Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Post by JohnS »

ArmagideonTim wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 3:05pm
https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/the-clash

Doing it for kids - limited Combat Rock raffle. Missed a trick by not linking it to 48 hours.
Much as I feel uneasy about charity prize draws - what if I win, should I re-donate the prize back to the cause?! - I've thrown my hat in the ring for this one.
Partly cos it's a neat idea with a cool prize, partly cos I have a lot a lot of time for Unicef (any charity given the OK by Peter Ustinov and Roger Moore is alright by me) - but especially because I won't win, thus my original misgiving won't apply!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

JohnS wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 9:29pm
ArmagideonTim wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 3:05pm
https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/the-clash

Doing it for kids - limited Combat Rock raffle. Missed a trick by not linking it to 48 hours.
Much as I feel uneasy about charity prize draws - what if I win, should I re-donate the prize back to the cause?! - I've thrown my hat in the ring for this one.
Partly cos it's a neat idea with a cool prize, partly cos I have a lot a lot of time for Unicef (any charity given the OK by Peter Ustinov and Roger Moore is alright by me) - but especially because I won't win, thus my original misgiving won't apply!
In the immortal words of someone I can't remember " Everyone will win once"
In my case it was a Sony Ericsson mobile phone back in the Xmas of 2007
Keep the prize, make a donation

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Fuck the prize. Just donate anyway!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

I once won a box full of sweets for a Robin Hood costume my mother had sewn for me.

And no, I did not give them to the poor.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 6:39am
I once won a box full of sweets for a Robin Hood costume my mother had sewn for me.

On your deathbed, you will reflect upon a life lived well … yet a single tear will nevertheless make its way down your cheek at your sin of childhood.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Olaf wrote:

Bad for their teeth mate

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:

I'm calling the sheriff!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 2:13pm
Olaf wrote:

I'm calling the sheriff!
Hello,

I shot the sheriff,

but I did not kill the deputy.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 2:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 2:13pm
Olaf wrote:

I'm calling the sheriff!
Hello,

I shot the sheriff,

but I did not kill the deputy.
So the deputy is handing out sweets now?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Not sure if shared before but a 2022 interview with Glyn Johns about Combat Rock can be read here...

https://thenewcue.substack.com/p/the-ne ... ars-of-844
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 9:45am
Not sure if shared before but a 2022 interview with Glyn Johns about Combat Rock can be read here...

"Bernie Rhodes wanted to chop guitarist Mick Jones’ mix into something less unwieldy."

Yes but Bernie you're the manager so shut the fuck up!

Bernie couldn't even remember Glyn Johns name and mentioned Gus Dudgeon.

I still think Glyn Johns wasn't the right producer for that album either. Knew nothing about punk and hated it based on the Sex Pistols a band that had been split up almost 4 years earlier. So he basically closed his ears to a whole genre of music based on what he had read about the Sex Pistols in the press.

Should've gone with Chris Thomas and Bill Price. They at least understood the music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 10:42am
Heston wrote:

"Bernie Rhodes wanted to chop guitarist Mick Jones’ mix into something less unwieldy."

I still think Glyn Johns wasn't the right producer for that album either. Knew nothing about punk and hated it based on the Sex Pistols a band that had been split up almost 4 years earlier. So he basically closed his ears to a whole genre of music based on what he had read about the Sex Pistols in the press.

Should've gone with Chris Thomas and Bill Price. They at least understood the music.
He doesn't come off as very clued up at all. Was hard pushed to even recognise Casbah or SISOSIG.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 11:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

He doesn't come off as very clued up at all. Was hard pushed to even recognise Casbah or SISOSIG.
It's clear he doesn't care for the record. Really should've picked a producer that was sympathetic to that genre at least an understanding of new wave. All Glyn Johns really did was edit. The re-recording of a couple of Joe vocals could've been done by any other producer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 11:11am
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

It's clear he doesn't care for the record. Really should've picked a producer that was sympathetic to that genre at least an understanding of new wave. All Glyn Johns really did was edit. The re-recording of a couple of Joe vocals could've been done by any other producer.
'Combat Rock' is the album I bought and loved at the time, although now I know it could have been so much more. Thankfully, we have access to Mick's greater vision, even though it only reinforces that "could have been..." thought. I'll take The Clash, warts'n'all, because in many ways it when they were fucking things up that they came out on top. Maybe not with Glyn Johns though, I wonder what Gus Dudgeon would have done with it?

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

dave202 wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 11:26am
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 11:11am
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

'Combat Rock' is the album I bought and loved at the time, although now I know it could have been so much more. Thankfully, we have access to Mick's greater vision, even though it only reinforces that "could have been..." thought. I'll take The Clash, warts'n'all, because in many ways it when they were fucking things up that they came out on top. Maybe not with Glyn Johns though, I wonder what Gus Dudgeon would have done with it?
I've come to think of Combat Rock as the 'Joe version' and Rat Patrol as the 'Mic version' since Joe was very involved in the sessions with Glyn.

It's really cool to have both visions of it. I love them both for different reasons.