God Tier GEER version

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Re: God Tier GEER version

Post by IkarisOne »

Nice sentiment, but Give 'Em Enough Rope needs no augmentation to be perfect and smash London Calling to pub rock splinters.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

"Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad" is closer to Pub Rock than anything on London Calling.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Glad we are still getting mileage out of the London Calling/GEER debate.

The problem I see with this tracklist is a bunch of these songs were recorded a year to a year and a half apart. I think Marky noted the COL tracks were recorded more or less equidistant to LC and GEER. You are spanning August 77 to January 79. You still have Joe doing his dopey 77 voice on CC and City of the Dead too, so there's not even that much stylistic consistency.

As much as I want to replace the many, many weak tracks on GEER with the great tracks that preceded it, I'd probably just keep to the 78 tracks which would still be pretty good.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 6:56pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 6:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 6:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 6:24pm
Could you not also have a God tier LC version including the CoL tracks and Bankrobber?
Bankrobber belongs with Sandinista!
Yeah, of course. And I don't actually think CoL does either fwiw.
The CoL EP was partially started at the automat with Sandy Pearlman. But what we know and love was recorded with Bill Price at Wessex and I personally feel the style of those tracks are better suited to LC.
I can see that alright, though it's always felt simply as a bridge between the two albums for me, between 2 brilliant but distinct phases of the band's life, so I tend to view it as its own self contained entity, belonging to neither one place or the other.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 12:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 6:24pm
Could you not also have a God tier LC version including the CoL tracks and Bankrobber?
The CoL EP was partially started at the automat with Sandy Pearlman. But what we know and love was recorded with Bill Price at Wessex and I personally feel the style of those tracks are better suited to LC.
I can see that alright, though it's always felt simply as a bridge between the two albums for me, between 2 brilliant but distinct phases of the band's life, so I tend to view it as its own self contained entity, belonging to neither one place or the other.
Low Down Low enjoying life sitting on the fence. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

ZoroasterTheCat wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 11:01am
Is as follows:

Safe European Home
Complete Control
English Civil War
Tommy Gun
White Man In Hammersmith Palais
I fought the Law
Pressure Drop
Gates of the West
Capital Radio
Groovy Times
Guns on the Roof
Stay Free
Cheapskates
All the Young Punks

Arguably better than London Calling. Sorry.
Drug Stabbing Time better than 3 of these 4, and so much better than Cheapskates its embarrassing.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 1:15pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It's a nice padded one, too, to protect from nasty splinters, where I can sit back and listen to LC through my earphones, the album that beats every other album the Clash made hands down and damn near any album ever made by any other band too. Otherwise, I'm staying clear of it!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 12:18pm

The problem I see with this tracklist is a bunch of these songs were recorded a year to a year and a half apart. I think Marky noted the COL tracks were recorded more or less equidistant to LC and GEER. You are spanning August 77 to January 79. You still have Joe doing his dopey 77 voice on CC and City of the Dead too, so there's not even that much stylistic consistency.

As much as I want to replace the many, many weak tracks on GEER with the great tracks that preceded it, I'd probably just keep to the 78 tracks which would still be pretty good.
I continue to grant you proxy for Clash-related matters.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 2:11pm
matedog wrote:

Did you like the "many, many weak tracks on GEER" line?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 2:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

It's like you were winking at me. :approve:

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 2:22pm
matedog wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 2:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

It's like you were winking at me. :approve:
:kiss:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

:hmm: :hmm:
You still have Joe doing his dopey 77 voice on CC and City of the Dead too
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

:hmm: :hmm:
You still have Joe doing his dopey 77 voice on CC and City of the Dead too
I stand with Hoy. :ugeek:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 1:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 1:15pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

It's a nice padded one, too, to protect from nasty splinters, where I can sit back and listen to LC through my earphones, the album that beats every other album the Clash made hands down and damn near any album ever made by any other band too. Otherwise, I'm staying clear of it!
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I like GEER very much, its a good listen.
I love London Calling.
2 very different records, each one an expansion to what they had previously done.
I would probably see them differently if LC had come before GEER. To me, they both have their place in the canon and while i'd certainly change a few things of each one, they are both worthy as they are.
I admit I do not listen to GEER very often these days, I do listen to LC a lot.
I would take a few songs from GEER in a playlist whereas I would put the entirety of LC on a playlist.
I listen to Black Market Clash more than any of their other records, what does that mean?
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope