Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2022, 4:48am
Low Down Low wrote:
23 May 2022, 4:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2022, 3:58am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
22 May 2022, 11:39pm
I'm hearing a bit of "You Can't Hurry Love" in "He Who Dares Or Is Tired"...
Yep as others have stated it feels very similar to "Town Called Malice" by The Jam which in turn borrows from "You Can't Hurry Love".
And Hitsville too. I guess it's just a fairly regular Motown catch?
...and "Lust For Life" by Iggy Pop. It's been used endless times.

"Hitsville UK" doesn't actually use the same bass line but that Motown feel was obviously an inspiration.
Exactly, it’s just a rhythm/feel. I don’t think the songs are melodically similar at all. Add “Walking on Sunshine” to the list of songs with this feel that people say “this songs sounds exactly like….”
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

matedog wrote:
23 May 2022, 9:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2022, 4:48am
Low Down Low wrote:
23 May 2022, 4:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2022, 3:58am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
22 May 2022, 11:39pm
I'm hearing a bit of "You Can't Hurry Love" in "He Who Dares Or Is Tired"...
Yep as others have stated it feels very similar to "Town Called Malice" by The Jam which in turn borrows from "You Can't Hurry Love".
And Hitsville too. I guess it's just a fairly regular Motown catch?
...and "Lust For Life" by Iggy Pop. It's been used endless times.

"Hitsville UK" doesn't actually use the same bass line but that Motown feel was obviously an inspiration.
Exactly, it’s just a rhythm/feel. I don’t think the songs are melodically similar at all. Add “Walking on Sunshine” to the list of songs with this feel that people say “this songs sounds exactly like….”
Well, i would say they are clearly distinct songs but the first times i heard Malice, i clearly recall making the link to Hitsville, though i was too clueless then to be aware of the motown connection. Whether it was just the vibe or feel of it or whatever, i don't know, it's just what my ears heard.

Anyway I think this is standard across pretty much all genres. I'm reminded of the clip, cant remember by who but like something Bill Bailey would do, where to a fairly standard rock/pop backing track he plays a load of well known songs, seamlessly seguing into each without slipping a beat.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

This might be old news but Don Lett's Culture Clash radio show (available to stream at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017d9d for the next 30 days) had a Combat Rock special this week. Nothing "new" but a nice way to spend 2 hours.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

This re-release would have been more cohesive if it just omitted Radio One and Outside Bonds and replaced those with the rest of the previously released CR material:
Ghetto Defendant (unedited version)
Straight to Hell (extended version)
Cool Confusion
Mustapha Dance

It would accurately acknowledge the Combat Rock era, be a way to promote to new listeners on streaming, and make these songs available on vinyl (for those who didnt buy SS). Still very disappointing but at least it would be framed as a promotional repackaging than whatever the People's Hall concept set out to do.

This reissue is also clumsily executed with two orphaned Ranking Roger tracks on 7", a blank Side D, a Sandinista song and Outside Bonds which would have been better served with a Don Letts narration on it. Ultimately, if Rat Patrol was never going to see the light of day then they should have taken the Vanilla Tapes approach and released the demos.
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

We’re the two Ranking Roger singles ever released before?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JChampion wrote:
23 May 2022, 2:21pm
Bootleg 7" only.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2022, 2:32pm
JChampion wrote:
23 May 2022, 2:21pm
Bootleg 7" only.
Ok thanks Marky.
I had some digital dollars from Amazon so I bought the two official Ranking Roger singles in MP3 format.
So I basically got both songs for free for allowing Amazon to deliver my packages late!

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

topperville wrote:
21 May 2022, 4:12pm
I’ll be honest here - I’m angry! I bought the CD edition despite having serious reservations, having read the info regarding what was on it. I’ve bought everything they’ve ever released from day one, White Riot single, first album with red sticker, freebie Capitol Radio EP in the post etc… Spent hard earned pocket money on those. Spent my paper round money on gigs in Torquay and Exeter and Bristol before I could earn some proper money to travel further afield to see them. Why? Because I love the band but… I’m never gonna play this release again! I’ve spent today playing the version of Rat Patrol that I created from Sound System and the acetate several times in an attempt to cheer myself up. I feel totally cheated and conned by the remaining members now. And I say that that with a heavy heart! What has happened to the band that would haul kids through windows to see their gigs for free, insist on two albums for the price of one, release a triple for £4.99? TeddyB - please pass on my views to Mick! Very, very sad quite frankly!
Which versions of songs from all our sources would make the most comprehensive and best sounding Rat Patrol?
And don't be shy Marky if you know/feel they are your remixes. ;)

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2022, 4:52am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
22 May 2022, 11:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2022, 3:25am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
22 May 2022, 12:01am
topperville wrote:
21 May 2022, 4:12pm
I’ll be honest here - I’m angry! I bought the CD edition despite having serious reservations, having read the info regarding what was on it. I’ve bought everything they’ve ever released from day one, White Riot single, first album with red sticker, freebie Capitol Radio EP in the post etc… Spent hard earned pocket money on those. Spent my paper round money on gigs in Torquay and Exeter and Bristol before I could earn some proper money to travel further afield to see them. Why? Because I love the band but… I’m never gonna play this release again! I’ve spent today playing the version of Rat Patrol that I created from Sound System and the acetate several times in an attempt to cheer myself up. I feel totally cheated and conned by the remaining members now. And I say that that with a heavy heart! What has happened to the band that would haul kids through windows to see their gigs for free, insist on two albums for the price of one, release a triple for £4.99? TeddyB - please pass on my views to Mick! Very, very sad quite frankly!
The CD packaging doesn't even have the pocket in the center to hold the booklet and poster/lyric sheet. What's up with that? If I wasn't careful when first opening it, the booklet and poster would've fallen out. The Clash Hits Back CD has the booklet pocket, so this is odd.
That's strange my copy does. The poster and booklet are in the middle opening.
Here's mine. No opening compared with that of the Clash Hits Back CD next to it:

CR + TPH CD 3.JPG

CR + TPH CD 4.JPG
That's odd as my "Hits Back" and "Combat Rock" use the same format.
Thanks for the pic.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
23 May 2022, 1:27am
evair wrote:
22 May 2022, 2:57pm
By the Way, Don Letts said he already have the C90 of the original Rat Patrol. We should ask him...
What's a C90? Master tape?
Your question reminded me of this song:

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

One of the chord sequences in He Who Dares Or Is Tired sounded exactly like the one from Car Jamming to me. I kept thinking I was going to hear "funky multi-national anthems rocking from King Kong cassette decks." I love it. I haven't had a chance to hear it enough, but I will. Just getting a brand-new song that hasn't leaked before was huge to me and worth the price of the set.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
23 May 2022, 9:39pm
Mark^Bastard wrote:
evair wrote:
By the Way, Don Letts said he already have the C90 of the original Rat Patrol. We should ask him...

My ninth grade crush. I saw that video and was smitten.

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
evair wrote:

I apologise for reminding you :mrgreen:

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

IkarisOne wrote:
24 May 2022, 12:57am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
evair wrote:

My ninth grade crush. I saw that video and was smitten.
A friend of mine was engaged to her.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
24 May 2022, 1:26am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
evair wrote:

I apologise for reminding you :mrgreen:
:shifty: