Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Post by NoMoreHugh »

I have been listening to this today and the second side i'm just not too excited about to be honest. Now i haven't listened properly to Combat Rock for quite a few years and always just think of it as the 5th best album the Clash did. But listening today i have just been reminded of what a great album this is and not a single bad track on it. Today for some reason i have been really enjoying SISOSIG and RTC as well as the whole thing, usually i just saw them two tracks as just boring and need to be in the mood to listen. I have always liked Combat rock though its just listening today has made me think more about just how good it really is.
I'm thinking these songs come out best as a whole album project rather than individual song listening.

I love the Vietnam war theme its always had for me.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:07am
It's always good to hear new versions and music, but boy was this a missed opportunity.
Unless vinyl side D has the world's greatest secret bonus track.
Side D has a shortened edit of "Time Is Tight" with train sound effects added in.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 4:04pm
I wasn’t either. The Know Your Rights on the new release is a new remix of the original outtake version from Ear Studios.

Was this KYR version remixed by Mick? I don't have a physical copy with liner notes to check.
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

He Who Dares or Is Tired is a nice jaunty little tune. I assume it's from Marcus Music or Ear Studios because Gary Barnacle is heavily featured on this and I don't think he was at Electric Lady. Bummer about no vocals, but I'm glad to have it.

Know Your Rights outtake is mildly worthwhile. Yeah, not as good as the other versions due to lack of Joe hectoring and the backing track doesn't seem different. At least the structure/arrangement doesn't seem different. Regardless, I always enjoy alt versions as a way to get an insight into a band's creative process as long as there is a substantial difference.

First Night Back in London is fucking weird. They added a plane landing intro and then just got the song off when the vocals are done. There's one minute of instrumental cut off for some reason.

Radio One is a Sandinista era track, not even an outtake. I've vented about this before, but given it's a *Mikey (sorry Marky!) Dread song, it has no place on any Clash product. I am not going to feel THAT strongly about it, but yeah, if it has to be on a Clash product, it's Sandinista era and should go there. Speaking of Sandinsta era...

Outside Bonds - Okay, this is supposedly a compilation of context free Bonds audio from May/June 1981. The whole Bonds residency seems firmly a Sandinista era thing. They were touring that album, playing those songs. Yeah, Radio Clash is in there, but in my head, Bonds related stuff should be saved for Sandinsta focused products. And even if it were on a Sandinista product, it would be an absolute waste. I can't really make out what's going on, as noted there is no context for anything and it's 4 1/2 minutes long. Just fuck this thing.

In summary, one mildly interesting outtake, one mildly interesting alt version and then just a bunch of shit we already have or a couple of nonsensical tracks that should be on other reissues. I get that the blame should be placed on Mick, Paul, Paul's ex-wife?, Joe's wife, Topper?, but they seem to not care about any legacy releases yet want to control every legacy release. It's insanely frustrating. What's the last worthwhile archive release? Vanilla Tapes from 18 fucking years ago? Jesus Christ. Sound System had a handful of worthwhile tracks - Kangaroo Court, Fulham, Sean Flynn extended, Ghetto D and a bunch of shittily mixed live tracks. I guess the demos were nice to have even if Career Ops has some mixing error. So maybe 5-10 outtakes in 18 years. This fucking band. You have an insanely interesting archival opportunity and you don't want to do it because of an argument you had 40 fucking years ago with your friend/bandmate who has been gone for 20 years? Give me a fucking break.

Excuse my unedited rant.
Last edited by matedog on 20 May 2022, 12:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
20 May 2022, 11:54am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:07am
It's always good to hear new versions and music, but boy was this a missed opportunity.
Unless vinyl side D has the world's greatest secret bonus track.
Side D has a shortened edit of "Time Is Tight" with train sound effects added in.
Not sure if that's a joke or not...
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, if the remaining principles decided that they couldn't release this incredible archival (i.e. Rat Patrol and any other mixes or alt takes lying around) product because of the spat from decades ago with a deceased band member, it's seems downright shameful they decided to ignore their own actual rule of "don't release product that Joe didn't approve" to put out this thing which includes a couple tracks Joe didn't agree to release (breaking the rules!!!!) and otherwise comes off as an extremely cynical cash grab.

We keep hearing the record label kept wanting to do this and that and the other thing and the band put its foot down. Well, stop threatening us with a good time. If all the band wants to do is milk the same material over and over and over again and block the label from putting out actual new stuff, they should at least own up to wanting another payday. That's fine, I liked payday too. But recognize how much the band has managed to tarnish it's own brand over the years. There was a window of time when the band was poised to reclaim the title of The Only Band That Matters and they just bumblefucked their way out of their legacy because, I guess, old wounds never heal or something.

The logic, which I really truly appreciated hearing about from the band way back when, from decades ago that it's great that all these live recordings and boots are out there so the label doesn't need to just dump any old crap out there doesn't really hold water anymore. Anyone with access to real source tapes can put out a substantially better-sounding release than what we fans have (not counting the stuff kept under lock and key by the elite collectors in our midst). Labels have pivoted to hardcore-fan-friendly (if wallet busting) releases of booted and unreleased material. Maybe I'd have groused as a Super Duper Deluxe box of combat rock costing a few hundred dollars but I'd have just not fuckin' bought it and at least this shit would be out in the world for people to enjoy. And we all follow enough other stuff to know that the bajillion dollar package also has reasonable entries with most/all of the actual music available at more reasonable price points. The "oh the label wanted to to an expensive box" thing just doesn't hold water as something to block to protect fans from getting scammed.

I have tons of Bob Dylan boots downloaded. I still love every official upgrade I get because it is always, always, always better than the ropy download it's replacing. I absolutely refuse to believe that wouldn't be the case with the clash.

This isn't betrayal. The surviving band members can do whatever the fuck they want and they don't owe us shit. But whenever we hear about how they're trying to protect the fans and their legacy it's absolute laugh out loud bullshit. Just be honest that you still hold a 40 year old grudge but still want an easy payday. That's a very human place to be in. It's fine.

Faux Addendum: Self-edited a few of my even more acerbic comments.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
20 May 2022, 11:56am
He Who Dares or Is Tired is a nice jaunty little tune. I assume it's from Marcus Music or Ear Studios because Gary Barnacle is heavily featured on this and I don't think he was at Electric Lady. Bummer about no vocals, but I'm glad to have it.

Know Your Rights outtake is mildly worthwhile. Yeah, not as good as the other versions due to lack of Joe hectoring and the backing track doesn't seem different. At least the structure/arrangement doesn't seem different. Regardless, I always enjoy alt versions as a way to get an insight into a band's creative process as long as there is a substantial difference.

First Night Back in London is fucking weird. They added a plane landing intro and then just got the song off when the vocals are done. There's one minute of instrumental cut off for some reason.

Radio One is a Sandinista era track, not even an outtake. I've vented about this before, but given it's a Marky Dread song, it has no place on any Clash product. I am not going to feel THAT strongly about it, but yeah, if it has to be on a Clash product, it's Sandinista era and should go there. Speaking of Sandinsta era...

Outside Bonds - Okay, this is supposedly a compilation of context free Bonds audio from May/June 1981. The whole Bonds residency seems firmly a Sandinista era thing. They were touring that album, playing those songs. Yeah, Radio Clash is in there, but in my head, Bonds related stuff should be saved for Sandinsta focused products. And even if it were on a Sandinista product, it would be an absolute waste. I can't really make out what's going on, as noted there is no context for anything and it's 4 1/2 minutes long. Just fuck this thing.

In summary, one mildly interesting outtake, one mildly interesting alt version and then just a bunch of shit we already have or a couple of nonsensical tracks that should be on other reissues. I get that the blame should be placed on Mick, Paul, Paul's ex-wife?, Joe's wife, Topper?, but they seem to not care about any legacy releases yet want to control every legacy release. It's insanely frustrating. What's the last worthwhile archive release? Vanilla Tapes from 18 fucking years ago? Jesus Christ. Sound System had a handful of worthwhile tracks - Kangaroo Court, Fulham, Sean Flynn extended, Ghetto D and a bunch of shittily mixed live tracks. I guess the demos were nice to have even if Career Ops has some mixing error. So maybe 5-10 outtakes in 18 years. This fucking band. You have an insanely interesting archival opportunity and you don't want to do it because of an argument you had 40 fucking years ago with your friend/bandmate who has been gone for 20 years? Give me a fucking break.

Excuse my unedited rant.
What have I ever done to you?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:28pm
matedog wrote:

Radio One is a Sandinista era track, not even an outtake. I've vented about this before, but given it's a Marky Dread song, it has no place on any Clash product. I am not going to feel THAT strongly about it, but yeah, if it has to be on a Clash product, it's Sandinista era and should go there. Speaking of Sandinsta era...

Excuse my unedited rant.
:lol:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
God damn it! Sorry MD! Edited.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:16pm
Yeah, if the remaining principles decided that they couldn't release this incredible archival (i.e. Rat Patrol and any other mixes or alt takes lying around) product because of the spat from decades ago with a deceased band member, it's seems downright shameful they decided to ignore their own actual rule of "don't release product that Joe didn't approve" to put out this thing which includes a couple tracks Joe didn't agree to release (breaking the rules!!!!) and otherwise comes off as an extremely cynical cash grab.

We keep hearing the record label kept wanting to do this and that and the other thing and the band put its foot down. Well, stop threatening us with a good time. If all the band wants to do is milk the same material over and over and over again and block the label from putting out actual new stuff, they should at least own up to wanting another payday. That's fine, I liked payday too. But recognize how much the band has managed to tarnish it's own brand over the years. There was a window of time when the band was poised to reclaim the title of The Only Band That Matters and they just bumblefucked their way out of their legacy because, I guess, old wounds never heal or something.

The logic, which I really truly appreciated hearing about from the band way back when, from decades ago that it's great that all these live recordings and boots are out there so the label doesn't need to just dump any old crap out there doesn't really hold water anymore. Anyone with access to real source tapes can put out a substantially better-sounding release than what we fans have (not counting the stuff kept under lock and key by the elite collectors in our midst). Labels have pivoted to hardcore-fan-friendly (if wallet busting) releases of booted and unreleased material. Maybe I'd have groused as a Super Duper Deluxe box of combat rock costing a few hundred dollars but I'd have just not fuckin' bought it and at least this shit would be out in the world for people to enjoy. And we all follow enough other stuff to know that the bajillion dollar package also has reasonable entries with most/all of the actual music available at more reasonable price points. The "oh the label wanted to to an expensive box" thing just doesn't hold water as something to block to protect fans from getting scammed.

I have tons of Bob Dylan boots downloaded. I still love every official upgrade I get because it is always, always, always better than the ropy download it's replacing. I absolutely refuse to believe that wouldn't be the case with the clash.

This isn't betrayal. The surviving band members can do whatever the fuck they want and they don't owe us shit. But whenever we hear about how they're trying to protect the fans and their legacy it's absolute laugh out loud bullshit. Just be honest that you still hold a 40 year old grudge but still want an easy payday. That's a very human place to be in. It's fine.

Faux Addendum: Self-edited a few of my even more acerbic comments.
I agree with your sentiment and all the other sentiments mentioned in this thread.

This could and should've been so much better. Remember when VFM actually meant not ripping off your fans and what made the band so important and different in the first place.
This release is an Ill thought out one definitely. I like Mick's initial idea of "The People's Hall" hoping we might get a selection of unheard demos or something similar. The Bonds track? as mentioned is a pathetic waste of space. The news reports that have been included on many bootlegs are way more interesting. Just sounds like people moaning about Ticketron tickets.

Including the Mikey track is plain bizarre regardless of why it was included. And as for the blank side of vinyl...

Why not just include a blank CD so fans can burn the Rat Patrol tracks to it.

The main album is as great as it ever was.

The Clash were a people's band so why not let "the people" curate the next release.😉
Last edited by Marky Dread on 20 May 2022, 12:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
God damn it! Sorry MD! Edited.
😉👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:48pm
I agree with your sentiment and all the other sentiments mentioned in this thread.

This could and should've been so much better. Remember when VFM actually meant not ripping off your fans and what made the band so important and different in the first place.
This release is an Ill thought out one definitely. I like Mick's initial idea of "The People's Hall" hoping we might get a selection of unheard demos or something similar. The Bonds track? as mentioned is a pathetic waste of space. The news reports that have been included on many bootlegs are way more interesting. Just sounds like people moaning about Ticketron tickets.

Including the Mikey track is plain bizarre regardless of why it was included. And as for the blank side of vinyl...

The Clash were a people's band so why not let "the people" curate the next release.😉
I genuinely think the band should hire you as their archival coordinator and producer, Marky. There's no better man for the job.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:57pm
Marky Dread wrote:

I genuinely think the band should hire you as their archival coordinator and producer, Marky. There's no better man for the job.
Something I would happily dedicate time to freely.

As long as whoever does it does with a keen eye for detail and with a passion.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Agreed 100%.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 May 2022, 1:05pm
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Something I would happily dedicate time to freely.

As long as whoever does it does with a keen eye for detail and with a passion.
Be careful of what you wish for, you'll have to endure at least one fan who won't shut up about releasing Lewisham.