Did Paul Simonon Really Name The Clash?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Eddie
Corner Soul

Did Paul Simonon Really Name The Clash?

Post by Eddie »

Hi. First post here so please go easy on me because this is a genuine question!

Clash mythology holds that the band were named by Paul after he noticed the word "Clash" repeatedly appearing in press headlines. As a Clash fan for many years I've never doubted that explanation.

But today I stumbled over this book online. Titled "The Clash" (with the subtitle "The Forging Of A Rebel") it's an account published in the 1940s of the Spanish Civil War written by a veteran of that conflict.

Joe Strummer's love/fascination with Spain and that specific historical period is well known. So it's not unlikely he would have come into contact with this book at some point. (And coincidentally even the colour scheme of the dust jacket matches elements of Clash iconography).

Given the band's early propensity for self-mythology would it not be a possibility that this is where their name originated? With the Paul "was just browsing the newspaper and picking up on the angry and aggressive headlines" angle being deemed a more appropriate faked alternative better in line with pushing the band's "street" Punk image?

Any opinions? Or does anyone know if Strummer ever made reference to this author?

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: Did Paul Simonon Really Name The Clash?

Post by aza »

I have no idea, but wow if that turned out to be true. that book cover sure would make a great clash poster.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

In any case that's what Paul says in all the itws where someone ask him the question

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

I'm amazed this has never been brought up before(or perhaps it has) given the minutiae that's been pored over on here.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marcus Gray does mention this book in his London Calling book as well as the fact Barea worked for the BBCs overseas service which was, of course, where Joe himself got the title for song and album. It's a fascinating connection but Gray concluded it was a "remarkable coincidence".

Eddie
Corner Soul

Post by Eddie »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 7:52am
Marcus Gray does mention this book in his London Calling book as well as the fact Barea worked for the BBCs overseas service which was, of course, where Joe himself got the title for song and album. It's a fascinating connection but Gray concluded it was a "remarkable coincidence".
Dang! I shoulda read that book!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Eddie wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 9:35am
Low Down Low wrote:
Tbh it's still possible there's a connection there Gray didn't know about, though i can't think of any convincing reason they'd make up the Paul story, for all they loved their mythology. It's my favourite Clash book regardless, a real labour of love, and I must put that Barea book on my list too, sounds very interesting.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 10:13am
Eddie wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Tbh it's still possible there's a connection there Gray didn't know about, though i can't think of any convincing reason they'd make up the Paul story, for all they loved their mythology. It's my favourite Clash book regardless, a real labour of love, and I must put that Barea book on my list too, sounds very interesting.
The Arturo Barea book is part of an autobiographical trilogy covering the Spanish Civil War and all three books are available in one complete edition, still in print I believe. I'd like to get the edition with the cover shown above, though.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

dave202 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 1:12pm
Low Down Low wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 10:13am
Eddie wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
The Arturo Barea book is part of an autobiographical trilogy covering the Spanish Civil War and all three books are available in one complete edition, still in print I believe. I'd like to get the edition with the cover shown above, though.
Cheers, i must look out for that.

Edit: and as easy as that i just checked the local library catalogue and was able to reserve a copy so should be with me within the next week or so. Truly amazing service we have here!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I would say the Paul story is true. After they had all those other names like "The Psychotic Negatives" and "The Weak Heart Drops" and so on. Paul seeing how many times the word "Clash" appeared in the Evening Standard makes sense to me. How well read Joe was on stuff early on would be anybody's guess.

Plus as Clash mythology goes if they had taken their name from that book then that would've surely have been the better tale to tell.

Anyway great first post Eddie and welcome to the board.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 5:09am
I would say the Paul story is true. After they had all those other names like "The Psychotic Negatives" and "The Weak Heart Drops" and so on. Paul seeing how many times the word "Clash" appeared in the Evening Standard makes sense to me. How well read Joe was on stuff early on would be anybody's guess.

Plus as Clash mythology goes if they had taken their name from that book then that would've surely have been the better tale to tell.

I also thought Joe's Spain obsession came a few years later, though the Palmolive connection in 75 or 76 may suggest otherwise.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 12:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 5:09am

I also thought Joe's Spain obsession came a few years later, though the Palmolive connection in 75 or 76 may suggest otherwise.
I think original drummer Antonio Narvaez may have been Spanish also.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

belledejure
Corner Soul

Post by belledejure »

why are you doubting paul you loser. paul is skinny and has more friends than you.
i heard what you guys were saying about paul

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

belledejure wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 7:17pm
why are you doubting paul you loser. paul is skinny and has more friends than you.
What the fuck!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

belledejure
Corner Soul

Post by belledejure »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 7:38pm
belledejure wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 7:17pm
What the fuck!
you will never be him
Attachments
6D560234-2148-44DB-AAE1-245CC3D97473.jpeg
6D560234-2148-44DB-AAE1-245CC3D97473.jpeg (29.33 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
i heard what you guys were saying about paul