Happy Birthday The Clash

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Re: Happy Birthday The Clash

Post by weller259 »

Living in suburbia USA back then, this was the second Clash album we heard. Rope was first. By the time the first album made it to us here, it came with a 45 from the Cost Of Living EP. Its a great album, love most of it, the sheer power of the songs musically was incredible. Wish we would have heard it before Rope, Columbia decided otherwise however.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

weller259 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 2:29am
Living in suburbia USA back then, this was the second Clash album we heard. Rope was first. By the time the first album made it to us here, it came with a 45 from the Cost Of Living EP. Its a great album, love most of it, the sheer power of the songs musically was incredible. Wish we would have heard it before Rope, Columbia decided otherwise however.
2 track 7" Gates of the West/Groovy Times. However the album you are referring to is not the self titled debut. It's a compilation album with tracks such as "I Fought the Law" and other single cuts added. Also worth mentioning is the US compilation debut has the varispeeded version of "Clash City Rockers".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 5:34am
weller259 wrote:
2 track 7" Gates of the West/Groovy Times. However the album you are referring to is not the self titled debut. It's a compilation album with tracks such as "I Fought the Law" and other single cuts added. Also worth mentioning is the US compilation debut has the varispeeded version of "Clash City Rockers".
Yes, of course you are correct, it is that compilation, that was the only other choice we had at the time. I will say that at that time I was not savvy enough to look for "imports", I relied on my local record store to get the newest releases, there was little word-of-mouth around my world then, everyone was too busy regurgitating Styx and the Outlaws to have even heard of The Clash.
Thing is, I didn't know that wasn't truly the first album as it was constructed, all I knew was it was more The Clash that I hadn't heard so I was very happy to get it.
I still have that 7" as well, it still sounds sooooo goood lol.
Attachments
2019 02-10 Gates Of The West 45.jpg
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

weller259 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 6:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 5:34am
weller259 wrote:
Yes, of course you are correct, it is that compilation, that was the only other choice we had at the time. I will say that at that time I was not savvy enough to look for "imports", I relied on my local record store to get the newest releases, there was little word-of-mouth around my world then, everyone was too busy regurgitating Styx and the Outlaws to have even heard of The Clash.
Thing is, I didn't know that wasn't truly the first album as it was constructed, all I knew was it was more The Clash that I hadn't heard so I was very happy to get it.
I still have that 7" as well, it still sounds sooooo goood lol.
I don't think anyone could argue that the compilation is great. But it's important to remember what was their true statement.

I had the debut and then in '79 bought that comp (blue cover) with the two track 7". That was my most played vinyl for years and I virtually wore it out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Being in the States, I purchased an import copy of their debut album, then years later purchased a CD of the US release even though I already had the other tracks on it as singles or EP. The CD was nice to have so I could play it in my car (years before you could burn your own on a computer).
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung