Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 11:11am
Heston wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 11:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 10:42am
Heston wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 9:45am
Not sure if shared before but a 2022 interview with Glyn Johns about Combat Rock can be read here...

https://thenewcue.substack.com/p/the-ne ... ars-of-844
"Bernie Rhodes wanted to chop guitarist Mick Jones’ mix into something less unwieldy."

Yes but Bernie you're the manager so shut the fuck up!

Bernie couldn't even remember Glyn Johns name and mentioned Gus Dudgeon.

I still think Glyn Johns wasn't the right producer for that album either. Knew nothing about punk and hated it based on the Sex Pistols a band that had been split up almost 4 years earlier. So he basically closed his ears to a whole genre of music based on what he had read about the Sex Pistols in the press.

Should've gone with Chris Thomas and Bill Price. They at least understood the music.
He doesn't come off as very clued up at all. Was hard pushed to even recognise Casbah or SISOSIG.
It's clear he doesn't care for the record. Really should've picked a producer that was sympathetic to that genre at least an understanding of new wave. All Glyn Johns really did was edit. The re-recording of a couple of Joe vocals could've been done by any other producer.
In his defence I would say that the re-recording of Joe's vocals on GD and KYR were his best contribution. Maybe another producer would have let the original vocals stand. He certainly got a marked improvement, especially on GD. That butchering of IC is unforgivable though.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 12:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Not sure if shared before but a 2022 interview with Glyn Johns about Combat Rock can be read here...

"Bernie Rhodes wanted to chop guitarist Mick Jones’ mix into something less unwieldy."

I still think Glyn Johns wasn't the right producer for that album either. Knew nothing about punk and hated it based on the Sex Pistols a band that had been split up almost 4 years earlier. So he basically closed his ears to a whole genre of music based on what he had read about the Sex Pistols in the press.

Should've gone with Chris Thomas and Bill Price. They at least understood the music.
He doesn't come off as very clued up at all. Was hard pushed to even recognise Casbah or SISOSIG.
It's clear he doesn't care for the record. Really should've picked a producer that was sympathetic to that genre at least an understanding of new wave. All Glyn Johns really did was edit. The re-recording of a couple of Joe vocals could've been done by any other producer.
In his defence I would say that the re-recording of Joe's vocals on GD and KYR were his best contribution. Maybe another producer would have let the original vocals stand. He certainly got a marked improvement, especially on GD. That butchering of IC is unforgivable though.
I've always thought those vocals should've stayed on the album with just the re-recorded ones for the singles. No reason both couldn't have been released. I agree that GD is much improved with the new vocal.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

msza2 wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 11:52am
dave202 wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 11:26am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

'Combat Rock' is the album I bought and loved at the time, although now I know it could have been so much more. Thankfully, we have access to Mick's greater vision, even though it only reinforces that "could have been..." thought. I'll take The Clash, warts'n'all, because in many ways it when they were fucking things up that they came out on top. Maybe not with Glyn Johns though, I wonder what Gus Dudgeon would have done with it?
I've come to think of Combat Rock as the 'Joe version' and Rat Patrol as the 'Mic version' since Joe was very involved in the sessions with Glyn.

It's really cool to have both visions of it. I love them both for different reasons.
With more thought some of the longer mixes would've been great on 12" singles. Could've satisfied all band members.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Adding the rerecorded SISOSIG vocals as a huge improvements (I hate double tracking) and the edit of Straight to Hell (I think the "mama san said" going back to the intro is genius). I think he was a net positive on the songs he worked on.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

I was in Target today and a ton of albums were on clearance including the red vinyl edition of CR for $11.
I considered buying a second copy but didn't.
So if anyone is interested, it might be worth taking a look.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 2:16pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Adding the rerecorded SISOSIG vocals as a huge improvements (I hate double tracking) and the edit of Straight to Hell (I think the "mama san said" going back to the intro is genius). I think he was a net positive on the songs he worked on.
Agreed on Should I Stay and STH.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

oliver wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 4:04pm
I was in Target today and a ton of albums were on clearance including the red vinyl edition of CR for $11.
Wow, nice find, great price too. Unfortunately I can't find it here in So Cal or Target on line. :cry:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Sparky wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 7:24pm
oliver wrote:
Wow, nice find, great price too. Unfortunately I can't find it here in So Cal or Target on line. :cry:
If you want me to pick up a copy and send it, I can do. I think the total would probably be around $16/17 including shipping via media mail. Anything other shipping method gets too expensive to make it worthwhile.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

oliver wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 8:24pm
Sparky wrote:
oliver wrote:
If you want me to pick up a copy and send it, I can do. I think the total would probably be around $16/17 including shipping via media mail. Anything other shipping method gets too expensive to make it worthwhile.
Appreciate the offer, I'm going to try a couple of stores tomorrow, if I don't have any luck, I'll take you up on it. Thanks!

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Heston wrote:

It really was a smack in the face that they made the re-release a triple LP but wasn't Rat Patrol lol.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Interesting in that Glyn Johns interview that he makes no mention of Mick or Joe recutting lead vocals for Should I Stay or Know Your Rights. I’ve never discussed this with Mick, but this suggests maybe they had recut those before Glyn did his mix? Or perhaps his memory is failing.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

He says this regards working with Joe. There's no mention of when Mick re-recorded the lead vocal for SISoSIG. So I'm guessing Johns is talking about Joes re-takes of Ghetto and Rights.

"Though he doesn’t remember the intimate details of their conversations, Johns says the process was pretty straightforward: “Basically, he’d bring a song up, and I’d say what I felt was wrong with it. I edited a lot of the songs and made them a lot shorter.” He didn’t use all of the material Strummer had brought to the table, and he did force him back into the vocal booth for a few new takes, but overall Johns remembers the experience fondly. “I just made the whole thing move a bit more quickly in order to keep the listener’s attention more. We just had a good time, really.”

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

oliver wrote:
Sparky wrote:
oliver wrote:
Shout out to Oliver! Thank you very much for picking up a copy and shipping it to me, as I mentioned, I tried 5 stores and couldn't find it, I love colored vinyl, so this went to a good home!

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Sparky wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 5:24pm
oliver wrote:
Sparky wrote:
oliver wrote:
Shout out to Oliver! Thank you very much for picking up a copy and shipping it to me, as I mentioned, I tried 5 stores and couldn't find it, I love colored vinyl, so this went to a good home!
Great stuff Oliver, well done.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

You're more than welcome. I hate to see them unsold on the shelf :)