Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Re: Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Post by chocolatejesus »

Teddy, thank you for the Info. Its so much more convenient to be annoyed by Sony than by Mick, Paul and Topper. Its hard to believe the samples of IC would have been that big a cost factor.
Mick did not give you any information on He who dares...did He? Do you know how happy he and the clash Camp are with this release? Sorry to be so invasive here but its super interesting to get some insights here.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I only asked why Cool Confusion wasn’t there. Inoculated City came up in conversation and Mick said he wanted to use it but they were unwilling to pay for the samples in the original mix. Don’t forget they even had to remove 2000 Flushes until they settled.

He said dealing with the record company on this was nothing like any previous experiences, that it was far more corporate and by the numbers, and just how much the business has changed.

He did volunteer that he likes He Who Dares and was also pleased they got Futura on there.

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 6:03pm
I only asked why Cool Confusion wasn’t there. Inoculated City came up in conversation and Mick said he wanted to use it but they were unwilling to pay for the samples in the original mix. Don’t forget they even had to remove 2000 Flushes until they settled.

He said dealing with the record company on this was nothing like any previous experiences, that it was far more corporate and by the numbers, and just how much the business has changed.

He did volunteer that he likes He Who Dares and was also pleased they got Futura on there.
The subject of Radio One didn't come up by any chance? That was a really odd choice.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

He said dealing with the record company on this was nothing like any previous experiences, that it was far more corporate and by the numbers, and
Fascinating insight, Teddy, thanks. Interesting to learn that the 'heritage release' aspect of the music biz is changing, and not for the better by the sounds of it.
I hope that the time when fund-managing suits curate back catalogues completely, with no consultation of the original artists, is a long way past my bedtime.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

So Sony cleared Sergio Leone, John Huston and Nick Roeg samples on B.A.D. samples but wouldn't clear samples of decades old radio advertisements, the producers of which are probably deceased or who wouldn't even recognize them in 2022 as their own work.

I don't know if I fully believe that, but if that's actually true that is hilarious and insane.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

No one cleared samples in the 80’s until the Biz Markie lawsuit. There are also different metrics, with record sales having fallen off exponentially since 1985.

Mick wanted to use Inoculated City on there. He dug up multiple mixes of it.

danbot
Dirty Punk

Post by danbot »

Thanks for the info, Teddy. Much appreciated. This makes me all the more grateful to have the acetate version. And, I guess, glad there no samples in the RP versions of Sean Flynn and Straight to Hell!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

02 Jun 2022, 9:43pm
No one cleared samples in the 80’s until the Biz Markie lawsuit. There are also different metrics, with record sales having fallen off exponentially since 1985.

Mick wanted to use Inoculated City on there. He dug up multiple mixes of it.
There wasn’t an issue with the 2012 or whenever reissue/Special Edition of TIBAD? Do old samples get grandfathered in?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 11:09pm
There wasn’t an issue with the 2012 or whenever reissue/Special Edition of TIBAD? Do old samples get grandfathered in?
Yeah. That's why when the Beastie Boys reissued Paul's Boutique they could put out the album proper but couldn't include alternate cuts and so forth.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sampling can be very expensive.

Fun Loving Criminals' record label paid, $8,000 for using audio clips from Pulp Fiction in their song Scooby Snacks.

Some old movies in the public domain maybe easier. But it's all about making notes in the studio of what samples you actually used. If you haven't done this then your record makes money you run the risk of being sued.

It maybe a case that Sony simply don't know where the samples are from and don't want to take the risk.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Once upon a time there was a band that was loved very much by its fans, once upon a time there was a band that loved their fans very much, so much that they fought with the record company to release the records at a reduced price. But time passes and I think that Mick Jones should have been consistent with what was stated after the Sound System Box was released and devote himself to re-editions of the BAD material. Of whoever is responsible for the compilation of this double CDs, I say that the fans deserve more respect and better products. Without offending anyone.
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 2:18am
Once upon a time there was a band that was loved very much by its fans, once upon a time there was a band that loved their fans very much, so much that they fought with the record company to release the records at a reduced price. But time passes and I think that Mick Jones should have been consistent with what was stated after the Sound System Box was released and devote himself to re-editions of the BAD material. Of whoever is responsible for the compilation of this double CDs, I say that the fans deserve more respect and better products. Without offending anyone.
That fight with the record company you mentioned doesn't come cheap and still continues even more so all these years later. And as mentioned in this thread already Mick wanted more on the release than what appeared. I understand your frustration with the release and that's fair. A lot more politics in play here than what's common knowledge.

I say give Mick a break. No one forces anyone here to buy the release. Everyone knew before this release that Mick wasn't going to release Rat Patrol in full and that is his choice. On the other hand everyone has already got a copy of Rat Patrol anyway.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

danbot
Dirty Punk

Post by danbot »

Given that not everyone has ponied up for Sound System or even Clash on Broadway, the second disc is a pretty good companion to Super Black Market Clash. I think Long Time Jerk and First Night are the only overlaps.

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 4:48am
Red Angel wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 2:18am
That fight with the record company you mentioned doesn't come cheap and still continues even more so all these years later. And as mentioned in this thread already Mick wanted more on the release than what appeared. I understand your frustration with the release and that's fair. A lot more politics in play here than what's common knowledge.

I say give Mick a break. No one forces anyone here to buy the release. Everyone knew before this release that Mick wasn't going to release Rat Patrol in full and that is his choice. On the other hand everyone has already got a copy of Rat Patrol anyway.
I agree 100% with everything Marky posted above.

Am I Disappointed in the new release, yes!
Did I Purchased the new release, yes! (My choice)
Blame the band, No not without knowing all the facts.
Will I buy more "offical releases", of course!
Why? Because of over the many years of being a Clash fan, I've received sooo much material that was traded for or posted for download that didn't cost me anything.

I love the band and want it all!

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I ordered the Japanese CD version of CR/People's Hall - it comes in a proper plastic fatboy case, not a cardboard thing - so at least it looks more like a deluxe anniversary set even if its contents fall a bit flat! A pathetic way, I know, to try and maximise my excitement out of this release.
Anyway I've just received it and am pleased to say, as per most Japanese CDs I have, it includes a customary bonus booklet of extra notes (in Japanese) plus lyrics (English, and Japanese) The lyrics covered are for both the regular album, plus the bonus disc stuff.
And yes, this does include - I kid ye not - 'Outside Bonds' ! Yep, a transcription of all the chat and comments, so I can recite-a-long-a-Bonds-crowd! Worth every penny of its expensive import costs.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres