Would/Should/Could The Clash headline Glastonbury?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Would/Should/Could The Clash headline Glastonbury?

Post by laxman »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 12:00pm
I was only half joking when i said Johnson was, or claims to be, a huge clash fan. I dimly recall the fucker bragging once about Joe sending him a letter when he was employed by the Daily Telegraph and another typically hilarious story about him punching his sister in the face during an argument over the clash. But, yeah, every band has fans who are 24 carat cunts.
Can someone turn this the right way up, please?
2004 October - Esquire - Boris Johnson Sandinista.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

laxman wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 5:34pm
Low Down Low wrote:
I was only half joking when i said Johnson was, or claims to be, a huge clash fan. I dimly recall the fucker bragging once about Joe sending him a letter when he was employed by the Daily Telegraph and another typically hilarious story about him punching his sister in the face during an argument over the clash. But, yeah, every band has fans who are 24 carat cunts.

Double-clicking the image properly orients it. And I'm calling bullshit that Joe both loved BJ's articles and so much that he wrote him to say so.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 5:42pm
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Double-clicking the image properly orients it. And I'm calling bullshit that Joe both loved BJ's articles and so much that he wrote him to say so.
I recall Joe saying once that he did regularly read the Daily Telegraph which I took to mean he was interested in reading right wing viewpoints and the Telegraph wasn't actually a terrible newspaper back them, for all it employed a lying toe rag like Johnson. And this was sometime back in the 90s, so Johnson's extreme odiousness might not have been yet apparent and he did sometimes espouse liberal views that Joe would have agreed with. The article in question was to do with banning fox hunting, I think, a subject that country Joe may well have developed an interest in. I mean, I'd prefer it to be a big fat whopping lie, but it is quite plausible at the same time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 6:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 5:42pm
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I recall Joe saying once that he did regularly read the Daily Telegraph which I took to mean he was interested in reading right wing viewpoints and the Telegraph wasn't actually a terrible newspaper back them, for all it employed a lying toe rag like Johnson. And this was sometime back in the 90s, so Johnson's extreme odiousness might not have been yet apparent and he did sometimes espouse liberal views that Joe would have agreed with. The article in question was to do with banning fox hunting, I think, a subject that country Joe may well have developed an interest in. I mean, I'd prefer it to be a big fat whopping lie, but it is quite plausible at the same time.
Okay, thanks for the context. It's plausible. Unfortunately.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Like so many topics here, this one cropped up before. I was thinking I'd no recollection of this and then realised it was in one of the forums I hardly ever check here. Sorry Mick!

https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 0&start=75

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 6:33pm
Like so many topics here, this one cropped up before. I was thinking I'd no recollection of this and then realised it was in one of the forums I hardly ever check here. Sorry Mick!

Oh god, that was the thread where the Angry Marky kept calling me Boris. Joe never wrote me, tho. :disshame:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 8:10pm
Low Down Low wrote:

Oh god, that was the thread where the Angry Marky kept calling me Boris. Joe never wrote me, tho. :disshame:
Jesus, I'd only read the first few posts when i linked it! Johnson is some man to sow chaos and disharmony wherever he goes, his one true talent.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 5:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 8:10pm
Low Down Low wrote:

Jesus, I'd only read the first few posts when i linked it! Johnson is some man to sow chaos and disharmony wherever he goes, his one true talent.
AngryMarky gets mad about a lot of stuff though.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I had mentioned the McCartney duetting with a film a while back, if the Clash would try something like that i'd be down to watch/listen, but do I think they should, absolutely not. Its OK for McCartney to do that, he's earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants musically and professionally.
The Clash with a different singer not named Mick, it would be like "Queen with Adam Lambert". Sure its fine if people like that, but it isn't Queen no matter how badly people want to think it is.
I am content with my memories of shows seen and the music they created during their time together. I wish Joe was still alive, I wish John Lennon and George Harrison were still alive, I wish Freddy Mercury was still alive (not saddened that Meat Loaf is dead though) but that's the thing, "you can't go home again" and while I hate cliches, that one is certainly true. I have my memories and the music and that will have to suffice. I am glad I was alive during their time so I could have the memories I have, and was able to enjoy the music in the time frame it was released.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

weller259 wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 5:13pm
I had mentioned the McCartney duetting with a film a while back, if the Clash would try something like that i'd be down to watch/listen, but do I think they should, absolutely not. Its OK for McCartney to do that, he's earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants musically and professionally.
The Clash with a different singer not named Mick, it would be like "Queen with Adam Lambert". Sure its fine if people like that, but it isn't Queen no matter how badly people want to think it is.
I am content with my memories of shows seen and the music they created during their time together. I wish Joe was still alive, I wish John Lennon and George Harrison were still alive, I wish Freddy Mercury was still alive (not saddened that Meat Loaf is dead though) but that's the thing, "you can't go home again" and while I hate cliches, that one is certainly true. I have my memories and the music and that will have to suffice. I am glad I was alive during their time so I could have the memories I have, and was able to enjoy the music in the time frame it was released.
Hello,

Yes - the bolded text. I feel bad for young people - they missed those experiences. They have theirs and I don't share theirs - but I'll bet they'd trade theirs for mine (said the old guy).

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

weller259 wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 5:13pm
Well said and .......
...at the end of the day the only singers that join already established bands are those that know they wont ever amount to anything in their own right they will ride on the backs or others members achievements and successes to elevate their own careers.Its a modern mystery to me why the audiences are so easily accepting of it all . For me i always will only settle for the genuine article.

The real talented singers wont ever join other bands as they dont need to they have already proved their worth enough. The only way i think it might be ok is if someone replaces Joe as a loving memory of him as a tribute and not trying to fake them selves off as the clash.

One of the greatest things about the late 70s was the originality of the voices of the singers in the bands that made the music so unique and original and to think of Joe being replaced vocally as the clash would make my piss boil.

I think we can all be thankful that the remaining clash members know this and they would never ever even try and replace Joe in any format leaving a faultless legacy of music not to be soiled just to line pockets. God bless them.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I changed my VPN to an Australian IP address and that worked for me :mrgreen:

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 5:45pm
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I changed my VPN to an Australian IP address and that worked for me :mrgreen:
Ha ha, good thinking!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 9:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 9:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 9:18am
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 9:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 7:23am

Turn Marky loose on their archives. I'm serious here. He's got skill plus he operates out of love of the music, not ego.
I'd get right behind that but he probably hasn't got the right letters after his name.
How much would it cost to get him an OBE? :shifty:
Seems to be somewhere in the £1-1.5m bracket though i think the below example is for an mbe so you might have to add a further 50% for the obe or thereabouts.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ar-honours
Shit, sorry, Marky, we’ll have to be budget conscious and go for the MBE. Bake sale time, folks!
Marky Dread PUN.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 5:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 9:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 9:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 9:18am
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 9:04am

I'd get right behind that but he probably hasn't got the right letters after his name.
How much would it cost to get him an OBE? :shifty:
Seems to be somewhere in the £1-1.5m bracket though i think the below example is for an mbe so you might have to add a further 50% for the obe or thereabouts.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ar-honours
Shit, sorry, Marky, we’ll have to be budget conscious and go for the MBE. Bake sale time, folks!
Marky Dread PUN.
Pop Urban Ninja?