Dec 84
Brixton 7 Dec 84

CDS
Someday you'll meet your rockin chair, Cause that's where we're spinnin
There's no point to want to comb your hair, When its grey and thinin

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 9:48am
Saw The Clash 25 times, my only regret was not seeing them earlier.
My school mates 1n 1977 went to see them and I was still listening to Prog Rock Bands.
I wasn't hit by the Punk thing until a couple of years later.
Missed The Boat!!!!

Hammersmith Odeon 27 Dec 79
Leicester 16 Jan 80
Manchester 3 Feb 80
Birmingham 6 Feb 80
Manchester 6 Oct 81
Lyceum 20 Oct 81
Lyceum 21 Oct 81
Lyceum 22 Oct 81 (Favourite Clash Show I Went To)
Brixton 10 July 82
Brixton 11 July 82
Hanley 13 July 82
Bradford 17 July 82
Derby 19 July 82
Leicester 20 July 82
Brixton 30 July 82
Brixton 31 July 82
Manchester 11 Feb 84
Leicester 12 Feb 84
Brixton 8 March 84
Brixton 9 March 84
Brixton 10 March 84
Brixton 16 March 84
Brixton 17 March 84
Brixton 6 Dec 84
Brixton 7 Dec 84

CDS
Amazing! Envy is not the word.

What was so great about the 22nd Oct Lyceum show if you don't mind me asking?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board