Would/Should/Could The Clash headline Glastonbury?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Would/Should/Could The Clash headline Glastonbury?

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 6:28am
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 5:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 9:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 9:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 9:18am

How much would it cost to get him an OBE? :shifty:
Seems to be somewhere in the £1-1.5m bracket though i think the below example is for an mbe so you might have to add a further 50% for the obe or thereabouts.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ar-honours
Shit, sorry, Marky, we’ll have to be budget conscious and go for the MBE. Bake sale time, folks!
Marky Dread PUN.
Pop Urban Ninja?
Psychotic Underwhelmed Negative.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 12:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Seems to be somewhere in the £1-1.5m bracket though i think the below example is for an mbe so you might have to add a further 50% for the obe or thereabouts.

Shit, sorry, Marky, we’ll have to be budget conscious and go for the MBE. Bake sale time, folks!
Marky Dread PUN.
Pop Urban Ninja?
Plowed Under Narcoleptic
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 1:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Marky Dread PUN.
Pop Urban Ninja?
Plowed Under Narcoleptic
Pistol Unimpressed Nerd

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 2:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 1:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Marky Dread PUN.
Pop Urban Ninja?
Plowed Under Narcoleptic
Pistol Unimpressed Nerd
There we go! :cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

I remember many years ago hearing "rumours" about Tim Armstrong (Rancid) playing some gigs with Topper,MIck and Paul... although I never saw any Clash member in any guise I'm also kind of glad that never happened.

I would definitely pay to see Topper, Mick and Paul do something together, just not replacing Joe. Just do the songs he didn't have lead vocal on. That would also keep it aimed at actual fans as the "Glasto darlings" probably wouldn't care with out casbah/London calling etc...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 6:16am
I remember many years ago hearing "rumours" about Tim Armstrong (Rancid) playing some gigs with Topper,MIck and Paul... although I never saw any Clash member in any guise I'm also kind of glad that never happened.

I would definitely pay to see Topper, Mick and Paul do something together, just not replacing Joe. Just do the songs he didn't have lead vocal on. That would also keep it aimed at actual fans as the "Glasto darlings" probably wouldn't care with out casbah/London calling etc...
The thing with Tim Armstrong was an April fools joke if I remember.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 6:22am
motorsmell wrote:

The thing with Tim Armstrong was an April fools joke if I remember.

Ah, makes sense now, was before I had any tinternet so would only hear it at gigs/ Holidays in the sun etc

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

motorsmell wrote:

I also have never seen them and would also pay to do so. Doesn’t even have to be Clash songs honestly, I’d be excited to see them (especially Mick) play anything. But agree on the Joe front- I’d still go but don’t love the idea of a replacement.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I thought the addition of Mick and Paul to the Gorillaz was pretty exciting at the time. Unfortunately they only do (I think) a couple tracks on that album and it's not one of the band's best. For me the most exciting and least offensive idea would be the addition of Mick and Topper to a GBQ-type thing now that Tony's gone. Mick and Simon can double-team the guitars, and they would play only original tunes.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I may have suggested something like this before, but I think "An Evening of Words and Music with Mick, Paul and Topper" type of thing would be both tasteful and great. Spend most of the evening swapping stories and such and intersperse it with a few (acoustic?) tracks here and there, all stripped down and intimate-like. It would be a "reunion" but there'd be no pretense of trying to recreate a Clash live concert or the need to get fill-ins or anything.

You'd probably need venues that match the level of interest, but if such things weren't considerations you'd almost rather have this type of event at a bookstore or cafe or something rather than a concert venue to really get the feel.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The three remaining guys should do a brand new project. And leave The Clash where it is.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 4:10pm
The three remaining guys should do a brand new project. And leave The Clash where it is.
I agree, I'm sure there would be a very high demand for tickets for anything they chose to put together and take on the road.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 11:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 10:52am
Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 10:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

You'll not be at all surprised to learn that Boris Johnson is a huge lifelong clash fan so I'd fancy some class of discount could be arranged.
I’d bet a year’s worth of Olaf’s stickenflavourbars that he can’t name even one non-single.
I'd up the ante and say 2 years worth of Olafs stickenflavourbars to name 2 actual singles.
Wait a minute, I only just read that... And I'd been wondering where all my stickenflavourbars had gone! :angry:
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 9:01am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You'll not be at all surprised to learn that Boris Johnson is a huge lifelong clash fan so I'd fancy some class of discount could be arranged.
I’d bet a year’s worth of Olaf’s stickenflavourbars that he can’t name even one non-single.
I'd up the ante and say 2 years worth of Olafs stickenflavourbars to name 2 actual singles.
Wait a minute, I only just read that... And I'd been wondering where all my stickenflavourbars had gone! :angry:
What's the 48-letter word for "You snooze, you lose"?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 9:23am
Olaf wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 9:01am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

What's the 48-letter word for "You snooze, you lose"?
It's "IgavesomeBavarianfootballhooligansyouraddress."

I told them you spat in everyone's beer at the Oktoberfest.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?