God Tier GEER version

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: God Tier GEER version

Post by Low Down Low »

Rached even :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 7:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 6:28am
Low Down Low wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 2:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 8:35pm
Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 7:56pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:
See, all your anxieties are giving way to the bliss of numb nothingness.
So i gave it a listen again last night in my drug induced stupor and noticed some nifty Topper percussion I hadn't copped before, likely cos I'm always fixated on Mick during that song. As a consequence, I'm now contemplating moving it up a place on my LC ranking list to 17. Might up the dosage tonight and see can we push it up further!
I've rarely encountered a patient with such a debilitating case of loversrockia. Up the dosage again—better the patient end up a vegetable than a prisoner of this illness.
Nobody messes with Nurse Ratchett and stays compos mentis long enough to tell the tale.
The tragic thing is that this was avoidable. Ever since the cd, skipping these songs is very, very easy!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 7:34am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 8:35pm

See, all your anxieties are giving way to the bliss of numb nothingness.
So i gave it a listen again last night in my drug induced stupor and noticed some nifty Topper percussion I hadn't copped before, likely cos I'm always fixated on Mick during that song. As a consequence, I'm now contemplating moving it up a place on my LC ranking list to 17. Might up the dosage tonight and see can we push it up further!
I've rarely encountered a patient with such a debilitating case of loversrockia. Up the dosage again—better the patient end up a vegetable than a prisoner of this illness.
Nobody messes with Nurse Ratchett and stays compos mentis long enough to tell the tale.
The tragic thing is that this was avoidable. Ever since the cd, skipping these songs is very, very easy!
Too easy for the faint hearted. I don't even skip Mensforth Hill when I listen to S! straight through. It's all the way or none of the way. Like climbing 29,000 feet up Mt Everest and getting a piggy back the rest of the way. Moral of the story: you can't summit LC without climbing Lover's Rock!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 8:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Too easy for the faint hearted. I don't even skip Mensforth Hill when I listen to S! straight through. It's all the way or none of the way. Like climbing 29,000 feet up Mt Everest and getting a piggy back the rest of the way. Moral of the story: you can't summit LC without climbing Lover's Rock!
:lol: Insane but :lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 8:17am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Probably merits a few volts through the cranium alright, but seems to me everybody here has their edgy clash opinion, whether it's GEER being the best album or clash 2 being better live or Junco Partner not being utterly brilliant or whatever, really good edgy stuff, so I figured I'd have to come up with one of my own and while I could probably have chosen more wisely, seems I've nailed my colours to the Lover's Rock train and gonna have to roll with it!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 8:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Probably merits a few volts through the cranium alright, but seems to me everybody here has their edgy clash opinion, whether it's GEER being the best album or clash 2 being better live or Junco Partner not being utterly brilliant or whatever, really good edgy stuff, so I figured I'd have to come up with one of my own and while I could probably have chosen more wisely, seems I've nailed my colours to the Lover's Rock train and gonna have to roll with it!
People die on the strangest Clash hills …

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 5:11am
(gulp)
I'm with Tom here, or at least I was, when LC was released.
I loved Rope, every track, I played it a lot and found LC just a bit too... I dunno, long and sprawling and ambitious! Yeah, the very things it's now respected for. Many dynamite tracks to be sure (and yes, Four Horsemen was a fave right from the start) but I taped selections from it from friends' copies rather than buy it and settled with that for ages. (I did buy the double album eventually off a mate)
And of course, Sandinista just had the same effect on me, x10!
In time everything the band recorded just gets smeared together into one long audio journey, and now I love everything about every album, and wouldn't alter one thing about them all. But at the time, some of their releases were a bit tough to digest. Whereas Rope, to me, was never a stop-gap / stepping stone album with some patchy filler, it was a bona fide classic LP!
My name's John, and I'm a Rope-a-holic :mrgreen:
Sorry to hear of your current illness mate. Hope you feel better soon.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 8:42am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, it was either that or the total unalloyed awesomeness of Sandinista! side 6

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 9:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Yeah, it was either that or the total unalloyed awesomeness of Sandinista! side 6
O but such a thick and fetid graveyard marked S! side 6, the glazed eyes beseeching the heavens for a side 7.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 9:37am
Low Down Low wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 9:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

O but such a thick and fetid graveyard marked S! side 6, the glazed eyes beseeching the heavens for a side 7.
Ha! That is exactly it. Beautifully put, almost Shakespearean!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 6:47pm
Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 6:12pm
If it's insanity to love Lover's Rock, then prepare my straitjacket kind sir.
We're gonna pump you so full of thorazine that we won't need to straitjacket you. LC's one seriously duff track.
The outro is cool.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 6:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 6:47pm
Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 6:12pm
If it's insanity to love Lover's Rock, then prepare my straitjacket kind sir.
We're gonna pump you so full of thorazine that we won't need to straitjacket you. LC's one seriously duff track.
The outro is cool.
I'm thinking you're just trying to score some thorazine from me. :hmm:

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

I've listened to GEER a few times 'critically' in the last months to try and work out exactly what I don't like about it. With Rat Patrol now available at an acceptable quality that shows the original vision, and with Cut the Crap not existing in my mind, GEER is the remaining 'compromised' album.

I've come to the conclusion that the songs are all actually good. The problem is that they're needlessly long so there's only 10 of them, and the material between the debut and London Calling has a lot of strong stuff that could have made it a better 14 track album (still single LP).

But the thing that actually ruins it for me is the production. Using Sound System HD (24bit/96khz) and listening to the first 3 albums, it really stands out as incredibly poor production / recording. A few points:
1 - The mix is just bad. Everything is constrained. London Calling sounds amazing in comparison.
2 - The recording is clinical like there were too many takes and the band were a little over it. It sounds a little beaten to death.
3 - There are some specifically poor things that I can easily identify but can't explain because I'm not a recording engineer. The first 5 seconds of Safe European Home sounds like it's clipped or something. It just sounds REALLY bad to me and has in all copies I have heard. I must remember to listen to a clean vinyl I have using headphones to verify it's still there. I think also the guitar tone just isn't to my liking. Maybe that's even the problem I'm hearing in SEH.

It'd be interesting to try to remix it, cut the guitars, increase the bass and Joe's vocals, increase the dynamic range and stereo separation and see if it helps any. Bit of a stab in the dark for me.

A 14 track with LC production, more acoustic guitar bits (like the intro to Capital Radio 2), maybe one ska/reggae track would make it perfect IMO.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 11:59pm
I've listened to GEER a few times 'critically' in the last months to try and work out exactly what I don't like about it. With Rat Patrol now available at an acceptable quality that shows the original vision, and with Cut the Crap not existing in my mind, GEER is the remaining 'compromised' album.

I've come to the conclusion that the songs are all actually good. The problem is that they're needlessly long so there's only 10 of them, and the material between the debut and London Calling has a lot of strong stuff that could have made it a better 14 track album (still single LP).

But the thing that actually ruins it for me is the production. Using Sound System HD (24bit/96khz) and listening to the first 3 albums, it really stands out as incredibly poor production / recording. A few points:
1 - The mix is just bad. Everything is constrained. London Calling sounds amazing in comparison.
2 - The recording is clinical like there were too many takes and the band were a little over it. It sounds a little beaten to death.
3 - There are some specifically poor things that I can easily identify but can't explain because I'm not a recording engineer. The first 5 seconds of Safe European Home sounds like it's clipped or something. It just sounds REALLY bad to me and has in all copies I have heard. I must remember to listen to a clean vinyl I have using headphones to verify it's still there. I think also the guitar tone just isn't to my liking. Maybe that's even the problem I'm hearing in SEH.

It'd be interesting to try to remix it, cut the guitars, increase the bass and Joe's vocals, increase the dynamic range and stereo separation and see if it helps any. Bit of a stab in the dark for me.

A 14 track with LC production, more acoustic guitar bits (like the intro to Capital Radio 2), maybe one ska/reggae track would make it perfect IMO.
I agree with that. The mix on GEER feels claustrophobic. The tracks are too bombastic. Some people love that and feel it's a punk rock sound. But I don't think GEER is punk sounding. The sound is too heavy and it clearly tries to compete with Never Mind The Bollocks. But Steve Jones wall of sound works because Rotten's vocals cut through brilliantly like a razor blade. On GEER Pearlman shamefully disliked Joe's voice so lowered him in the mix. This was rectified on Sound System.

There are not as many guitar overdubs on GEER as have been previously mentioned. The mix has very little breathing space. The songs are great though. The only track that fails for me is "Cheapskates" and that's because lyrically it's weak.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I like the Clash.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"