Everywhere Is A Target Zone

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Everywhere Is A Target Zone

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 6:05pm
Heston wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 5:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 4:06pm
Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 3:49pm
Many Thanks Marky

1984, my least favourite Clash Period, but I see "Marky Dread Upload" and I download knowing it's quality.

Appreciate as always, you sharing your work..

CDS
Can't argue with that mate. Cheers.
1985 was worse.

Cheers for this Marky..
I say it got better.😉
Agreed with that Marky!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Thanks for this MD. The tracks that didn't make the record are better than nearly everything else on it!

danbot
Dirty Punk

Post by danbot »

Thanks again Marky! Given all the different sources, it hangs together very well. I especially like the sequence of the last three tunes. For me, the songs on this comp and their live arrangements fit much better next to the solo material that Joe released in the second half of the 80's. Much more so than CtC.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

danbot wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:37am
Thanks again Marky! Given all the different sources, it hangs together very well. I especially like the sequence of the last three tunes. For me, the songs on this comp and their live arrangements fit much better next to the solo material that Joe released in the second half of the 80's. Much more so than CtC.
The songs from that period are not very inventive for me. The Clash were always moving forward trying new things for better or for worse.

These songs are trying hard to forge a punk style after the band had left that era behind. They had already recorded some of the greatest punk songs ever.

The album then commits the travesty of trying to make these songs sound modern using synths are samples. I still scratch my head at what were they thinking of. They being Bernie and of course Joe.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

danbot
Dirty Punk

Post by danbot »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 4:03am
danbot wrote:
The songs from that period are not very inventive for me. The Clash were always moving forward trying new things for better or for worse.

These songs are trying hard to forge a punk style after the band had left that era behind. They had already recorded some of the greatest punk songs ever.

The album then commits the travesty of trying to make these songs sound modern using synths are samples. I still scratch my head at what were they thinking of. They being Bernie and of course Joe.
Agreed. For me, one of the things that made the Clash unique was that, with Topper and Mick, the band could swing! Even when they were a punk band playing punk rock songs. And obviously, it kept evolving from there. They lost that when Topper and Mick were sacked and Joe’s songs suffer for it both during the late era Clash and into the Latino Rockabilly period as well.

I would like to align Joe’s return to punk roots with some of the contemporary music going on with bands like The Blasters, Rank and File, and X that were mixing punk rock with roots/country music. Maybe that’s wishful thinking though and he just wanted to bring back 1977. I don’t know enough about where his head was at.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

danbot wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 11:07am
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 4:03am
danbot wrote:

Agreed. For me, one of the things that made the Clash unique was that, with Topper and Mick, the band could swing! Even when they were a punk band playing punk rock songs. And obviously, it kept evolving from there. They lost that when Topper and Mick were sacked and Joe’s songs suffer for it both during the late era Clash and into the Latino Rockabilly period as well.

I would like to align Joe’s return to punk roots with some of the contemporary music going on with bands like The Blasters, Rank and File, and X that were mixing punk rock with roots/country music. Maybe that’s wishful thinking though and he just wanted to bring back 1977. I don’t know enough about where his head was at.
Yeah if those Clash mkII songs had taken a similar approach I'm sure I would feel differently about them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia