The Call Up 12" (special remix)

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Call Up 12" (special remix)

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 5:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 5:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 4:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 4:51pm
I have always loved TCU. I really like it's melancholy feel. That line "there is a rose..." get's me everytime.
Yeah, there's this strange mix of call to action and resignation. Paradoxical, but it captures the essence of nuclear anxiety.
Yes that's it perfectly. "They gladly marched off to die" sums up all the sadness and the so called honour attached to defending a belief.
Yeah, I've always loved the lyrics for all those reasons and the concept is quite clever, but it always felt a bit limp. This definitely fixes that.

Really quite delightful to still discover new ways for the clash to thrill after all this time.

A nod to KCPortland too for bringing this all up in the first place.
I'm surprised many hadn't heard after all this time. I remember buying it and thinking how much better it sounded over the standard single release. Mind you "The Cool Up" was always a better sounding mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 5:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 4:47pm
JohnS wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 4:39pm
Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 4:21pm
Thanks Marky & Laxman
My Marky Remixed / Remastered Section is getting bigger and bigger
Words never seem enough for your efforts.
Cheers Mate
CDS
Indeed. I'm going to need a bigger hard drive.
Thanks to Marky and laxman for getting this Call Up mix out there, and for all discussing it in the other thread.
I had no idea it existed, ether.
Laxman is a millionaire He'll buy you another drive. :shifty:
Ta Mark(y). Rubbish attempt at a drive joke.
Somehow I feel I've led you down a bad path.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Nice one (again) Marky

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I have always loved TCU. I really like it's melancholy feel. That line "there is a rose..." get's me everytime.
Yeah, there's this strange mix of call to action and resignation. Paradoxical, but it captures the essence of nuclear anxiety.
Yes that's it perfectly. "They gladly marched off to die" sums up all the sadness and the so called honour attached to defending a belief.
Yeah, I've always loved the lyrics for all those reasons and the concept is quite clever, but it always felt a bit limp. This definitely fixes that.

Really quite delightful to still discover new ways for the clash to thrill after all this time.

Thank you to Marky for the file, great as always.

I always loved The Call Up, love how moody it is, although I always felt it was supposed to groove harder than S! mix led on.

Finding that YouTube rip was like hearing it the way I always wanted it to sound. The Cool Out was definitely an improvement mix wise but it's nice to hear Joe's vocal, which I really like on this track.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

this is all sorts of really cool, thank you Marky and laxman for this, its a special treat to receive Clash stuff all these years later. Cheers!
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

weller259 wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 1:28pm
this is all sorts of really cool, thank you Marky and laxman for this, its a special treat to receive Clash stuff all these years later. Cheers!
Cheers mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 5:41pm
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm surprised many hadn't heard after all this time. I remember buying it and thinking how much better it sounded over the standard single release. Mind you "The Cool Up" was always a better sounding mix.
In 20 years on here I can't recall it being discussed once. I would have been on it like Graham Bonnet.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 2:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

In 20 years on here I can't recall it being discussed once. I would have been on it like Graham Bonnet.
I made a remix ep of The Call Up a few years back. I'm sure we discussed it then.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 3:13pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I made a remix ep of The Call Up a few years back. I'm sure we discussed it then.
Maybe I missed that mate. Anyway, what a really cool mix, if only they could give the whole album a proper remix from the multitracks.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 3:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:

Maybe I missed that mate. Anyway, what a really cool mix, if only they could give the whole album a proper remix from the multitracks.
That's a huge job. Only a nutter would take that on.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 3:20pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Haha, if the cap fits. :mrgreen:

But who knows if the multitracks exist/can be located. XTC have hit a brick wall trying to find the multitracks for some of their albums for their remix series. Not all bands had their work treat like the crown jewels in the style of the Beatles. Some of the Sandinista tracks on Sound System sound slightly remixed to me, but it could just be a very deft remastering job.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 3:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

But who knows if the multitracks exist/can be located. XTC have hit a brick wall trying to find the multitracks for some of their albums for their remix series. Not all bands had their work treat like the crown jewels in the style of the Beatles. Some of the Sandinista tracks on Sound System sound slightly remixed to me, but it could just be a very deft remastering job.
Virgin were notoriously bad at storing/labelling stuff in their archive. Which is now owned by Universal. XTC had a shit contract worse than The Clash. Those tapes are there somewhere. Sure hope they turn up. Would love a remastered "White Music".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 3:50pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Virgin were notoriously bad at storing/labelling stuff in their archive. Which is now owned by Universal. XTC had a shit contract worse than The Clash. Those tapes are there somewhere. Sure hope they turn up. Would love a remastered "White Music".
Record companies in general were awful with those things. There was a case where a guy bought a warehouse in Nashville and did an inventory, finding recordings by Elvis, Dylan, Johnny Cash, and others. Columbia hadn't bothered to inventory the contents before selling the place.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 7:47am
You fuckers will miss me when I'm gone. ;)
A truer statement have never been spoken!!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 5:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 3:50pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Record companies in general were awful with those things. There was a case where a guy bought a warehouse in Nashville and did an inventory, finding recordings by Elvis, Dylan, Johnny Cash, and others. Columbia hadn't bothered to inventory the contents before selling the place.
It's nuts especially when considering the calibre of those artists mentioned.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia