Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
31 May 2022, 6:58am
The article also refers to including a previously unreleased demo version of Sean Flynn, but it is the Sound System version?
Yes it the Rat Patrol (Marcus Music) version that was previously released on Sound System.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

It's definitely a 5 star release if you hit your head with a mallet to the point where you suffer irreversible memory loss and all those tracks become new again!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:45pm
It's definitely a 5 star release if you hit your head with a mallet to the point where you suffer irreversible memory loss and all those tracks become new again!
I love the album regardless of it's faults. The new release hasn't diminished that.

All the naysayers here can go listen to something else. It's not that difficult. Go play Cut the Crap instead.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2022, 1:15pm
Flex wrote:
I love the album regardless of it's faults. The new release hasn't diminished that.

All the naysayers here can go listen to something else. It's not that difficult. Go play Cut the Crap instead.
Thanks Marky re the Sean Flynn, and I am with you on this one. I am enjoying the release and I have played CD2 more than CD1. I haven't even skipped Outside Bonds (yet).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
31 May 2022, 1:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:

Thanks Marky re the Sean Flynn, and I am with you on this one. I am enjoying the release and I have played CD2 more than CD1. I haven't even skipped Outside Bonds (yet).
Some people here just like The Clash.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Go play Cut the Crap instead.
Well it is nearly June. :shifty:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
31 May 2022, 2:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Go play Cut the Crap instead.
Well it is nearly June. :shifty:
The loons in June play songs without a tune under the shadowy moon.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

I have two original vinyl pressings and the Sound System CD boxset so, for me, it's great to have the remastered CR on vinyl along with those bonus tracks that appeared on SS and the few previously unreleased tracks.

That said, I can't see that I would revisit the bonus 1.5 sides of vinyl much. The context and flow just seem all wrong. Had it been a Rat Patrol then absolutely I would be spinning it to death.

The 40th would have been an easy win with a 4LP set.

1x Combat Rock
2x Rat Patrol
1x Other mixes / outtakes.

Plus a decent set of liner notes. The notes with the 40th are pointless to anyone wanting to know anything about the bonus material other than the song titles. The sleeve doesn't even mention what is a b-side, previously released outtake / mix or totally new previously unreleased track. I feel sorry for any very confused newbie listener going for a CR deep dive.

I'm not expecting a CR 4xLP set or even a stand alone RP anytime this side of a 50th anniversary and not to be morbid, I hope I'm still knocking about to catch it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Spencey wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 6:07pm
not to be morbid, I hope I'm still knocking about to catch it.
This thought goes through my mind almost constantly when I think of series that I'm in the middle of. There's a comic series by Joshua Cotter that he says is going to go to 7 volumes, and he's only working on vol. 3 at the moment. Given how long it takes him to produce them, I'm worried that even he won't make it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 6:52pm
Spencey wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 6:07pm
not to be morbid, I hope I'm still knocking about to catch it.
This thought goes through my mind almost constantly when I think of series that I'm in the middle of. There's a comic series by Joshua Cotter that he says is going to go to 7 volumes, and he's only working on vol. 3 at the moment. Given how long it takes him to produce them, I'm worried that even he won't make it.
Robert Caro is 87 years old and has been working on his remarkable LBJ biography since the mid-70s. Four volumes of a projected five have been published, and he's been working on the fifth for the past ten years. It's hard not to see its completion as a race against time.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Two bits of info:

The record company wouldn't pay to clear the samples for the extended Inoculated City. Mick would have included the "final" version from Electric Lady, dated February 2nd, a couple of days after the Rat Patrol acetates were cut.

They didn't include Cool Confusion because Mick doesn't like the recorded version. There's an earlier more rhythm-based demo, more like he wished they'd done it, but they couldn't locate the one with Joe's vocals. Guessing maybe the instrumental is what's on Hell W10?

Carry on...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Thanks for the info Teddy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Cheers TB, that's a shame about IC. You would think Sony would cough up after all the dough the Clash have made for them in the years since their demise.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 4:08am
Cheers TB, that's a shame about IC. You would think Sony would cough up after all the dough the Clash have made for them in the years since their demise.
Real shame about that. I wonder if they just don't want to take the risk. Not knowing what all the samples are. Inoculated City is brilliant and one of the tracks that didn't benefit one bit from Glyn Johns edit.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 02 Jun 2022, 11:56am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 4:08am
Joe called it decades ago:

"Gimme Honda, Gimme Sony, So Cheap and Real Phony"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble