Topper with the Moors Murderers

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Topper with the Moors Murderers

Post by Low Down Low »

I think maybe there's a small window in early Jan 78 where Topper might somehow have crossed this bands orbit. Joe and Mick were just back from Jamaica and I'd guess the Clash were a couple of weeks from getting back into full swing so whatever happened, if anything at all, I'd suggest would have to have happened during that short period. I think John Harlow wasn't on board at that point, only returning for the recordings the following month, so when he casts doubt on Texs story, it's not like he can be 100% about it. Very little about the whole thing is 100% anyway which is why it intrigues me so much, it almost reads like a mystery thriller at times! Same with the recordings - Harlow seems sure it's either Egan or Nick Holmes on the tape but the article concludes that it's actually none other than....Stewart Copeland himself playing drums and Copeland seems to agree it just might well be! Wonderful stuff!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 5:54am
I think maybe there's a small window in early Jan 78 where Topper might somehow have crossed this bands orbit. Joe and Mick were just back from Jamaica and I'd guess the Clash were a couple of weeks from getting back into full swing so whatever happened, if anything at all, I'd suggest would have to have happened during that short period. I think John Harlow wasn't on board at that point, only returning for the recordings the following month, so when he casts doubt on Texs story, it's not like he can be 100% about it. Very little about the whole thing is 100% anyway which is why it intrigues me so much, it almost reads like a mystery thriller at times! Same with the recordings - Harlow seems sure it's either Egan or Nick Holmes on the tape but the article concludes that it's actually none other than....Stewart Copeland himself playing drums and Copeland seems to agree it just might well be! Wonderful stuff!
Look at the guy with the finger less gloves. Looks like it could well be Copeland.
Attachments
moors1.jpg
moors1.jpg (61.67 KiB) Viewed 1079 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 1:19pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Look at the guy with the finger less gloves. Looks like it could well be Copeland.
That pic is from a month before the recordings i think, taken in the Nags Head (Covent Garden?). So I guess it's Chrissie flanked by Harlow and Strange. For someone professing to be anxious about her identity being revealed, can't say Chrissie does a great job of the disguise tbh!

John Harlow (Moors Murderers Bassist): "The photo of the three of us in the bin liners with me next to Chrissie with a cigarette is in the Nags Head. It was where all the opera goers went for their pre show drinks and ironically we could drink in there but not in say the White Horse opposite. The opera clientele in the Nags Head were more tolerant and weren’t shocked by scruffy lads with dyed hair and you used to meet interesting people there and they’d buy you a drink because they were interested to you. It was a bit of a meeting place."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 5:26am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
That pic is from a month before the recordings i think, taken in the Nags Head (Covent Garden?). So I guess it's Chrissie flanked by Harlow and Strange. For someone professing to be anxious about her identity being revealed, can't say Chrissie does a great job of the disguise tbh!

John Harlow (Moors Murderers Bassist): "The photo of the three of us in the bin liners with me next to Chrissie with a cigarette is in the Nags Head. It was where all the opera goers went for their pre show drinks and ironically we could drink in there but not in say the White Horse opposite. The opera clientele in the Nags Head were more tolerant and weren’t shocked by scruffy lads with dyed hair and you used to meet interesting people there and they’d buy you a drink because they were interested to you. It was a bit of a meeting place."
Ahh fair enough. It's interesting as a lot of the early punk sound songs the Police had that ended up as B-sides were written by Copeland.

What I don't get now is after all the years why anyone should be embarrassed by coming forward and saying it was a bad idea and they made a judgement of error.

I can't see it harming any careers. But it is most definitely left where it is.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 6:33am
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Ahh fair enough. It's interesting as a lot of the early punk sound songs the Police had that ended up as B-sides were written by Copeland.

What I don't get now is after all the years why anyone should be embarrassed by coming forward and saying it was a bad idea and they made a judgement of error.

Totally agree. Anyone who can say they didn't do at least one dumb embarrassing thing in their teens/early 20s, i would just say has never lived. Certainly did Chrissie or Steve no harm anyway. Actually went back and listened to the Visage album a couple of nights back and reminded how good it is, really choc full of sublime 80s pop.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 6:55am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Totally agree. Anyone who can say they didn't do at least one dumb embarrassing thing in their teens/early 20s, i would just say has never lived. Certainly did Chrissie or Steve no harm anyway. Actually went back and listened to the Visage album a couple of nights back and reminded how good it is, really choc full of sublime 80s pop.
Midge Ure totally underrated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I've heard two of the tracks "Free Hindley" and "Ten Commandments" and they are crap.

Dave Goodman (RIP) said the drummer was Nick Holmes the roadie for Eater and that's good enough for me.
I think your theory -- the apparent conflation of Nick Holmes for Headon -- makes the most sense, especially since both share the same initials.

Given the consensus about the whole episode, in general, and those two tracks, in particular, I'm not surprised that clarification's been slow to arrive -- yes, we did all embarrassing or stupid things when we were younger, but as stupid shit goes, the MM episode would hardly rank among the ideal conversation topic openers at any party, or social event where people feel relaxed enough to let their guard down -- and confide this, that, and the other. :mrgreen:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 12:18pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'd even forgotten he was involved tbh. From Thin Lizzy to Visage was quite the direction change! A very talented guy for sure.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 3:52am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I'd even forgotten he was involved tbh. From Thin Lizzy to Visage was quite the direction change! A very talented guy for sure.
Slik/PVC2/Rich Kids/Thin Lizzy/Visage/Ultravox/Band Aid/Solo. A very varied career and loads of hits and he's been involved with 3 number ones I think.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 4:29am
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Slik/PVC2/Rich Kids/Thin Lizzy/Visage/Ultravox/Band Aid/Solo. A very varied career and loads of hits and he's been involved with 3 number ones I think.
He had a fascinating musical evolution. I'd never heard any Slik stuff before, it's got the obvious Bay City Rollers vibe going on, but with a distinct edge to it. The only Rich Kids song I know is Sounds of Marching Men and that's an absolute belter of a track. Have to say, though, from what I've heard of Ultravox, I think I'd prefer the Foxx stuff overall, though a long time since I listened to it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 5:36am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

He had a fascinating musical evolution. I'd never heard any Slik stuff before, it's got the obvious Bay City Rollers vibe going on, but with a distinct edge to it. The only Rich Kids song I know is Sounds of Marching Men and that's an absolute belter of a track. Have to say, though, from what I've heard of Ultravox, I think I'd prefer the Foxx stuff overall, though a long time since I listened to it.
The Rich Kids album "Ghosts of Princes in Tower" is great in my opinion and produced by Mick Ronson. Ultravox! Vs Ultravox both are good the second incarnation with Midge is more pop oriented. But there's some solid guitar work from Midge on that first album. New Europeans/Sleepwalk/Passing Strangers are fine songs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 5:40am
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The Rich Kids album "Ghosts of Princes in Tower" is great in my opinion and produced by Mick Ronson. Ultravox! Vs Ultravox both are good the second incarnation with Midge is more pop oriented. But there's some solid guitar work from Midge on that first album. New Europeans/Sleepwalk/Passing Strangers are fine songs.
I put off checking out the Midge version of Ultravox for years, but Vienna is a straight banger. I'm going to continue on although I assume the quality starts dropping as the 80 trudge on. Memory tells me that Robin Simon left around the same time as Foxx, is that right?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 2:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 5:40am
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I put off checking out the Midge version of Ultravox for years, but Vienna is a straight banger. I'm going to continue on although I assume the quality starts dropping as the 80 trudge on. Memory tells me that Robin Simon left around the same time as Foxx, is that right?
Simon left before Foxx if I remember correctly. All the albums are good in my opinion up until U.VOX which I don't care for.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia