Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

white man wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 2:07pm
Lamacq has announced a reimagined Clash track on his show tomorrow
I have a pretty decent guess as to what that is. There is a new remix of one alternate version from the People’s Hall sessions that could be termed “reimagined”.

Unless he’s playing something from the single.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I actually am quite intrigued by some new mixes, especially if Mick is involved. With all the production and mixing work and so forth that he's done over the intervening years, and the high quality of the sound system box that he helped oversee, I'd love to see how 2022 Mick Jones handles some if that old material.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

I work in the business and got the info today (sorry I can't share finer details, but pretty quick I won't need to) and while I will be buying this, it's also a major missed opportunity.

Ugh.

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

KCportland wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 6:53pm
I work in the business and got the info today (sorry I can't share finer details, but pretty quick I won't need to) and while I will be buying this, it's also a major missed opportunity.

Ugh.

Bottom line is we should have had Rat Patrol in 1992, 2002, etc. so if we haven’t gotten it yet, there’s gotta be a pretty god damn heavy reason why we don’t, otherwise it just wouldn’t make any logical sense. Outside of a couple vocal takes & some other bits & bobs, to me, it’s superior and a far more interesting listen than CR & I know others feel the same way, hence the over the moon reaction to the low quality vinyl test pressing rips we got recently… which were so kindly spruced up by members here. So damn disappointing… but I’m sure I’ll cop the vinyl and be happy to have something “new” in my hands…

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

KCportland wrote:

Ugh.
That’s such a strange phrase, “missed opportunity”. Mick and Paul and Topper had the opportunity to release some form of a 40th Anniversary Combat Rock. Work was put into the project and this is what they chose to put out. So the group didn’t miss an opportunity, they did what they wanted to do. They didn’t want to release another expensive box set. As we know, Mick didn’t want to release anything more after Sound System. With Joe gone, they were never going to agree to release Rat Patrol, even though that’s what the record company what have liked. So they have put together their idea of a listenable, appropriate companion disc to Combat Rock. It’s not Dylan’s bootleg series, or the like. It’s for people to have this material in one place, either on a physical format or to stream. I’m pretty sure the group are aware it won’t bowl over the hardcore fans who wanted RP.

Sonny, the reason they won’t release Rat Patrol is because they never agreed to do it while Joe was alive, and so won’t do it now he’s gone. It’s as simple as that.

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 8:08pm
KCportland wrote:

Ugh.
That’s such a strange phrase, “missed opportunity”. Mick and Paul and Topper had the opportunity to release some form of a 40th Anniversary Combat Rock. Work was put into the project and this is what they chose to put out. So the group didn’t miss an opportunity, they did what they wanted to do. They didn’t want to release another expensive box set. As we know, Mick didn’t want to release anything more after Sound System. With Joe gone, they were never going to agree to release Rat Patrol, even though that’s what the record company what have liked. So they have put together their idea of a listenable, appropriate companion disc to Combat Rock. It’s not Dylan’s bootleg series, or the like. It’s for people to have this material in one place, either on a physical format or to stream.

Sonny, the reason they won’t release Rat Patrol is because they never agreed to do it while Joe was alive, and so won’t do it now he’s gone. It’s as simple as that.
"Sonny",

This is a Clash forum where Clash fans get to express opinions about Clash things. I don't work for Sony, or Mick so I don't need to carry anyone's water, unlike others.

It's a missed opportunity and something no one was really asking for.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I just want to say that "new" remixes of the same versions of the same material doesn't really thrill me or impel me to go buy it. And to me, if Mick was going to remix the version of the album he didn't originally do when there is the version he wanted to do that could be released ... I really have to wonder about the people running Sony. Are they just feckling morons? Its been 40 years now for frigging sake, get the material out to the fans, stop regurgitating the same stuff with "new" remixes and expecting everyone to go buy it.
Record companies. Truly reprehensible.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

KCportland wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 8:13pm
KCportland wrote:

Ugh.
That’s such a strange phrase, “missed opportunity”. Mick and Paul and Topper had the opportunity to release some form of a 40th Anniversary Combat Rock. Work was put into the project and this is what they chose to put out. So the group didn’t miss an opportunity, they did what they wanted to do. They didn’t want to release another expensive box set. As we know, Mick didn’t want to release anything more after Sound System. With Joe gone, they were never going to agree to release Rat Patrol, even though that’s what the record company what have liked. So they have put together their idea of a listenable, appropriate companion disc to Combat Rock. It’s not Dylan’s bootleg series, or the like. It’s for people to have this material in one place, either on a physical format or to stream.

"Sonny",

This is a Clash forum where Clash fans get to express opinions about Clash things. I don't work for Sony, or Mick so I don't need to carry anyone's water, unlike others.

Teddy was directing that towards me, the “sonny” in “sonnyburnit” so you can f*ck right off now, toodles.

And yes, Teddy, that’s why I said it had to be a pretty heavy reason and I would say that qualifies. I was thinking for awhile that maybe Mick’s copy wasn’t in a state to be released, as we know, these things degrade over time but honestly, if it’s down to them just not doing it because of the reason you gave, then I’m cool with it, disappointed obviously, but it’s admiral & honorable they are sticking to their guns about it.

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

sonnyburnit wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 8:21pm
KCportland wrote:
KCportland wrote:

Ugh.

"Sonny",

Teddy was directing that towards me, the “sonny” in “sonnyburnit” so you can f*ck right off now, toodles.

And yes, Teddy, that’s why I said it had to be a pretty heavy
Thanks for clearing up that misunderstanding in an adult way. Go have another pint.

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

KCportland wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 8:25pm
sonnyburnit wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 8:21pm
KCportland wrote:
KCportland wrote:

Ugh.

"Sonny",

And yes, Teddy, that’s why I said it had to be a pretty heavy
Thanks for clearing up that misunderstanding in an adult way. Go have another pint.
You get what ya give…

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

KCportland wrote:
KCportland wrote:

Ugh.

"Sonny",

WTF? Sonny Burnit, of course, knew I was talking to him, as his post was directly above mine, and that sentence was given its own paragraph to separate it from where I'd already addressed your comment. I don't work for Sony, or Mick, and never have. I'm a screenwriter. I'm not carrying Mick's water. He is my friend and I am trying to explain the way he sees it. It's so lovely of you to deem my contributions here as "carrying water."

Of course you get to express your opinion on the forum. So do I. Now piss off.

Ah, the internet...

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

05 Apr 2022, 8:34pm
KCportland wrote:
KCportland wrote:

Ugh.

"Sonny",

WTF? Sonny Burnit, of course, knew I was talking to him, as his post was directly above mine, and that sentence was given its own paragraph to separate it from where I'd already addressed your comment. I don't work for Sony, or Mick, and never have. I'm a screenwriter. I'm not carrying Mick's water. He is my friend and I am trying to explain the way he sees it. It's so lovely of you to deem my contributions here as "carrying water."

Of course you get to express your opinion on the forum. So do I. Now piss off.

Ah, the internet...
You quoted me directly, I don't have everyone's handle memorized so it's pretty easy to see how that can be confused. "Explaining the way he sees it," sounds not terribly far from water carrying but we'll have to disagree there. So I'll go piss off down to the chip shoppe, but I think the majority of rabid Clash fans are gonna roll their eyes tomorrow.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Most here have seemed to appreciate when I pass knowledge I have on to this board. For you, that's carrying water, or close to it, as if Mick or Paul are sending me here with instructions or that they follow the discussions. Ridiculous.

Basically what I said was that the group isn't going to put stuff they don't want to. That includes the remainder of Rat Patrol. Then I gave my opinion on why they won't release it.

I totally agree that the rabid fans who have Sound System and bootlegs of Rat Patrol aren't going to find much here. It's more just a compilation based around CR. That's the facts.

As for me, when Mick told me Sony wanted them to release Rat Patrol for the 40th, I encouraged him to say yes.
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 05 Apr 2022, 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Well that clears that one up once and for all. Rat Patrol put to bed.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

weller259 wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 8:15pm
I really have to wonder about the people running Sony. Are they just feckling morons? Its been 40 years now for frigging sake, get the material out to the fans, stop regurgitating the same stuff with "new" remixes and expecting everyone to go buy it.
Record companies. Truly reprehensible.
I think Teddy has stated that it's the band that have decided not to release it and that Sony would have liked to release it, but have bowed to the bands wishes on this. That's my take on it anyhow.