God Tier GEER version

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: God Tier GEER version

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 6:12pm
If it's insanity to love Lover's Rock, then prepare my straitjacket kind sir.
We're gonna pump you so full of thorazine that we won't need to straitjacket you. LC's one seriously duff track.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 6:29pm
I don't care how many times I hear London Calling (the song), it is an all time world beater. Just perfect. And they did play it well live sometimes.
You and me both. My favourite Clash song, those first 15 seconds or so still produce shivers. Epic without being that forced U2 epic.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 6:48pm
Heston wrote:
I don't care how many times I hear London Calling (the song), it is an all time world beater. Just perfect. And they did play it well live sometimes.
You and me both. My favourite Clash song, those first 15 seconds or so still produce shivers. Epic without being that forced U2 epic.
Your both right of course and i remember feeling exactly the same way many years ago. If i was to do a recording for someone new to the clash i would have to include it but for me it gets skipped now if i play the album. I am being serious when i say there was a time i was playing LC album 5 times a day at least i was really obsessed with that album.

I stand by what i say about the Live version though that version of the song just plods and everything that sounds great in the studio version is lost and disappointing and badly translated when you listen to it live.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 6:47pm
Low Down Low wrote:
We're gonna pump you so full of thorazine that we won't need to straitjacket you. LC's one seriously duff track.
Lyrically and thematically a bit naff for sure, but the instrumentation makes up for it for me. Some of Mick's work on it is sublime.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 7:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Your both right of course and i remember feeling exactly the same way many years ago. If i was to do a recording for someone new to the clash i would have to include it but for me it gets skipped now if i play the album. I am being serious when i say there was a time i was playing LC album 5 times a day at least i was really obsessed with that album.

I stand by what i say about the Live version though that version of the song just plods and everything that sounds great in the studio version is lost and disappointing and badly translated when you listen to it live.
Man, i thought I loved LC but that is some devotion right there! I've never tired of it even after all these years, but I do tend to ration it so I'd never play it straight through more than once every couple of months or so. And i tend to agree on the title track, just never did acquire the sheer force of the studio track live, which was odd as it's usually the other way around, i find.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 7:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Thorazine in bed #4!
This is true. It loses its spark and urgency live.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Lyrically and thematically a bit naff for sure, but the instrumentation makes up for it for me. Some of Mick's work on it is sublime.
Ssh ssh ssh, stop struggling, let the medication do its work.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 7:36pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 7:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
See, all your anxieties are giving way to the bliss of numb nothingness.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

For me, London Calling (the album) is an entirety, songs 1 through 19. I do not like to take select tracks from that and listen to it, I need all 19, one after the other, in order. I like Lover's Rock, its not their best song ever but in the context of the album as a whole, it fits. The variety of that album is a strong factor in its appeal to me as well. Taken as a whole, I wouldn't change a thing. Coming after Rope makes it even more impressive to me since it kind of merged some aspects of the first album and the second album which made this incredible and quite varied third album.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 8:35pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

So i gave it a listen again last night in my drug induced stupor and noticed some nifty Topper percussion I hadn't copped before, likely cos I'm always fixated on Mick during that song. As a consequence, I'm now contemplating moving it up a place on my LC ranking list to 17. Might up the dosage tonight and see can we push it up further!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Get tired of hearing London Calling never. Would be like getting tired of living. Life affirming song. Awesome.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

(gulp)
I'm with Tom here, or at least I was, when LC was released.
I loved Rope, every track, I played it a lot and found LC just a bit too... I dunno, long and sprawling and ambitious! Yeah, the very things it's now respected for. Many dynamite tracks to be sure (and yes, Four Horsemen was a fave right from the start) but I taped selections from it from friends' copies rather than buy it and settled with that for ages. (I did buy the double album eventually off a mate)
And of course, Sandinista just had the same effect on me, x10!
In time everything the band recorded just gets smeared together into one long audio journey, and now I love everything about every album, and wouldn't alter one thing about them all. But at the time, some of their releases were a bit tough to digest. Whereas Rope, to me, was never a stop-gap / stepping stone album with some patchy filler, it was a bona fide classic LP!
My name's John, and I'm a Rope-a-holic :mrgreen:
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 2:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

So i gave it a listen again last night in my drug induced stupor and noticed some nifty Topper percussion I hadn't copped before, likely cos I'm always fixated on Mick during that song. As a consequence, I'm now contemplating moving it up a place on my LC ranking list to 17. Might up the dosage tonight and see can we push it up further!
I've rarely encountered a patient with such a debilitating case of loversrockia. Up the dosage again—better the patient end up a vegetable than a prisoner of this illness.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 6:28am
Low Down Low wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 2:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've rarely encountered a patient with such a debilitating case of loversrockia. Up the dosage again—better the patient end up a vegetable than a prisoner of this illness.
Nobody messes with Nurse Ratchett and stays compos mentis long enough to tell the tale.