God Tier GEER version

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: God Tier GEER version

Post by Heston »

LC simply has too many top tier songs compared to GEER. It leaves it trailing in the dust. As does Sandinista.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 12:55am
LC simply has too many top tier songs compared to GEER. It leaves it trailing in the dust. As does Sandinista.
Wise words.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 12:55am
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Also, I love how Sandinista seems to be the low key album everyone enjoys and doesn’t get a lot of hate. We never really argue it here compared to GEER, LC, and CR.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 8:39am
Also, I love how Sandinista seems to be the low key album everyone enjoys and doesn’t get a lot of hate. We never really argue it here compared to GEER, LC, and CR.
I think most people respect the effort even if there are varying opinions on how much actually works (I think a lot of it works, myself). The closest to "hate" I suppose would be those occasional exercises to trim it down to a single or double lp.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I always think with S! two thirds of it, by any objective measure, ranges from the pretty good to excellent while the other third ranges from the iffy to the downright awful and it tended to get judged, by rock critics especially, more on the latter basis. Maybe that's fair enough, but if they actually had released it as a double, or a mere kick ass single, i wonder how different the conversations would have been.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sandinista! just keeps on giving. So many great ideas and a few that miss. But the by sheer size and scope of Sandinista! it knocks GEER as a listening experience for six.

GEER is a good album but it's ten tracks and it's pretty much wham bam blam! and over. Sandinista! is never over.😏

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

In my heart of hearts of course i know London Calling is the better album but i have played LC to death since i was 15 and i just don't listen to the album anymore so if i wanted to put one of them two on right now i would choose Give em enough rope with out a doubt.

I might be the only one to admit this but London Calling the single just bores me senseless now and that's coming from someone that would quote LC as my fav clash track many years ago. While i am at it London calling track live is just awful.

Now Sandinista well that is a lifetime album for sure i was about 15 when i first heard this and i really didnt know what to make of it and found it very confusing. Tracks like police on my back , mag 7 and somebody got murdered were instant likes and it took a while before kingston advice, broadway etc showed there worth then the rest followed after.

I think both GEER and LC are great albums and are appropriate for what mood you are in at the time and thats whats so beautiful about the clash songs the diversity and originality always lives forever in all 5 of them albums.

Give it 2 years time and i will be posting here probably how i have forgotten how fantastic London Calling is just like i did about Combat rock in another thread.

I agree totally with Marky comments about the two albums but to echo what i just said sometimes i want to savour an album like Sandinista and other times i want the crash bang wallop and its over album like GEER.

But to conclude what a fantastic band and when you look at those 5 albums each are just perfect in every detail and i wouldn't want to change or choose one over the other they all offer something different, but all in there own right are faultless

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 10:36am
Sandinista! is never over.😏
I like that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

The only tracks I could justify cutting from S! anymore are
Mensforth
Silicone
Career Opportunities
MAYBE Version Pardner

Hes will balk at not including Junkie Slip here but you gotta have some craziness on the back end.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Junkie Slip is a song I'd never choose to put on but if it comes on I'll have a good groove to it.

I love S! But GEER tops both it and LC for me. It's just more consistent. Plus it doesn't have Lover's Rock anr d Four Horsemen on it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 4:47pm
Junkie Slip is a song I'd never choose to put on but if it comes on I'll have a good groove to it.

I love S! But GEER tops both it and LC for me. It's just more consistent. Plus it doesn't have Lover's Rock anr d Four Horsemen on it.
Four Horsemen is a killer track. Come on Tom sort it out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's comforting whenever an honest-to-goodness Clash discussion breaks out to remind each other that there are a lot of insane people here.*

* Note: There is no consensus on who is insane. Usually Heston, but not this time.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

If it's insanity to love Lover's Rock, then prepare my straitjacket kind sir.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I don't care how many times I hear London Calling (the song), it is an all time world beater. Just perfect. And they did play it well live sometimes.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board