Spanish Bombs Bass & Vocal Isolate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
marxwallace
Corner Soul

Spanish Bombs Bass & Vocal Isolate

Post by marxwallace »

This is kinda interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L3WPh9jAMY

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Re: Spanish Bombs Bass & Vocal Isolate

Post by marxwallace »

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

If you listen to the breakdown of If Music Could Talk vs Revolution Rock, those are different bass players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sOX-eYxVVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poPVZvCY5ZI

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

There's some interesting seemingly off key note he hits during the "oh my corazon" part on Spanish Bombs that I've never noticed. It's a bit of a passing tone.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 4:43pm
There's some interesting seemingly off key note he hits during the "oh my corazon" part on Spanish Bombs that I've never noticed. It's a bit of a passing tone.
I think it's just a D note on the bass against a G chord on the keys/guitar.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

marxwallace wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 4:38pm
If you listen to the breakdown of If Music Could Talk vs Revolution Rock, those are different bass players

Paul on Revolution Rock and Watt-Roy on IMCT I reckon.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 4:52pm
matedog wrote:
I think it's just a D note on the bass against a G chord on the keys/guitar.
Weird. It seems a bit jarring, but my sense of tone is pretty awful.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 4:53pm
marxwallace wrote:

There's certainly more fluidity on IMCT, particularly the sliding. Paul only played with a pick and NWR only played without right? Not sure if people with more astute bass ears can decipher on either track.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
Yeah, I could here it too, but I don't play any instruments, so I can't really analyze it too much, but it does sound "off". Heston's explanation probably nailed it
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
I never noticed that either. The whole phrase there is D-E-B (V-VI-III over the G). I historically have only played a D there.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 5:29pm
matedog wrote:
I never noticed that either. The whole phrase there is D-E-B (V-VI-III over the G). I historically have only played a D there.
Ah, it's the E which makes sense as being somewhat jarring over a G chord.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 5:35pm
Kory wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 5:29pm
matedog wrote:
Ah, it's the E which makes sense as being somewhat jarring over a G chord.
The the VI tone isn't going to be the most consonant. It does prick up the ears though. However, Gmaj is the III tone in an Emin scale, so it goes back and forth I guess.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 5:06pm
Heston wrote:
marxwallace wrote:

There's certainly more fluidity on IMCT, particularly the sliding. Paul only played with a pick and NWR only played without right? Not sure if people with more astute bass ears can decipher on either track.
Paul played fingerstyle on Bankrobber, and on stage occasionally as well (see KYR footage). RR definitely sounds fingerstyle to me, whereas IMCT could be pickstyle, if we assume the high end has been rolled off the amp. Both tracks have Paul-style flubs within, so I'm not convinced they aren't both Paul, or both the same player, at any rate. I'd imagine they played a lot of shows between recording LC and S! — that's basically practice every night. He could have improved that much over a few months. Otherwise, it's probably Mick.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 5:45pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

Paul played fingerstyle on Bankrobber, and on stage occasionally as well (see KYR footage). RR definitely sounds fingerstyle to me, whereas IMCT could be pickstyle, if we assume the high end has been rolled off the amp. Both tracks have Paul-style flubs within, so I'm not convinced they aren't both Paul, or both the same player, at any rate. I'd imagine they played a lot of shows between recording LC and S! — that's basically practice every night. He could have improved that much over a few months. Otherwise, it's probably Mick.
The Clash FAQ book has Paul as on IMCT, though I don't think that book is definitive. Your feedback on anything bass-centric is always appreciated.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 5:56pm
Kory wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 5:45pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

The Clash FAQ book has Paul as on IMCT, though I don't think that book is definitive. Your feedback on anything bass-centric is always appreciated.
I expect almost anything S! related to be misremembered, but that track definitely doesn't sound like NWR to me.