God Tier GEER version

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: God Tier GEER version

Post by Marky Dread »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 9:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 6:49pm
My take on GEER is there is too much Mick going on.

On the first album Mick can be heard in the left and right channels with these brilliant little riffs complementing each other.

On GEER Mick can be heard in the left, right channels and also in the centre of the mix. All three areas playing different things. Plus I guess some of Joe's scratchy rhythm is in there It's simply over kill. It doesn't add to the albums power it creates a claustrophobic sound leaving little breathing space.

Add to this Pearlman originally mixing Joe lower in the mix then you get more guitar. And another thing Pearlman loved Topper's playing which is beyond doubt excellent but Topper is also mixed too loud in the mix on most tracks.
Would it in theory be possible to mix the instruments differently with the software you use? Place them more specifically in the stereo spectrum and change their levels? It sounds far fetched with how thrown together everything is (like they were sharing the one mic haha).
You can do that but it would require removing some guitar from the nix. It's easy to push Joe up higher in the mix. But Sound System already has Joe slightly higher in the mix. Sound System is the best sounding version of GEER released. I have several copies Japanese versions etc.

I might play around with it again. But I'm busy on other projects at the moment.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 4:46am
Mark^Bastard wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

On the first album Mick can be heard in the left and right channels with these brilliant little riffs complementing each other.

On GEER Mick can be heard in the left, right channels and also in the centre of the mix. All three areas playing different things. Plus I guess some of Joe's scratchy rhythm is in there It's simply over kill. It doesn't add to the albums power it creates a claustrophobic sound leaving little breathing space.

Add to this Pearlman originally mixing Joe lower in the mix then you get more guitar. And another thing Pearlman loved Topper's playing which is beyond doubt excellent but Topper is also mixed too loud in the mix on most tracks.
Would it in theory be possible to mix the instruments differently with the software you use? Place them more specifically in the stereo spectrum and change their levels? It sounds far fetched with how thrown together everything is (like they were sharing the one mic haha).
You can do that but it would require removing some guitar from the nix. It's easy to push Joe up higher in the mix. But Sound System already has Joe slightly higher in the mix. Sound System is the best sounding version of GEER released. I have several copies Japanese versions etc.

I might play around with it again. But I'm busy on other projects at the moment.
I think GEER benefitted the most from the SS remaster.
The difference compared to my old Cd ist huge.
Still my least favourite Clash album

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

chocolatejesus wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 7:22am
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 4:46am
Mark^Bastard wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I think GEER benefitted the most from the SS remaster.
The difference compared to my old Cd ist huge.
Still my least favourite Clash album
I agree.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia