Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

On third thought, KC, you do have a point. Why did I say anything? The announcement is imminent. Everyone will have their own thoughts as to its value or lack there of. I am sorry I commented.

And yes, it was the group’s choice not to release Rat Patrol.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Duplicate.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Speaking for myself, I'd be down for it if they sped up some of the tempos and brought the guitars up in the mix and gave them a little more bite. That would be very cool to hear. Just an overall toughening up of the mix would be very cool, if that's what they mean by reimagining.

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 9:01pm
Most here have seemed to appreciate when I pass knowledge I have on to this board. For you, that's carrying water, or close to it, as if Mick or Paul are sending me here with instructions or that they follow the discussions. Ridiculous.

Basically what I said was that the group isn't going to put stuff they don't want to. That includes the remainder of Rat Patrol. Then I gave my opinion on why they won't release it.

I totally agree that the rabid fans who have Sound System and bootlegs of Rat Patrol aren't going to find much here. It's more just a compilation based around CR. That's the facts.

As for me, when Mick told me Sony wanted them to release Rat Patrol for the 40th, I encouraged him to say yes.
I appreciate the knowledge too, don't get me wrong. I just think it can be confusing as to what you think and what Mick thinks.

I wish he would have listened to both you and Sony, really. Rat Patrol bewitched me as a teenager, and it's a shame it will go officially unacknowledged.

So many of the "big" bands figure out that when it comes to legacy time, you need a younger hand to help guide the ship. The Clash are so ultra protective of their own image it's effectively destroyed the way younger audiences will view their music. The Clash camp cater to the "I was there!" fans or the "I'm developing a passing interest in 70s punk" fans, audiences who will either, sorry to be grim, be passed away in a few decades, or lose interest (70s punk isn't exactly fashionable these days, and I don't see another revival happening any time soon).

There are sooo many people who don't know how innovative Mick's record was and they never will. People into Radiohead, for example, would love Rat Patrol, but they're not gonna listen to The Clash. All they see of The Clash these days are are zips and buttons and spray painted denim jackets that litter their social media pages.

Lots of people don't know what a pigheaded decision it was of Joe's to let a company man rock producer come in and begin the remixing process without Mick even there, doesn't matter if Mick's pulling a prima donna move. You wait til the guy who wrote that music gets there. Such a betrayal of trust from the "rebel rocker".

One band that did it right? The Monkees. If left to their own devices they would look like The Association or Paul Revere and the Raiders. But Andrew Sandoval, a younger fan/journalist who knew why the Monkees we're actually interesting and how he could explain this to a skeptical audience, was allowed into the fold. He spearheaded the reissues and re-releases of their psychedelic era records, the Head film, the Rhino handmade boxsets, etc. I'm 33, I never would have given a shit if it weren't for guys like him.

The Clash have blown it. I don't see them being a relevant band for the real music nerds/music journalists/rock historians going too much further, not because they don't deserve to be relevant, but because they refuse to be.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

05 Apr 2022, 9:19pm
On third thought, KC, you do have a point. Why did I say anything? The announcement is imminent. Everyone will have their own thoughts as to its value or lack there of. I am sorry I commented.

And yes, it was the group’s choice not to release Rat Patrol.
Hey Teddy - hope you understand how appreciated you are here...

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I'm looking forward to the Cool Confusion 40th anniversary box — every released version, studio outtake and unreleased alternate mix finally collected in a 3-CD deluxe collector's edition, packaged in a live hand grenade.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 10:17pm
I'm looking forward to the Cool Confusion 40th anniversary box — every released version, studio outtake and unreleased alternate mix finally collected in a 3-CD deluxe collector's edition, packaged in a live hand grenade.
Is the hand grenade meant for use internally or externally?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Inder wrote:

Funny you say that, Inder. At least on my copy of CD2, Cool Confusion has been left out! I was going to make a joke about it before we got derailed.

Incidentally, I agree the Clash hasn’t exactly been working the legacy. The amount of stuff they turn down is astounding.

Mr. Sandoval has also done a good job with the Kinks reissues, and there he has to fight every step of the way with Ray Davies.
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 05 Apr 2022, 10:40pm, edited 2 times in total.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

IkarisOne wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 9:34pm
Speaking for myself, I'd be down for it if they sped up some of the tempos and brought the guitars up in the mix and gave them a little more bite. That would be very cool to hear. Just an overall toughening up of the mix would be very cool, if that's what they mean by reimagining.

Nah, Chris. It’s an alternate version of just one song that’s being referred to.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

05 Apr 2022, 10:34pm
IkarisOne wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 9:34pm

Nah, Chris. It’s an alternate version of just one song that’s being referred to.
Oh, well. It was a thought.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

05 Apr 2022, 10:31pm
Inder wrote:
Incidentally, I agree the Clash hasn’t exactly been working the legacy. The amount of stuff they turn down is astounding.
I keep blaming the faceless record label for the legacy management but I guess it’s easier to blame them than musicians I love and revere.

Also I don’t get the “we didn’t release it when joe was alive” excuse as they’ve released some things since 2003 but whatever at least the fans have a solid makeshift RP now. Just seems like a perfect narrative of “oh you know that massive Clash album with their biggest singles? I bet you have no idea how weird and innovative the original version was…”
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 12:52am
05 Apr 2022, 10:31pm
Inder wrote:
I keep blaming the faceless record label for the legacy management but I guess it’s easier to blame them than musicians I love and revere.

Also I don’t get the “we didn’t release it when joe was alive” excuse as they’ve released some things since 2003 but whatever at least the fans have a solid makeshift RP now. Just seems like a perfect narrative of “oh you know that massive Clash album with their biggest singles? I bet you have no idea how weird and innovative the original version was…”
But other than the two singles, Combat Rock was weird. Very weird. And releasing KYR as a lead-off single? Lunacy. Definitely not the sell out album a lot of people make out.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Matey, I don’t think it’s an excuse. This was a pivotal moment. Joe and Paul and Bernie and Kos chose to deep six Mick’s version behind his back and bring in Glyn. No one has ever expressed regret over that. They did a single album acetate without Mick knowing. Then they sacked him, which Paul still says he doesn’t regret. If Joe was still about, and pushed to release Rat Patrol, I suspect Mick would go along. Maybe. He’s been accused before of being awkward. But yeah, I do think he’d go along if Joe wanted.

We’ve got like half the RP mixes officially? Plus the Casbah single mix? No actual songs meant for RP remain unreleased. Mick’s stance now is that Glyn did a good job. After remastering this new collection, he stands by that. And that Glyn had amazing outboard gear.

I too would to have a spiffy, official release of RP. And yeah, that’s a good narrative you propose. Very Dylan bootleg series.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

I guess a rock the casbah Mix with Ranking Roger will be included
A pristine version from Overpowered 12" inch NY mix would be great
And that inoculated long version from the acetate too

Is there a realease date yet ?

Thx for all the info @TeddyB

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Thanks for the info TeddyB much appreciated as always. Your presence here makes this a much more worthwhile place to be.

I can understand certain fans frustrations at wanting stuff that we all know to exist released in a certain way. I like to consider that more from having a passion for the band still after all the years.

Rat Patrol has been out there for a long time now. Some of it already released on official product.

Whilst I would love to see a full release I still think it's important to respect the wishes of the remaining band members and the sadly departed.

So what we will get is a compromise between keeping us greedy fans happy and respecting those previous decisions made while Joe was still with us.

"Missed opportunity" no it isn't, it's a venture gained.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia