You won't believe what happened with Cut the Crap! Engineers don't want you to know this simple trick!

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

You won't believe what happened with Cut the Crap! Engineers don't want you to know this simple trick!

Post by IkarisOne »

Don't ask me how, but I tried playing Cut the Crap through the enhancement filter in Apple Music and it actually makes sense of the mix. It sounds like a real 1985 record now and not a 5 year old playing with a mixing desk. All the claustrophobic mess gets knocked back and the drums and bass and vocals go front and center. It actually sounds like there's real separation and not a hideous car wreck of overdubs. Even, dare I say it, some breathing room.

Warning: Dictator and Play to Win sound more insane and nausea-inducing than ever, though.

It probably helps that I'm playing through a 100 watt system but still. What a happy accident. Now it's like the remix version of Gerald's masterpiece.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: You won't believe what happened with Cut the Crap! Engineers don't want you to know this simple trick!

Post by matedog »

IkarisOne wrote:
13 May 2022, 8:54pm

Warning: Dictator and Play to Win sound more insane and nausea-inducing than ever, though.
That doesn’t seem possible.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: You won't believe what happened with Cut the Crap! Engineers don't want you to know this simple trick!

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
13 May 2022, 9:54pm
IkarisOne wrote:

I don't have apply music but I am... intrigued
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Flex wrote:
13 May 2022, 10:51pm
matedog wrote:
13 May 2022, 9:54pm
IkarisOne wrote:

I don't have apply music but I am... intrigued
I generally dont use it because it makes a total hash of the levels. But I guess since CTC already is a total hash it fixes it. It am Bizarro World music mixer. It are all backwards.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Any chance of capturing it CK

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I just want to offer a chef's kiss for the thread title. :cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2022, 5:30am
And don't forget to hit subscribe and mash that 'like' button.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

This lays it out pretty simply. In essence Cut the Crap sounds so unpleasant because everything is jammed up at the center of the mix. Enhancement breaks up the signal and pans it out.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/stere ... re-better/

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

white man wrote:
14 May 2022, 2:55am
What exactly do you mean by capturing, Whitemanny?

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2022, 5:30am
:mrgreen:

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

IkarisOne wrote:
Don't ask me how, but I tried playing Cut the Crap through the enhancement filter in Apple Music and it actually makes sense of the mix. It sounds like a real 1985 record now and not a 5 year old playing with a mixing desk. All the claustrophobic mess gets knocked back and the drums and bass and vocals go front and center. It actually sounds like there's real separation and not a hideous car wreck of overdubs. Even, dare I say it, some breathing room.

It probably helps that I'm playing through a 100 watt system but still. What a happy accident. Now it's like the remix version of Gerald's masterpiece.
So Bernie was so ahead of his time that he created music to be played on yet to be invented software. He is a genius after all! ;)

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

laxman wrote:
14 May 2022, 10:05am
IkarisOne wrote:

So Bernie was so ahead of his time that he created music to be played on yet to be invented software. He is a genius after all! ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

IkarisOne wrote:
14 May 2022, 8:49am
white man wrote:

Recording whatever you're outputting

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

white man wrote:
14 May 2022, 3:20pm
IkarisOne wrote:
14 May 2022, 8:49am
white man wrote:

Recording whatever you're outputting
What do you suggest? Recording it with a phone is just going to recompress it and cancel out the effect. Any suggestions?

Also, use the "vocal booster" setting in options.