Mohawk Revenge: Clash II Archive Project

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Mohawk Revenge: Clash II Archive Project

Post by IkarisOne »

I've started a Facebook group to gather together all known media related to Clash II.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/542323997238889

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a place for debates or criticism. Not a general Clash group in any way, shape or form. Solely 1983-1985 Clash material. No BAD, no Topper Headon.

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: Mohawk Revenge: Clash II Archive Project

Post by KCportland »

I'm in!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

IkarisOne wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 1:31am
I've started a Facebook group to gather together all known media related to Clash II.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/542323997238889

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a place for debates or criticism. Not a general Clash group in any way, shape or form. Solely 1983-1985 Clash material. No BAD, no Topper Headon.
Seems like a hole in the Clash FB groups that needed to be filled. Thanks Chris!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Cheers, Matey. Graham has done some amazing work on the subject at BMC too. But the inspiration is all Gerald and his mindblowing CTC fix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I don't have anything to contribute but I'll be joining for my own education and edification if simple hangers-on types are allowed. Cheers, CK
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Flex wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 1:21pm
I don't have anything to contribute but I'll be joining for my own education and edification if simple hangers-on types are allowed. Cheers, CK
You are most definitely welcome, my friend.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I joined and was accepted (thanks!) - I'm generally a lurker.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

gkbill wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 10:54pm
Hello,

I joined and was accepted (thanks!) - I'm generally a lurker.
You were in The Lurkers? What did you play?

Sorry, bad dad joke.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

A statement I made to the group:
I have to say something: I wish this group didn't exist. I wish it didn't have to exist. I wish "Clash II" never had to exist. I wish the original Clash had the foresight to realize how unique and timeless their pre-London Calling material was and how much of it still stands up today. I wish they realized how revolutionary and futuristic their take on punk was (not to mention their takes on reggae/funk/etc when they were playing live), and how young people would still be listening to bands influenced by them 45 years later, when only a tiny handful of diehards still listen to their 80s records (other than the hits, of course). I wish they didn't get so lost in drugs, ambition and ego. I wish they realized what an incredible chemistry and synergy they had when they were playing at full velocity - it was absolute magic, for real. But they lost their way when they started making compromises. It was inevitable they'd fall apart soon after, when bands who stuck to their guns are still around today.

But nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing - could beat the power of those four scrawny little mutts when they were firing on all cylinders at top speed and earbleed volume. That whole was far, far greater than the sum of its parts. They just didn't have the perspective to realize just how unique and revolutionary REAL Clash music really was. There was no real precedent for it.

If you know me you know how I feel about it, but I still think it needs to be said. I see The Clash as tragic heroes whose downfall was being unable to recognize their true power.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 1:05am
I have to say something: I wish this group didn't exist. I wish it didn't have to exist. I wish "Clash II" never had to exist. I wish the original Clash had the foresight to realize how unique and timeless their pre-London Calling material was and how much of it still stands up today. I wish they realized how revolutionary and futuristic their take on punk was (not to mention their takes on reggae/funk/etc when they were playing live), and how young people would still be listening to bands influenced by them 45 years later, when only a tiny handful of diehards still listen to their 80s records (other than the hits, of course). I wish they didn't get so lost in drugs, ambition and ego. I wish they realized what an incredible chemistry and synergy they had when they were playing at full velocity - it was absolute magic, for real. But they lost their way when they started making compromises. It was inevitable they'd fall apart soon after, when bands who stuck to their guns are still around today.

But nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing - could beat the power of those four scrawny little mutts when they were firing on all cylinders at top speed and earbleed volume. That whole was far, far greater than the sum of its parts. They just didn't have the perspective to realize just how unique and revolutionary REAL Clash music really was. There was no real precedent for it.

If you know me you know how I feel about it, but I still think it needs to be said. I see The Clash as tragic heroes whose downfall was being unable to recognize their true power.
The great Clash paradox. I love that period of The Clash you talk about above and yet my favourite Clash album is Sandinista!.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 5:25pm
IkarisOne wrote:

The great Clash paradox. I love that period of The Clash you talk about above and yet my favourite Clash album is Sandinista!.
That's cool. I was really into S! and CR when I was into getting high. It's weird though- I'm doing edibles now for my inflammation issues and tried listening to that stuff again and I just started feeling almost claustrophobic. It's all tension and no release. I was pretty high, mind you, but I just felt like there was this huge bag of wet sand on my chest. Then I put on From Here to Eternity and it felt awesome - liberating. I could breathe again.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

duplicated
Last edited by IkarisOne on 25 Apr 2022, 5:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 11:43am
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 5:25pm
IkarisOne wrote:

That's cool. I was really into S! and CR when I was into getting high. It's weird though- I'm doing edibles now for my inflammation issues and tried listening to that stuff again and I just started feeling almost claustrophobic. It's all tension and no release. I was pretty high, mind you, but I just felt like there was this huge bag of wet sand on my chest. Then I put on From Here to Eternity and it felt awesome - liberating. I could breathe again.
Not ever been a smoker the odd spliff with mates but not really my bag. Plenty of speed during the late 70s early 80s bit of ecstasy and charlie in the 90s. But I've never listened to The Clash stoned.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

There's been some interesting discussions regarding songwriting credits as this time. Specifically that TFIU soundtrack only credits Joe to the May 84 Pouring Rain. Apparently Lucinda contacted Nick regarding credits on it and he requested he, Vince, and Pete be co-credited with Joe. This request was ignored, presumably by CBS. Seems pretty shitty to me given how radically it was reworked by the band.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

There's been some interesting discussions regarding songwriting credits as this time. Specifically that TFIU soundtrack only credits Joe to the May 84 Pouring Rain. Apparently Lucinda contacted Nick regarding credits on it and he requested he, Vince, and Pete be co-credited with Joe. This request was ignored, presumably by CBS. Seems pretty shitty to me given how radically it was reworked by the band.
As Chris has said, putting somebody like Pete on the bench -- and his cohorts -- is like getting out your soapbox derby racer for the drag race. I've always considered it criminal that that song didn't get on, in the form that it eventually took, on that bootleg EP. Of the four songs that they played at my gig (MSU Audiorium), Pouring Rain was the one that made the biggest impression on me, one that we all went home thinking, "Wow, if they can get that over, onto a record..." Sigh. Of course, little did we know.