The Call Up 12" Mix

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Call Up 12" Mix

Post by Marky Dread »

bazarboy75 wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 5:30pm
As Laxman send me his version I just compared the two versions via my cubase and the 12" is slower than the album version, but there is no pitch variation which is a bit strange
I think it has more to do with the belt drive speed of a turntable. As it's a vinyl rip so could run faster or slower. But I think it would've been cut at the same speed as the original master. Just remixed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 5:35pm
bazarboy75 wrote:
As Laxman send me his version I just compared the two versions via my cubase and the 12" is slower than the album version, but there is no pitch variation which is a bit strange
I think it has more to do with the belt drive speed of a turntable. As it's a vinyl rip so could run faster or slower. But I think it would've been cut at the same speed as the original master. Just remixed.
Wouldn't a slow or fast belt drive reveal a pitch variation? A slower version without pitch variation makes me think it's a digital mix, which of course would make it not a contemporary mix.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 7:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
bazarboy75 wrote:
Wouldn't a slow or fast belt drive reveal a pitch variation? A slower version without pitch variation makes me think it's a digital mix, which of course would make it not a contemporary mix.
Well we are talking at cross purposes mate. You are referring to the upload on YouTube and I'm referring to the vinyl rip that Laxman has.

I've not listened to the YouTube upload. But I have got the version Laxman has ripped from his 12" vinyl. This 12" & 7" was released as a "special remix" and was a contemporary release. The two releases had a roulette wheel as the label. These were a totally different mix to the album and standard 7" release. I used to own the 7" many moons ago and always preferred the mix.

The 7" special remix was for The Magnificent Seven.
And the 12" was for The Call Up. Though it's not listed as a special remix it definitely is different.
Attachments
20220720_003723.jpg
20220720_003704.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

danbot
Dirty Punk

Post by danbot »

Very interesting! I have the US 12” with the generic Epic label and it also has the special mix of The Call Up. Same 48-02036 number listed in the image from Marky above. I haven’t listened to it in years and didn’t know it was different. I guess when I bought this 40 years ago, I hadn’t burned Sandinista! fully into my brain and didn’t notice the remix. (At least I’ve accomplished at least one thing since then). The flip side has a version of Mag 7 that is 2:16. According to Discogs, the 7” special remix is 3:40 so definitely not the same although it does sound a little different to my ears. Anyway, I appreciate the discovery. Thanks to all for the detective work.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 7:28pm
Heston wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 7:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
bazarboy75 wrote:
Well we are talking at cross purposes mate. You are referring to the upload on YouTube and I'm referring to the vinyl rip that Laxman has.

I've not listened to the YouTube upload. But I have got the version Laxman has ripped from his 12" vinyl. This 12" & 7" was released as a "special remix" and was a contemporary release. The two releases had a roulette wheel as the label. These were a totally different mix to the album and standard 7" release. I used to own the 7" many moons ago and always preferred the mix.

The 7" special remix was for The Magnificent Seven.
And the 12" was for The Call Up. Though it's not listed as a special remix it definitely is different.
Ah gotcha mate.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

I'm going to buy it on discogs to see if its the same mix as the one in this YT video, though I would be surprised if a fan mixed this. If anything they had the bass up/loudness on their amp or receiver on when this was originally ripped. Even if bass was turned down or loudness off, this would still pack a considerably bigger punch than the LP version.

Some of those S! mixes were so wimpy.

If I recall, Bernie (Pepe Unidos) had a hand in mixing the Magnificent Dance, which is decidedly bassier. He could have tried to give this one some oomph as well. Odd with Mick, he was a dance music/hip hop nut but was notoriously averse to heavy bass when he was at the mixing desk, B.A.D. included. I think the first record he produced with proper bass levels was Megatop, which had Bill Price engineering.

edit: also, the label has the roulette wheel mix clocking in at 4:50, and the video is exactly 4:50

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

KCportland wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 12:53am
I'm going to buy it on discogs to see if its the same mix as the one in this YT video, though I would be surprised if a fan mixed this. If anything they had the bass up/loudness on their amp or receiver on when this was originally ripped. Even if bass was turned down or loudness off, this would still pack a considerably bigger punch than the LP version.

If I recall, Bernie (Pepe Unidos) had a hand in mixing the Magnificent Dance, which is decidedly bassier. He could have tried to give this one some oomph as well. Odd with Mick, he was a dance music/hip hop nut but was notoriously averse to heavy bass when he was at the mixing desk, B.A.D. included. I think the first record he produced with proper bass levels was Megatop, which had Bill Price engineering.

edit: also, the label has the roulette wheel mix clocking in at 4:50, and the video is exactly 4:50
As I said previously it's a different mix. If you listen to the start of "The Call Up" there is no xylophone on the intro part. I've got it also.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Same goes for "The Cool Out" 2:57?
Attachments
the call up.jpg
the call up.jpg (127.92 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 7:13am
Same goes for "The Cool Out" 2:57?
The timing for "The Cool Out" on the label is incorrect. The actual timing should be (3:55). This is the standard track and not an edit.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 3:48am
KCportland wrote:

As I said previously it's a different mix. If you listen to the start of "The Call Up" there is no xylophone on the intro part. I've got it also.
Right, I know it's a different mix, I just don't think a fan remixed it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

KCportland wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 1:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 3:48am
KCportland wrote:

Right, I know it's a different mix, I just don't think a fan remixed it.
Exactly that's what I said further up. It's an officially released remix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BadReplicant wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 8:43pm
Haven't personally heard this until now, very interesting. *Almost* like a halfway point between the album mix and The Cool Out, mainly in terms of everything not being quite as soaked with reverb. I think The Cool Out is the best form of the song overall mix-wise, and the ideal version would've been that + Joe's vocal. Still my favorite song on the album regardless (tied with The Street Parade ;) )
Weird, new to me too. I think you are spot on. The lack of reverb makes everything feel a bit sharper. I'm not a fan of the track, but I think giving everything a dreamy, echoy sound doesn't help the repetitive structure of the song.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 5:34pm
BadReplicant wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 8:43pm
Haven't personally heard this until now, very interesting. *Almost* like a halfway point between the album mix and The Cool Out, mainly in terms of everything not being quite as soaked with reverb. I think The Cool Out is the best form of the song overall mix-wise, and the ideal version would've been that + Joe's vocal. Still my favorite song on the album regardless (tied with The Street Parade ;) )
Weird, new to me too. I think you are spot on. The lack of reverb makes everything feel a bit sharper. I'm not a fan of the track, but I think giving everything a dreamy, echoy sound doesn't help the repetitive structure of the song.
Yeah, totally new to me too. I'm amazed that in all my years of Clash fandom I have never came across this, considering it was an official release. Thanks to all involved for unearthing it.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I hadn’t heard of this mix until this thread… And was delighted to find a copy of the 12-inch at a NYC record shop over my little holiday last week. 😎

Also a bunch of BAD 12-inches and other goodies as well. 😎😎😎