If and only if i wonder what you would think

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: If and only if i wonder what you would think

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 12:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 6:40am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 12:56pm
I was chatting to Heston on another thread and this scenario came to my mind and was really interested what the forum thought

No right or wrong answer to this

If Paul reformed the clash today on his own and employed 3 very competent singers and musicians that were all unknown how do you think you would take that news?
Do you think you would feel excited and think its better than nothing or think i am right up for this.

I am really interested what an opinion would be.
The thing is Hugh you are talking about putting a band back together when that band hasn't been around for 37 years.

The Stranglers on the other hand have continued and evolved with new members. With Baz Warne being a Strangler longer than Hugh Cornwell being part of the live set-up since 2001. The recent Stranglers album is excellent. So for me I'm more than happy if new members come in and are making great new music in the tradition of the original group.

With The Clash if Cut the Crap had been a solid rock n roll record then things would be viewed much differently. But it wasn't it was a failed attempt at being modern. You can argue about Bernie's input and drum machines, sequencers and so on. But If I had been in The Clash at that point and I'm really talking about Joe here then I would have said fuck off Bernie I'm not putting that out under The Clash name.
Yeah it seems unbelievable. And the opening song was dictator with out of tune horns wtf were they hell bent for the album to fail? i just cant see how those things happen if it was me at work i would be going what the fuck have you done to all my good work.
I have a theory the album was deliberately sabotaged. I'm not alone.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 1:36pm
No, thank you. Doesn't sound at all like a laugh.
'
What if you got really high first?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 2:06pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
I was chatting to Heston on another thread and this scenario came to my mind and was really interested what the forum thought

If Paul reformed the clash today on his own and employed 3 very competent singers and musicians that were all unknown how do you think you would take that news?
Do you think you would feel excited and think its better than nothing or think i am right up for this.

The thing is Hugh you are talking about putting a band back together when that band hasn't been around for 37 years.

The Stranglers on the other hand have continued and evolved with new members. With Baz Warne being a Strangler longer than Hugh Cornwell being part of the live set-up since 2001. The recent Stranglers album is excellent. So for me I'm more than happy if new members come in and are making great new music in the tradition of the original group.

With The Clash if Cut the Crap had been a solid rock n roll record then things would be viewed much differently. But it wasn't it was a failed attempt at being modern. You can argue about Bernie's input and drum machines, sequencers and so on. But If I had been in The Clash at that point and I'm really talking about Joe here then I would have said fuck off Bernie I'm not putting that out under The Clash name.
Yeah it seems unbelievable. And the opening song was dictator with out of tune horns wtf were they hell bent for the album to fail? i just cant see how those things happen if it was me at work i would be going what the fuck have you done to all my good work.
occam's razor says you are right

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 2:28pm
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

When the choice is between evil and incompetence, the smarter bet is usually incompetence.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

I suggested this before. I don't remember it going down to well.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 2:14pm
Silent Majority wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 1:36pm
No, thank you. Doesn't sound at all like a laugh.
'
What if you got really high first?
Hasn't improved reading your post.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 2:38pm
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

In all seriousness it can only be the reason surely. From day one of listening ,it did cross my mind and when ever i am in doubt about sabotage you just have to listen to the album again.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 2:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

In all seriousness it can only be the reason surely. From day one of listening ,it did cross my mind and when ever i am in doubt about sabotage you just have to listen to the album again.
Then there's the title. And the track placing of Dictator which is so bad I thought my copy was defective.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 2:54pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 2:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Then there's the title. And the track placing of Dictator which is so bad I thought my copy was defective.
I suggested Joe was not some little boy and could of easily stood up to Bernie.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 12:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Lets forget about the stranglers (maybe another day on another thread :) ) but I am pretty sure this is all about how attached and how close you are to the band. I asked this question specifically here as I wanted an expert ideas and opinions and you cant get better than this website over the topic of the clash and that’s compared to any band website I would say.

I have no doubt at all and make no mistake that if Paul had carried the clash on himself and had competent song writers for a new album and used those Havana 3am gigs to fill up the track listings with the very best and popular clash songs he would have become successful or at least created longevity for his band. Thank god he didn’t is all I can say and you can tip your hat and salute him for that. I know he did GOB live but he had every right to do that he wrote and sung it.

All the band know of the importance and total respect for the clash legacy, the clash songs, the clash fans and the other band members. If you bring in other elements into the band you change what that band represents and in to something different and you dilute that amazing legacy and history by adding inferior work.
The guys today would know if they reformed with out obviously Joe it would be worth millions to them all, but they don’t, not just in respect for Joe but for respect to the whole clash legacy. I am sure if they didn’t have that respect the reformation would have happened by now.

I asked the forum as I know the people here would care about the clash music and how it would be represented and its something that clash fans have not experienced so I was interested in the opinions

In these current times there is a vast amount of people that would go to clash gigs think of themselves as fans that wouldn’t even be able to tell you the name of the drummer. They may even get the names of Joe and Mick mixed up because they have seen Mick sing SISOSIG
What I am saying they love those songs and even if they would be aware that Joe is no longer the lead singer their attitude would be meh so what they did a fantastic version of Rock the casbah.

For me the clash music goes well beyond being just music and something that another singer could replace their legacy is a masterpiece of the highest order. With all the original members the songs can lift the hairs on the back of my neck and make me well up with emotion.

So the importance of people being that close is the same as this analogy. A great photogragher can take a masterpiece painting take a HD photo of it blow it up. Clean the blemishes and faults and make that picture look better than ever. Gold frame it with glass and put it on the wall of an art museum. He might then claim it to be better or at least as good as the original and someone like me wouldn’t care if it’s the real thing or not and enjoy it for the painting that it isn’t. But an expert Art collector would be horrified to see people enjoy it and claim it be as good.

At the end of the day the clash were always the real deal and there music should be left that way as well. What is really great is what they said - is what they did with no bull shit

The reason that this is mentioned is because it’s a very real possibility that it could have happened so many bands have and are doing this just as Inder mentioned its why its an interesting topic because we are all so lucky it didn’t happen that way for the clash. The great money spinner that this creates is the motivation for other bands don’t believe otherwise so its really a great feeling to see the clash camp stand separate from all that.

My thoughts on my own question is this. I could accept Mick and Joe as the banner of the clash and Joe on his own at a stretch but a definate no for Mick , Paul or topper on their own.

What Joe did with his solo projects regarding the clash songs was fine and respectful with integrity intact imo.
That’s just my opinion and I know shit compared to you Marky and the majority of this site.

But thank you to everyone for replying and especially to all the humour that made me laugh.
Hugh, when you say there was a "real possibility" this could have happened, i know you mean in a general sense and that is fine, but we all know in the specific case of the Clash here, there was only ever a remote chance of some form of Clash reunion while Joe was still alive and none whatsoever once he was gone. I don't know who would hate it more between Mick and Paul, my money on Paul by a whisker, but I'm pretty sure they could have had all the money on the planet chucked at them and they'd still have said massive no way and no thanks. Still a worthwhile discussion though and I just think it further underscores what you say about them being the real deal.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 2:29pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

When the choice is between evil and incompetence, the smarter bet is usually incompetence.
That's my thinking. Sabotage suggests a level of musical production competence from Bernie and co. they just didn't have.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 3:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 2:29pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

That's my thinking. Sabotage suggests a level of musical production competence from Bernie and co. they just didn't have.
Well deliberately or by accident it was definitely sabotaged.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 2:46pm
Hasn't improved reading your post.
Hard to improve on perfection, obviously
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 3:14pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 12:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Lets forget about the stranglers (maybe another day on another thread :) ) but I am pretty sure this is all about how attached and how close you are to the band. I asked this question specifically here as I wanted an expert ideas and opinions and you cant get better than this website over the topic of the clash and that’s compared to any band website I would say.

I have no doubt at all and make no mistake that if Paul had carried the clash on himself and had competent song writers for a new album and used those Havana 3am gigs to fill up the track listings with the very best and popular clash songs he would have become successful or at least created longevity for his band. Thank god he didn’t is all I can say and you can tip your hat and salute him for that. I know he did GOB live but he had every right to do that he wrote and sung it.

All the band know of the importance and total respect for the clash legacy, the clash songs, the clash fans and the other band members. If you bring in other elements into the band you change what that band represents and in to something different and you dilute that amazing legacy and history by adding inferior work.
The guys today would know if they reformed with out obviously Joe it would be worth millions to them all, but they don’t, not just in respect for Joe but for respect to the whole clash legacy. I am sure if they didn’t have that respect the reformation would have happened by now.

I asked the forum as I know the people here would care about the clash music and how it would be represented and its something that clash fans have not experienced so I was interested in the opinions

In these current times there is a vast amount of people that would go to clash gigs think of themselves as fans that wouldn’t even be able to tell you the name of the drummer. They may even get the names of Joe and Mick mixed up because they have seen Mick sing SISOSIG
What I am saying they love those songs and even if they would be aware that Joe is no longer the lead singer their attitude would be meh so what they did a fantastic version of Rock the casbah.

For me the clash music goes well beyond being just music and something that another singer could replace their legacy is a masterpiece of the highest order. With all the original members the songs can lift the hairs on the back of my neck and make me well up with emotion.

So the importance of people being that close is the same as this analogy. A great photogragher can take a masterpiece painting take a HD photo of it blow it up. Clean the blemishes and faults and make that picture look better than ever. Gold frame it with glass and put it on the wall of an art museum. He might then claim it to be better or at least as good as the original and someone like me wouldn’t care if it’s the real thing or not and enjoy it for the painting that it isn’t. But an expert Art collector would be horrified to see people enjoy it and claim it be as good.

At the end of the day the clash were always the real deal and there music should be left that way as well. What is really great is what they said - is what they did with no bull shit

The reason that this is mentioned is because it’s a very real possibility that it could have happened so many bands have and are doing this just as Inder mentioned its why its an interesting topic because we are all so lucky it didn’t happen that way for the clash. The great money spinner that this creates is the motivation for other bands don’t believe otherwise so its really a great feeling to see the clash camp stand separate from all that.

My thoughts on my own question is this. I could accept Mick and Joe as the banner of the clash and Joe on his own at a stretch but a definate no for Mick , Paul or topper on their own.

What Joe did with his solo projects regarding the clash songs was fine and respectful with integrity intact imo.
That’s just my opinion and I know shit compared to you Marky and the majority of this site.

But thank you to everyone for replying and especially to all the humour that made me laugh.
Hugh, when you say there was a "real possibility" this could have happened, i know you mean in a general sense and that is fine, but we all know in the specific case of the Clash here, there was only ever a remote chance of some form of Clash reunion while Joe was still alive and none whatsoever once he was gone. I don't know who would hate it more between Mick and Paul, my money on Paul by a whisker, but I'm pretty sure they could have had all the money on the planet chucked at them and they'd still have said massive no way and no thanks. Still a worthwhile discussion though and I just think it further underscores what you say about them being the real deal.
Yes bad wording on my behalf. But ill try and explain what i was trying to say. A "Real Possibility" in respect that in these current times all the bands are at it and more importantly the listening audiences are so accepting of it as well. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to start thinking that egos and money could take over.
What Icarisone said about the uniqueness of the singing voices of mick and Joe echoed my thoughts exactly but yeah i am with you completely and have total respect for them all for doing the right thing.